MP 'game lounge'

Put all your MP game discussions right here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Pwned9080
Colonel

MP 'game lounge'

Post by Pwned9080 »

If I was willing to host and make a script for a MP lounge would you guys at BG be willing to code in the client side of this? This doesn't really matter to me, I just kind of want a project that would be fairly challenging. Speaking from web dev this wouldn't be to hard to do just simply recording what games are accepting players and displaying that on clients. If there is no way to do this, or that this will be included that's fine. Thanks for a great game.
George Geczy
General

Re: MP 'game lounge'

Post by George Geczy »

From a quick overview of the issues, one of the biggest problems with making an MP matchmaking system is to help overcome the issues of NAT traversal (getting the game itself to work with routers and various operating systems), an area in which we don't have much expertise. So simply having an MP 'lounge' that can record games and players might get halfway there, but if the lounge/host can't help to connect the client systems for the peer-to-peer game then you don't actually succeed.

In theory the concepts of connecting peer-to-peer games through a matchmaking host are not very difficult, but not having done the dirty work before means that we've not run into all the exceptions to the theory yet :)

-- George.
Pwned9080
Colonel

Post by Pwned9080 »

Ah, that makes sense. I've never done that either so I can't help. Not that it really matters to me. But thanks for the reply.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Thanks a lot for the offer! Matchmaking is one element that is, unfortunately, missing in SR2020, though we'll continue to look into it for the future.

-- George.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”