Oh no! Unbeatable scenario?!

Discussion on Supreme Ruler 2010 Scenarios

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Empier4552
General

Oh no! Unbeatable scenario?!

Post by Empier4552 »

Eep. That last post i read just woke me up. While i'm always up for a challenge I have to say I get a bit scared when a dev says they cannot beat their own mission...that disturbs me a bit. If a dev who built the game and knwos it inside out can't beat a mission still how will we? how will this effect game play and advancement in the game?

I am referring at this point to China/Taiwan but are there any other missions you guys still have not been able to beat? What happens if it does become an impossible mission? Will you guys be issuing a patch? Eitherway if it is an impossible mission it would bea bit unfair.
aegisx
Colonel

Post by aegisx »

Seems like a challenge to me ;)
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

Maybe they are excelent designer/programmers but terrible leaders/rulers

:lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k of course....

I'm counting the days to when the brown truck delivers my copy!!! (Yes, I pre-ordered it)
red
General

Post by red »

I think we have a contest here. :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

remember, each mission is a stand-alone mission. It is possible to "remake" a mission if we don't like how it turns out but having some that are impossible simply allows ppl to try out certain ideas to see if they can break it. We'll just make sure everyone knows so that we don't overly frustrate them.

Documentation has been included that tells ppl how to make their own missions but it is unsupported documentation. Not that that usually stops ppl from figuring it out... ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

As well, I'm not sure where on the forum we detail this, but it doesn't hurt to repeat the differences between our 'scenarios' and our 'missions':

A 'scenario' can be either a stand-alone map, or part of a campaign game. The goal of a scenario is unification under one ruler, one way or another. In some scenarios a "unification vote" is scheduled, allowing a purely diplomatic option, in others a military approach is required. (Even the unificaiton vote scenarios can be attempted through military conquest instead, if that is your desired approach, or if you happen to be losing in the polls :-) )

'Missions' start with a scenario file but add specific conditions and situations. Example mission goals supported by Supreme Ruler 2010:

- 'Kill the Leader' (ie 'Regicide') - in our case, leaders are represented by Command Units.

- Capture a map location.

- Defend a map location.

- Hold off an attack

- Eliminate an opponent

- 'Deliver' a leader (reach a map location with your command unit)

The basic method of creating a Mission is to create a saved-game file with the 'setup', and then create a configuration file with the rules and time limits.

Missions give us the chance to add some very interesting new challenges to the game, at all sorts of different skill levels.

The China/Taiwan mission was thought of as a very interesting (and topical) idea, though after being created we found it to be rather difficult (which probably explains why the Chinese haven't tried it yet :-? )

One of the biggest challenges in the Taiwan mission is the fact that there is an 8-month time limit. As well, it is not all of China involved in the attack, but only one province (or group of provinces, I forget which). It turns out that this may be too short a time to be able to build up an invasion force, soften up the target, and do the landing.

However, I would not put it past players to come up with some creative ideas here, and possibly pull it off. And there are many simpler missions available if this proves to be too 'impossible'.

-- George.
aegisx
Colonel

Post by aegisx »

Are US forces represented in some way in the china/taiwan misson?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No, we have all US forces removed from the region since in the storyline there is no more US at that time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
aegisx
Colonel

Post by aegisx »

ahhh, forgot about that ;)
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

can anyone tell me what the armies of the countries makeup is like infantry number and such.

Return to “Scenarios”