U7 Submarine battle

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

U7 Submarine battle

Post by catatonic »

Well I just finished my third battle with Russian subs and twice they have kicked my butt. Playing as the U.S.

I am playing Ruges mod with FOW turned off to speed up the game. Subs are clearly visible - so far.

I had asked the other guys on the Ruges mod thread if they had seens subs move in U7:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ve#p109276

I had read peoples's reports that they did, but I had not see it yet.

The first time I shot ASROCs at two Russian subs off the West coast of Korea and sank them. They fired missiles at me but did not move until they were badly damaged.

This second time I spotted two coastal Russian subs off the coast of Mancheria near Nakhodka. I loaded up three Oliver H. Perry-class frigates with ASROCs and went after them. The ASROCS have a range of 100 km. As I was closing with the subs one opened fire at me with missiles at about 160 km. It turned out that there were not two but three Russian subs and one of them did move towards me as it attacked. I managed to fire a couple of ASROCs at them but they sank two of my Frigates. I only wounded two of them.

The third time about five Russia subs at the Komsomolsk-na-Amure base moved East along the Amure river in response to my invasion of the Russian Sakhalin island and its oil platforms. They moved one at a time. I was successfully blockading the river with about eight of my captured Chinese subs. My subs took some hits, but when the Russian would get real close my subs would kill it.

During this battle I moved some of my Chinese DDs with ASROCs closer to the Northern end of Sakhalin island. The next sub that moved towards the mouth of the river opened fire on my valuable destroyers and sank two or three of them before they could get away. My sub-pack then killed that Russian too.

This pissed me off so I sent back to CONUS for help. I deployed two P-3 Orions and three S-3B Viking aircraft. The Orions got there first and I had them attack the next to the last Russian sub.
In two passes the Orions bearly dented the sub, but the sub tore them up badly - Russian subs have AA you see.

This is when I gave up, decided to cut my losses and let the remaining subs live. The Vikings were late to the battlle and did not get used.

There are some surprising and alarming things about this:

1) As Ruges said - some of these subs are nasty. They can throw missiles at you and you can't touch them. And of course the Russian ones are the worst.

2) The P-3 Orion has so few supplies - just 9 tons between six aircraft. Two shots at the sub and they were done. Other Figher/Bombers carry about five times as many supplies.

3) My modded ASROCs have insufficient range to launch from ships against these nasty targets.

4) I don't have any air-dropped ASW missiles. I modded and used some in previous games, but now I can't find the design anywhere. I think that it was an air-launched Sea Lance...

The Viking has even less supply per aircraft than the Orion. Maybe I better split/merge both units types to build them up more.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: U7 Submarine battle

Post by Ruges »

Sub wars with FOW off is not as exciting as with it on. Emagine doing those battles with it on. Those subs just magicaly appearing and sinking your ships. Or even worse, they shooting your ships without being spoted, So all you notice is your ships getting killed for no reason.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Ruges wrote:Sub wars with FOW off is not as exciting as with it on.
Only seeing by spotting is the way to play this game. Having a full visual of the world map would take the fun and strategy away from the game imo.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Ragu wrote:
Ruges wrote:Sub wars with FOW off is not as exciting as with it on.
Only seeing by spotting is the way to play this game. Having a full visual of the world map would take the fun and strategy away from the game imo.
I tend to agree with you - I always start out my games with the default. But then I start experimenting and need to take a peek here and there. And then I gradually lose patience with the slow speed of the game and switch it off perminately.

Catatonic - 2012
makaron111
Lieutenant

Post by makaron111 »

I just set SR-s progress priority higher. Altho its a real shame that SR doest use four-cores. :-?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

catatonic wrote: I tend to agree with you - I always start out my games with the default. But then I start experimenting and need to take a peek here and there. And then I gradually lose patience with the slow speed of the game and switch it off perminately.
+1, I have been planning for a long time to buy a I7 but I got no money... :-(
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

makaron111 wrote:I just set SR-s progress priority higher. Altho its a real shame that SR doest use four-cores. :-?
That would be the "process" priority, set from the Windows Task Manager.

That is a good idea. Doesn't help on my particular laptop machine however.

But you know what? In trying this in my current game (Ruges mod August 2021) I switched FOW back ON, and it runs OK, even at "Normal" game speed. I think that a lot of units have gotten killed off in 20 months.

I assume that I can still see killer Russian aircraft coming at me since they will be moving.

Catatonic - 2012
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

catatonic wrote: But you know what? In trying this in my current game (Ruges mod August 2021) I switched FOW back ON, and it runs OK, even at "Normal" game speed. .
You know this was somthing I wanted to test. As I noticed some strange differences turning testing of my mod. But did not try it enough times to see if the results where conclusive.

But what I noticed. A game started with FOW on, was slow. A game started wtih FOW off was much faster. A game started with FOW off, and then turned on a couple months after the start would run faster then if it had started with it on, but slower then if it had started with off. A game started with FOW on, and then turned off a couple months after the start would run slower then if it had started with FOW off from the start.

But still would need to test this a few more times to see if the results where the same. Could have been a fluke in what I had seen.
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

In my current game as Cuba, I have played with FOW on and the US subs are making small work of anything that I send into the water. I have been using the Tu-145M (I think) ASW acft and its supplies are used far too quickly as well. One or two hits against the US subs and its returning to base while the subs are only showing moderate to mild damage. I do not consider this to be a huge issue as it causes me to have to pay more attention to the subs. I believe the AI needs tweaking a little more so that once a sub is attacked it will relocate and wait to recommit itself to the fight. Additionally, that sub should seek out a different area in which to conduct its mission whether recon, anti-ship, etc.

Tony
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

makaron111 wrote:I just set SR-s progress priority higher. Altho its a real shame that SR doest use four-cores. :-?
How much faster does it make the game run?
makaron111
Lieutenant

Post by makaron111 »

Not too much.
But, my CPU load went from 25% to 50%.(4-core Phenom II 920), so it had some effect :) .
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

catatonic wrote:Well I just finished my third battle with Russian subs and twice they have kicked my butt. Playing as the U.S.

I am playing Ruges mod with FOW turned off to speed up the game. Subs are clearly visible - so far.

I had asked the other guys on the Ruges mod thread if they had seens subs move in U7:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ve#p109276

I had read peoples's reports that they did, but I had not see it yet.

The first time I shot ASROCs at two Russian subs off the West coast of Korea and sank them. They fired missiles at me but did not move until they were badly damaged.

This second time I spotted two coastal Russian subs off the coast of Mancheria near Nakhodka. I loaded up three Oliver H. Perry-class frigates with ASROCs and went after them. The ASROCS have a range of 100 km. As I was closing with the subs one opened fire at me with missiles at about 160 km. It turned out that there were not two but three Russian subs and one of them did move towards me as it attacked. I managed to fire a couple of ASROCs at them but they sank two of my Frigates. I only wounded two of them.

The third time about five Russia subs at the Komsomolsk-na-Amure base moved East along the Amure river in response to my invasion of the Russian Sakhalin island and its oil platforms. They moved one at a time. I was successfully blockading the river with about eight of my captured Chinese subs. My subs took some hits, but when the Russian would get real close my subs would kill it.

During this battle I moved some of my Chinese DDs with ASROCs closer to the Northern end of Sakhalin island. The next sub that moved towards the mouth of the river opened fire on my valuable destroyers and sank two or three of them before they could get away. My sub-pack then killed that Russian too.

This pissed me off so I sent back to CONUS for help. I deployed two P-3 Orions and three S-3B Viking aircraft. The Orions got there first and I had them attack the next to the last Russian sub.
In two passes the Orions bearly dented the sub, but the sub tore them up badly - Russian subs have AA you see.

This is when I gave up, decided to cut my losses and let the remaining subs live. The Vikings were late to the battlle and did not get used.

There are some surprising and alarming things about this:

1) As Ruges said - some of these subs are nasty. They can throw missiles at you and you can't touch them. And of course the Russian ones are the worst.

2) The P-3 Orion has so few supplies - just 9 tons between six aircraft. Two shots at the sub and they were done. Other Figher/Bombers carry about five times as many supplies.

3) My modded ASROCs have insufficient range to launch from ships against these nasty targets.

4) I don't have any air-dropped ASW missiles. I modded and used some in previous games, but now I can't find the design anywhere. I think that it was an air-launched Sea Lance...

The Viking has even less supply per aircraft than the Orion. Maybe I better split/merge both units types to build them up more.
I created some new ASW weapons here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 48&t=16762

Catatonic - 2012
Madzcat
Lieutenant

Post by Madzcat »

Hmm my Q9550 uses all four cores though it seems to use cores 3 and 4 the most. And setting the priority to high helped get a little more cpu usage, I get about 50% up from about 43%. Though I noticed my ram usage is at about 60-70% so I wonder if upgrading to 64 bit would help at all.

Sorry for the kinda unrelated post.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Madzcat wrote:Hmm my Q9550 uses all four cores though it seems to use cores 3 and 4 the most. And setting the priority to high helped get a little more cpu usage, I get about 50% up from about 43%. Though I noticed my ram usage is at about 60-70% so I wonder if upgrading to 64 bit would help at all.
I run a core2duo, 4gb ram and win 7 x64. Im getting CPU fluctuations from 35%-75% on average, and a stable 48% RAM usage.

Return to “After Action Reports”