Multi-Player game

Put all your MP game discussions right here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

raybaudi
Captain

Re: Multi-Player game

Post by raybaudi »

I suggest keeping the same schedule. I won't be working on Tuesday July 24th, maybe we can arrange a quick game there.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

No game to day I guess, too many people unavailable. I will post more later about this game.

raybaudi wrote:I won't be working on Tuesday July 24th, maybe we can arrange a quick game there.
There is no such thing as a "quick" game of SR. :P
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

if u want one that will not take 5 hours for the day to go by i suggest u start with units off
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Gi joe isn't known for playing without units.
But I agree, it will be slower...
What are the reasons you prone start with units? Maybe we can find alternatives(sending units to countries without fabs...).
However I seen games going pretty fast even with units. We'll see how it goes first, and deal with one problem at a time.

(BG should have set an option Very Low to Very high units when starting with Units...)
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

dont know how its gonna turn out but its russia for me
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I also prefere playing with units and I hope this game will not change in that departament. Why? Simply because, "no units" games remind me of a thing called "peasant rush" (Warcraft game, back in the early '90) where most important thing becomes mass production of quickest buildable unit to conquer the enemies before they have anything to defend themselves.

Also, how do you guys feel about 20:00GMT instead of 18:00 if we will play on tuesday?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

um it still remains the same with units on... playing as russia if i wanted i could destroy europe along with u right from the start...
i find it make it way to easy with them on
Nic5071
Warrant Officer

Post by Nic5071 »

hey guys minded if i join in on this game its been awhile sense a real sr2020 was put together on the forums
"you don't have to outfight your enemy you just have to outlast him" -George Washington
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

It's today but we didn't set any hour....
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

TheCyab6a wrote:if u want one that will not take 5 hours for the day to go by I suggest u start with units off
I have explained several times why I do not like a "no units" start but I will reiterate it again. There are approx. 41 countries (represented in game) that have zero capability to produce arms, of any kind. This does not lead to interesting conflicts in which the "majors" would need to watch and shepherd according to their particular goals/beliefs.

The game is what it is, it will be as slow or as fast as the engine allows it to be, but as I repeatedly stress, this type of game is not for the hyperactive youth of today that want instant gratification. It takes a patient, mature type to stick with this style. I understand that is not for everyone.

TheCyab6a wrote:um it still remains the same with units on... playing as Russia if I wanted I could destroy Europe along with u right from the start...
I find it make it way too easy with them on
There are MP games advertised on these very forums that allow you to do anything you want, I believe you yourself have one here which seems likely to be a very lively and fun event for all participants. However the game I am trying to get together has a certain rule set to engender a particular atmosphere of gameplay reminiscent of certain Geo-Political machinations of the past. One of the great things about SR is that it caters to numerous play styles and we are free to pick and choose which one we prefer to involve ourselves with. Win-Win all around.

Niko465 wrote:What are the reasons you prone start with units? Maybe we can find alternatives(sending units to countries without fabs...).
However I seen games going pretty fast even with units. We'll see how it goes first, and deal with one problem at a time.
Suppose you are a moderate sized country and you have 6 land fabs. Do you want to be the one to give away a certain % of your units to 40 or so countries around the world for x number of months/years until they are armed?

Nic5071 wrote:hey guys minded if I join in on this game it’s been awhile sense a real sr2020 was put together on the forums
Any and all are welcome, please be sure you understand the rule set, to keep the atmosphere of the game alive.

There are entirely too many different schedules to accommodate everyone, unfortunately that is the reality of life. I envision this being a nice intellectual, moderately paced game that may well last months of real time. The last MP game I played of SR lasted 18 real time months, so you get an idea what I am typing about. (This was playing one day a week for 2- 3 hours a session). The schedule was constant, never changed, so people who were truly interested could make plans days, weeks, months in advance to set aside 2 - 3 hours once a week. I plan on keeping a set schedule which allows everyone to play if they so desire without worrying about a few running a short notice "pickup" game and ruining the dynamic of an individual’s "strategy" based on the real time actions of others in the game.

To that end, I will be on GameRanger at a set time and a set day once a week for anyone that chooses to participate in this type of game. I am currently leaning towards Saturdays at 1245 pm Eastern. (You will need to decide what that correlates to in your particular time zone) Game will start promptly at 1pm. I will be there at least 15 minutes prior to do any testing, etc., if anyone requires it, but I WILL push launch button at 1pm. All countries without a human player will default to AI control. At the end of each session I will save game and post a link so that people who wish to join next session may do so with current values.

If there is a better all-around time I would be pleased to read it and we may change the "proposed" scheduled meet time, but keep in mind, we will never meet everyone’s expectations for time/date.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Jul 25 2012, edited 1 time in total.

TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

and i have stated befor as well im happy with this type of game i dont like world conquest i like sitting back watching it go to hell and is why i was interested in this one but my nation i asked for first has been taken
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

GIJoe597 wrote:
TheCyab6a wrote:if u want one that will not take 5 hours for the day to go by I suggest u start with units off
I have explained several times why I do not like a "no units" start but I will reiterate it again. There are approx. 41 countries (represented in game) that have zero capability to produce arms, of any kind. This does not lead to interesting conflicts in which the "majors" would need to watch and shepherd according to their particular goals/beliefs.

The game is what it is, it will be as slow or as fast as the engine allows it to be, but as I repeatedly stress, this type of game is not for the hyperactive youth of today that want instant gratification. It takes a patient, mature type to stick with this style. I understand that is not for everyone.

TheCyab6a wrote:um it still remains the same with units on... playing as Russia if I wanted I could destroy Europe along with u right from the start...
I find it make it way too easy with them on
There are MP games advertised on these very forums that allow you to do anything you want, I believe you yourself have one here which seems likely to be a very lively and fun event for all participants. However the game I am trying to get together has a certain rule set to engender a particular atmosphere of gameplay reminiscent of certain Geo-Political machinations of the past. One of the great things about SR is that it caters to numerous play styles and we are free to pick and choose which one we prefer to involve ourselves with. Win-Win all around.

Niko465 wrote:What are the reasons you prone start with units? Maybe we can find alternatives(sending units to countries without fabs...).
Suppose you are a moderate sized country and you have 6 land fabs. Do you want to be the one to give away a certain % of your units to 40 or so countries around the world for x number of months/years until they are armed?

Nic5071 wrote:hey guys minded if I join in on this game it’s been awhile sense a real sr2020 was put together on the forums
Any and all are welcome, please be sure you understand the rule set, to keep the atmosphere of the game alive.

There are entirely too many different schedules to accommodate everyone, unfortunately that is the reality of life. I envision this being a nice intellectual, moderately paced game that may well last months of real time. The last MP game I played of SR lasted 18 real time months, so you get an idea what I am typing about. (This was playing one day a week for 2- 3 hours a session). The schedule was constant, never changed, so people who were truly interested could make plans days, weeks, months in advance to set aside 2 - 3 hours once a week. I plan on keeping a set schedule which allows everyone to play if they so desire without worrying about a few running a short notice "pickup" game and ruining the dynamic of an individual’s "strategy" based on the real time actions of others in the game.

To that end, I will be on GameRanger at a set time and a set day once a week for anyone that chooses to participate in this type of game. I am currently leaning towards Saturdays at 1245 pm Eastern. (You will need to decide what that correlates to in your particular time zone) Game will start promptly at 1pm. I will be there at least 15 minutes prior to do any testing, etc., if anyone requires it, but I WILL push launch button at 1pm. All countries without a human player will default to AI control. At the end of each session I will save game and post a link so that people who wish to join next session may do so with current values.

If there is a better all-around time I would be please to read it and we may change the "proposed" scheduled meet time, but keep in mind, we will never meet everyone’s expectations for time/date.
Nothing against Start with Units, just making suggestion for Cya.
I always work on Saturday.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

i dont care to start with units or not i just like not to is all and starting with units on does affect the speed of the game is what im saying
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

TheCyab6a wrote:but my nation i asked for first has been taken

I saw Nikos post bottom of page three asking for Russia or China, I saw your post, 4th post of Page 4, also asking to play Russia. I had to go with first come, first served.

But, since Niko cannot make a saturday game, ever, I will change you to Russia should you want to show up on saturday.

Keep in mind it is only wednesday atm, as I type this, and that saturday date can still be ammended if more people would prefer a different day.

SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

6pm GMT time on a Saturday. I know for a fact I will not be able to play every weekend, so would it be possible for me to join this game, or would it not be permitted? (I do like your ruleset, I like these kind of games)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040

Return to “Multiplayer Games”