A smaller World 2020 game

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

The Algerian War

Post by catatonic »

July 6th, 2028

Algeria has re-captured the Tunisian territory previously re-captured by the U.S. forces. Now the U.S. will have to capture the Tunisian coast again, this time in the opposite direction.

But the Algerians seem to have stopped beating up on Tunisia. The U.S. only used 100 units to invade Libya, leaving 200 some units still in Tunisia surrounding the Tunisian Capital of Tunis.

The Tunisians keep asking when Steven Spielburg is coming back.

The 56 remaining units from Russia, stranded in Turkey, are being retrieved by sea transport.

We need to be mindfull of the U.N. That last DOW turned out bright green ratings to a kakhi-yellow.

July 23rd, 2020

The U.S. DOWs Algeria and we are off again. Intelligence reports that Algeria is armed with Russian-made APCs and AA and Pakistani tanks. They are estimated to field about 15 BMPs, 17 Engineers, 10 tanks and 6 fighter planes. Apparently much of their armor has been attrited by Tunisian forces. Two of its badly wounded tanks can be spotted headed back to their barracks at Al Jjaza'ir for repairs.

Even though this should not be much of a challange, the Libyan invasion force has been recalled to Tunis.

The U.S. starts with an attack on the Algerian air/sea base at Annaba, to the West. After easily defeating the two enemy BMPs there it is an easy advance to the Algerian capital at Al Jazair.

The U.S. waits a day or two for their supply line to re-establish and then attacks Al Jazair with ships, Engineers and barrages of missiles.

August 1st, 2028

U.S. Engineers rush the Capital and Algeria Falls.

Tunisia immediately bounces back, regains its old territoory and annexes a huge square of former Algerian land to the South that extends 1300 km into the Sahara Desert.

The U.S. gets new oil fields in both Algeria and Libya and a whole lot of dry sand.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

East Coast Evacuation

Post by catatonic »

August 1st, 2028

Earlier this year the U.S. shut down the entire pacific North-West defense network - everything North of San Francisco. All land units were moved to Asia, leaving only a dozen AA units at Fort Ord, Monterey and 35 Marine units at Camp Pendleton North of San Diego. All West coast fabs were closed except for the San Diego NSSCO shipyard and the missile fab near Oakland. However many air-fields, aircraft, sea-piers and ships still remain.

Now the U.S. begins a total deployment of all U.S. land units from the Eastern continential U.S. to its new regions in Northern Africa. The only two inland fab/bases, the Fort Bragg and Fort Benning airborne bases, are also evacuated and their entire contingents are air-lifted to their new base on the coast of North Africa at Al Jaza'ir, Algeria. The airborne base at Corpus Christi, Texas will soon be simularly deployed to Tunis, Tunisia.

Most CONUS land fabs are already shut-down. Each region that the U.S. captures from now on will come with one or more land fab, so new land unit fabrication can easily be moved over-seas - the same place where the weapons will ultimately be used. The extensive system of land/air fabs in Eastern Russia will become very important in providing weapons for African and Middle-East operations.

Tank production continues at Fort Hood, Texas. This will soon be halted since tanks are so heavy and difficult to transport over-seas.

The Marine base at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina had already been emptied of its Marine units. All that remains to be deployed are three air-dropable M8 tanks, two M901E ATs and 8 air-dropable artillery pieces.

Panama has already been emptied of land units and is now only serving as a parking lot for U.S. ships. The same goes for Puerto Rico. Cuba and the CIs have been emptied.

Coastal barracks from Charleston, SC up to New York City were previously constructed with this day in mind - all were deliberately built on the Atlantic coast and were equipped with convenient sea-piers and air-strips to allow easy pickup and transport of their units over-seas. Now all nine are emptied of their land units. All units stand by their respective sea-piers and await the arrival of transport ships.

October 6th, 2028

The evolution is performed in stages, one section of coastline at at time, with heavy units such as tanks and armor being transported first.

Many transport ships have arrived at their pick-up points and many more are on their way. All reserve barracks have been evacuated and shut-down.

The loading of 57 tanks has been completed and all tanks are in-transit to Dar-El-Beda on the Morrocian Atlantic coast. The U.S. has only ten tanks in Africa so far.

The evacuation of airborne units at Fort Bragg, Fort Benning and Corpus Christi has been completed and many are still in the air, on their way to North Africa.

It is decided that since XAV infantry units are air-dropable that they will all be flown to Africa. The transport aircraft are now idle so this will give them something to do and it will free up transport ships for the remaining units waiting on the East coast for transport.
The land fab at Fort Hood has been shut-down, but Warrior II units are still being turned out at Fort Bragg. The fab at Fort Monmouth is turning out MIM-212 AA units.

CONUS aircraft production is still going strong. World-wide the U.S. is producing unit like mad - Land/Air/Sea/Missile MilCap = 60/43/5/87, the highest in the world.

December 11th, 2028

The land unit evacuation of CONUS is complete. The only combat land units that now remain in the continential U.S. are newly fabricated units that just rolled off the fabrication line.

I rank these as two of the strangest things that happened in this game - first these 8 transport ships, instead of delivering their units to North Africa as instructed, decided to deliver them to the Bath Iron Works sea-pier in the State of Maine:

Second - these 45 transport ships all decided that there was an important pickup that needed to be made in - wait for it - Greenland:

So now all of my little guys have been safely transported to Africa and can be deployed to invade our next target - Egypt.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Turkey/Iraq War

Post by catatonic »

January 7th, 2029

Just an update - it was announced in February of 2028 that Germany, Hungry, Bulgaria and Romania, Iraq and Iran had all DOWed Turkey. At the time it was suspected that this would be the end of Turkey. Not so.

Iraq has made the most progress against Turkey, taking nearly all of Eastern Turkey as far West as the Turkish Capital of Ankara. But the surprising thing is that Turkey in turn has also spread West, taking much of Bulgaria and some of Southern Hungary.

Germany, who at first strongly attacked Turkey has apparently lost interest and is now involved in a war with Austria.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Taking Egypt

Post by catatonic »

Egypt War

January 7th, 2029

The past month has been spent pre-positioning my "Africa Corps" for its attack on Eqypt. I am on very shaky ground with the U.N. after having DOWed Algeria and Libya. I see that my C.B. against the world has fallen to just 87% across-the-board, down from 100% early last year. I must do something about that.

Anyway, this "pre-positioning" consisted of maving all of my African units to Eastern Libya and then sorting them into little "piles" - by type. Now I can select a few from this pile, a few from that and formulate any kind of strike-group that I want.

But the first order of business is to pre-position my naval unit among the dozens of Egyptian naval vessels that guard its Mediterranian coast. For this plan I brought 23 cheap diesel submarines that I captured in South America. I will spread them tactically among the un-suspecting Egyptian ships along with supporting surface DDs and FFs loaded with Harpoon missiles.

With these missiles pre-authorized for launch, when I DOW Egypt my surface ships will let-fly and my submarines will automatically attack. Here is the result:

February 2nd, 2029

The U.S. DOWs Egypt. No more Egyptian navy:

Now our ships can re-arm with NTACM missiles and the ground war can begin. The U.S. starts out with a small diversion in the South - we place 40 Engineers, XAVs, ATs and artillery down in the desert, 750 km South of Cairo, 600 km West of the Aswan dam project. We also sent an E-12 Astronomer patrol aircraft to spot for them. When the war started they crossed into Egypt to attract some attention. Hopefully this will lure some armor away from the Egyptian Capital in the North.

Egypt has a thriving arms industry and has not been weakened by a war with any other region that I we are aware of. And they have been armed by - guess who? The United States.

Intelligence counts about 180 deployed Egyptian units. There is not a lot of armor in evidence in the North around Cairo, but there are a lot of fighter planes. Most of their tanks seem to be wandering around in the Southern desert - good.

The U.S. has 500 land units, 50 ships and submarines, one aircraft carrier loaded with Falcon AC and 15 F-22A land-based fighters.

The U.S. moves East into Egypt with about 166 land units. There is too much enemy AA in-country so the U.S. fighter cover is left behind. E-12 patrol aircraft were set to patrol safely behind U.S. lines.

The U.S. again made a slow approach and attempted to surround the the Egypian capital on the North and West. However, unlike in Tripoli, the Cairo metro area is huge and each protective town and villagehad garrisons and armor protecting it. Penetrating this urban area was costly for the U.S. and many units were re-cycled back to the "hospital".

Enemy fighters attacked but were hurt and driven off by the heavy U.S. AA units.

March 1st, 2029

Things worsened the nearer U.S. units came to Cairo. Dug-in enemy Engineers took days to destroy, even when surrounded with U.S. armor and artillery.

March 27th, 2029

Despite U.S. patience and two months of wearing the enemy down, the final attack on the capital ended up in another "fur-ball", which of course the U.S. won.

Egypt Falls. The good guys win - again. Egypt lost 367 units (mostly garrisons). The U.S. lost 13 units and suffered 13,000 casualties.

The U.S. now had a decent base of operations in Northern Africa - large arms fabs, a lot of sea-piers and air-strips and two new oil fields. And Northern Egypt is centrally located to all of the action that was likely to occur within the next year. And now the U.S. controlled the Suez Canal.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Casus Belli

Post by catatonic »

The constant pressure from the U.N. for the U.S. Imperium to "play nice" and not conquor their neighbors is beginning be annoy the Supreme Ruler. SR calls in the U.S. Foreign Minister and they devise a solution.

The Imperium now controls many regions and it can claim to represent these regions in the U.N. The U.N. Security Council consists of fifteen members - five permenate members - China, France, the Russian Federation, the U.K. and the U.S., plus ten non-permament members. Current non-permenate members are Austria, Lebenon, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Egypt, Gabon, Nigeria, Turkey and South Korea.

But the U.S. Imperium OWNS Mexico, Brazil, China, Russia, Egypt and South Korea and so controls their votes. The U.K. will vote with the U.S. which gives the Imperium virtual control of the SC. Any move to down-grade or expel the Imperium from the U.N. can be headed off before it even gets to a vote in the SC, so the U.S. can now ignore the rules of C.B. and conquor any region that it wants.
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 28 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Clearing a Path

Post by catatonic »

The next U.S. goal is to clear a path for U.S. units fabricated in Russia to freely pass down to Egypt. Currently the U.S. has no Land Transit treaty with Syria or Iraq and this prohibits our new units from passing through Iraq-controlled Turkish territory and Syria down to Egypt.

It is decided to take out the U.S.-hating Iraq first. But if it is Iraq-controlled Turkey that is blocking the U.S. convoys, what if the U.S. takes Turkey instead? Wouldn't that "roll-back" Iraq so it wouldn't block the U.S. shipping route?

Turkey's Capital of Ankara is teetering on the edge of being taken by Iraq, so time is of the essence.

Ankara has some AA protection but is unprotected on its North. An airborne assault just may be possible if the planes approach from that direction.

It is worth the risk of getting a transport aircraft dented if it at least completes its mission and delivers its drop-units.

The mission is quickly organized. This is the perfect opportunity for the newly arrived airborne units to prove themselves. The leap Infantry has "leapt" from Tunis to U.S.-controlled Annaba on the Mediterranean. Tarabulus is full of C-5A aircraft - perfect. An airborne assault team is quickly assembled and in the air, headed for the Greek air-strip at Lemnos. From Lemnos the planes have a straight shot at Ankara.

The force departs Lomnos and fly slightly to the North of Ankara for a Northerly approach. The transports complete their mission with only minor damage from Turkish AA.

April 14th, 2029

The assault force is of sufficient size and has enough supplies to accomplish their mission as well - they take Ankara. But wait - if you take a region's Capital, aren't you suppose to take the region too?

Not in this case - by taking Anakara the U.S. got - well - Ankara, and a few surrounding hexes. They also go a small desolate patch of South-Western Turkey. And that was all.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Clear a Path, Take 2 - The Third Iraq War

Post by catatonic »

April 15th, 2029

OK, now the U.S. owns Ankara, but Ankara is practically wearing Iraq like a sweater. It is time to go back to plan 'A' - take Iraq.

This might not turn out to be as hard as one might think - Bagdad is really no better protected with AA than Ankara was. Actually, Baghdad is probably less well protected. And there are plenty of Leap Infantry and Warrior units ready to drop into Baghdad.

And this way we might even end up actually owning Turkey this time.

This time the mission is launched from Iran. This allows a straight shot at the unprotected East side of the Iraqi Capital.

Four big Boeing 747-400ER transports are loaded with MRF-x mechanized airborne units.

April 19th

The air-drop on Bagdad is executed. Two of the big, expensive transports get badly bent. The drop is successful and after a long, brutal fight Baghdad is taken.

Iraq Falls (again). Only five of the MRF-x units survive the mission.

This time the U.S. gets all of Iraq and all of Turkey, except for the Western strip through the Darnells that are now held by Romania.

And passage from the U.S. arms fabs in Russia is now possible through a narrow strip of U.S.-controlled road between former Turkey and Iraq. So it is no longer necessary to take Syria to obtain passage.

But that is OK - we were going to take Syria anyway...
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 28 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Alliance with Israel

Post by catatonic »

April 19th, 2029

As you know (if you have been paying attention) I deliberately avoided forming an alliance with Israel due to the diplomatic "baggage" that such an alliance carries with it. It wasn't until I took Egypt though that it occured to me - if I don't ally with Iisrael, then I will have to take it.

But Israel is at war with Iran again and the region is once again packed with combat units. I think that the only reason that they have not attacked Iran is that they had no access.

So I don't want to fight against that many units. Maybe I should ally with Israel. At this point in the game, how could it hurt?

And if I do ally with them, then they will have a clear path to attack Iran, since the only regions blocking them from doing so are their allies Jordan and now the U.S.-controlled Iraq.

The U.S. State Department contacts the Israelis and the pact is made immediately.

Wow - that was easy. Now let's see what Israel does with Iran.

April 20th, 2029

Iran DOWs the U.S.

Well, maybe someone resented us allying with Israel....
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 28 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Plinking Sudan

Post by catatonic »

So who am I going to pick on next? I was thinking Syria, but then I looked down and saw Sudan. What a pain in the world's butt. In this modded game with combined regions, the capital of "greater" Sudan is Bur Sudan (Port Sudan) on the Red Sea. And it is only lightly unprotected with no AA. What a slam-dunk!

OK let's do a little cherry-picking. Put some para-troopers on a plane and drop them on Bur Sudan.

May 27th, 2029

Plink! Sudan Falls.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Greater Israel

Post by catatonic »

June 8th, 2029

Look what Israel does once it slips its leash:

It drove across Jordan and U.S.-controlled Iraq and took half of Iran, all of the way to the gates of Tehran. How cute!

And look - it took half of Iraq away from the U.S., leaving us with two cute little blue islands, one with Baghdad inside!

I knew that Israel was going to be a pain in my butt...

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

War with Syria

Post by catatonic »

May 8th, 2029

Ok boys and girls, this one will be no "slam dunk". Syria is a serious customer and is heavily armed against Israel. DoD simulations show that this operation has the potential to be a blood-bath for both sides, due to the thirty or so BMPs that surround their capital. So the key words here are "slow and easy":

[Image

In this modded game Lebanon is now a part of Syria so the Capital of Syria is now Bayrut. That's OK, I can take Bayrut as well as I can Damascus.

Since the bulk of the Israeli Defense Force has beat-feet East towards Tehran, there is plenty of parking space in Israel for me to use to work Syria. Let's see - I'll take a lot of Engineers, some XAVs, some more XAVs and some more XAVs. And just for laughs, I'll throw in about 50 M1090 tanks, some SS-80 MLRS, WS-2 missile launchers, M202 Crusader artillery (they'll hate that), a lot of heavy AA, some AC-130 gun ships, and some F-22A fighter jets. And that should do it!

Oh! I forgot - some FFGs, DDGs and Crusiers to bombard the crap out of their coastal capital.

June 8th, 2029

And sure enough, if you just take it slow and easy you can eventually wear the big-bad Syrians down. You can even take your time and build a nice barracks/air-strip in the hex right next to Damascus :

June 10th

Syria Falls.

Damn, I'm running out of targets...

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Mixed News from India

Post by catatonic »

India, who DOWed Afganistan in 2028 and who is currently battling the crazed, evil regime in Myramar is once again at war with Pakistan at the feet of the Himilayas.

The last time I checked India and Pakistan had worked out a peace treaty. Now I when I check up on India's progress in their war on Afganistan, I am surprised to find that Pakistan has taken the North-Eastern Indian base at Jullundur and is closing in on the Indian Capital at New Delhi!

All of the new weapons that the U.S. sent to India seem to be clustered around Mumbai to the South:

Again U.S. military advisors are sent to India to offer tactical guidance.

April 15th, 2028

India is soon properly mobilized and heavy Indian forces are massed West of New Delhi to protect the Capital. Pakistan stages a strong counter-attack which is repelled by India's more powerful U.S.-supplied units. The effort seems to exhaust the supply of Pakistani armor.

The Indians now go on the offensive and themselves push forces West to reclaim their super-base in Jullundur and to rescue the state of Punjab from Pakistan. This is made all the easier with the conspicuious absence of Pakistan tanks and APCs.

India successfully retakes Jullundur, reorganizes and re-supplies in preparation for a final big offensive to take the Pakistani capital at Islamabad, 300 km North-West.

May 1st, 2029

India has now called in all units from Northern, Southern and Western coastal India. Indian forces now greatly out-number the scattered Pakistani defenders, so the march on Islamabad begins.

Progress is slow since the logistical "tail" is slow to keep up with the spearhead of the Indian invasion. But eventually Indian troops take Lahore:

and Kharian and are positioned to lay siege to Islamabad itself.

May 9th

But India is fighting wars on two fronts. News arrives that India's latest drive into the heart of Myramar:

in the East has met unexpected success. After nearly a year of war, the U.S. enemy Myanmar has finally fallen to India:

May 15th, 2029

Indian units slowly wear down the Pakistani Capital's defenses and bring up strong AA to deal with the Paki airforces. The Indians attack Rawalpindi and its air-field there. Pakistani aircraft flees West to the large airbase at Kamra. Islamabad is now open for a direct attack.

May 23rd, 2029

India units rush Islamabad. Pakistani airforces from Kamra counter-attack but bounce off the strong Indian AA.

Pakistan falls to India:

[Image

July 32st - Afganistan falls to India

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Battle of Tehran

Post by catatonic »

I know what I can do next - I can take Iran away from Israel. That should piss them off. This is what Tehran looked like prior to the Israeli attack in May:

what cannot be clearly seen is the cloud of fighter planes that cover a seven-hex area.

June 1st, 2029

The Israelis have already started work on the project:

The U.S. forms a special attack group, designed to reduce the Iranian super-base at Tehran. In total 315 land units are selected. The center-piece consists of 57 new modded long-range M2020 Phaser tanks that are beginning to roll of the fabrication line in Russia and Egypt.
In addition there are 50 M1090 FCS tanks, modded long-range SLAV6 Eagles, modded long-range XAVs, long-range modded M118A4s, LAV-MUs, modded long-range LFV-1s, 25 M5B2 ATs, 35 SS-80 MLRS artillery and long-range MIM-210/212 AA.

July 1st, 2029

The Iranian super-base has been attrited by over 80% and the U.S. attack force is about to rush the Iranian Capital of Tehran:

We are fighting on Israeli territory and Israeli units keep getting in the way, like they are trying to steal the city from us.

July 3rd

Tehran Falls to the U.S.

It is now official - Israel is now a bigger pain in my ass than Kazakhistan. I take Tehran and Israel gets Iran - life is very unfair.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Albania

Post by catatonic »

July 17th

I look around for new targets and discover a "boggy" on my "6" - Albania. A small boggy, I'll grant you - more like a booger. It sits back there in Europe like un-completed homework.

Intelligence reports towed AA Gun protection only in the Capital of Tirana. We have a clear path for an airborne assault from the North-East.

Another slam-dunk.

July 20th

Albania Falls.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

World 2029

Post by catatonic »

World 2029

Things are looking good for the U.S. Imperium:

We control or are allied with 99 of the world's 125 regions. We have reached tech level 162.

Our DAR is 39% - high by Imperium standards.

However MAR is down to 49%, despite our military conquests. Constant warfare is taking its toll on my military. Perhaps some DEFCON 5 is in order.

July 20, 2029

We send another huge shipment of captured/obsolete arms to our ally South Africa.

Catatonic - 2012

Return to “After Action Reports”