A smaller World 2020 game

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

The Invasion of South Korea

Post by catatonic »

August 19th, 2024

RESTRICED ACCESS

Department of Defense Briefing - 1245 hours

Ladies and Gentlemen we have the latest sat photo of the U.S. advance into greater South Korea. Show it now please.

As you can see Phase I is complete - U.S. units have successfully created their foothold on SK's Western border as ordered and are holding in place.

We will now order Phase II to commence. I am sure that you all wish our brave soldiers well as they attack the Korean Capital at Soul, and hopefully put an end to this conflict.

End of Briefing
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Strike on Soul

Post by catatonic »

August 20th, 2024

RESTRICED ACCESS

Department of Defense Briefing - 1400 hours

Ladies and Gentlemen as you know, Phase II of the Korean operation was begun yesterday, code-named "Operation Soul Brother". Out tacticians decided to take advantage of the fact that with the advice of our military advisors in SK last month, the bulk of SK's units have been moved off the Korean pennisula and into former China. This gives U.S. forces the rare opportunity to perform a full airborne assault on a major capital city. According to intelligence reports Soul is wide open.

The operation is in two parts: it begins with a feigned land invasion of the Korean pennisula from U.S. land bases South of Vladivostok. This is designed to draw off SK mobile units from the Capital. The second part is of course the actual air-drop. Originally we only planned for three planes full of paratroops from Vladivostok, but simulations indicated that in order to have a safe margin of success we needed a second contingent of the same size. It is now in the air and is flying from its far Western base in Nanchong in what is now India. Both groups have had to dodge SK AA coverage to arrive on target.

OK, I am told that the aircraft are now approaching their target. Let's watch. Lights please.

Here you can see the fake land attack approaching Soul from the far North. Our two U.S. air-groups have successfully evaded SK anti-aircraft fire and are approaching Soul to drop their cargo of Marines and Warriors.

Here is a closer view of the Soul area:

Well, all planes have dropped successfully and are egressing out to sea and will RTB to bases in Vladivostok. The since the battle may last for several days we will adjourn.

End of Briefing
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 10 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Fall of Korea

Post by catatonic »

August 24th, 2024

RESTRICED ACCESS

Department of Defense Briefing - 1400 hours

Ladies and Gentlemen I have some good news and some sad as well - the airborne assault on Soul, Korea was a success and the "South" Korean government has surrended greater Korea to the U.S. Could we have the sat imagery please?

The sad news is that a majority of the assault forces were killed in action, as were six of the transport aircraft that risked themselves to re-supply the mission on the ground in Soul. Apparently enemy forces in Soul were stronger than we predicted. The U.S. lost 89 units in a week - a record.

Strategically, most of our goals were met. We captured China/Korea within the borders that we attempted to enforce. We did not however obtain the sea port at Guangzhou from India. However will take the secondary objective - the other port at Fuzhon. Here is the sat image:

We also won a 1100 units and doubled our military staff from 2.7 million to 5.5 million.

Catatonic - 2012
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Re: A smaller World 2020 game

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Nice,You play this lan right? :P
Because its lil strange you have green star on moscow and sk enters bejing.
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Vuk-Wolf wrote:Nice,You play this lan right? :P
Because its lil strange you have green star on moscow and sk enters bejing.
If you mean multiplayer then yes, occasionally.

Like in this next story.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

An Israeli Make-Over

Post by catatonic »

December 23, 2024

I made a decision early on not to ally with Israel - too much diplomatic baggage. Befriending Israel is like a having an ugly sister - you have to pay people to date her.

But I got tired of getting pleading E-mails from her so I decided to do something. I asked my State Department to go
"extra-diplomatic" - outside of normal diplomatic channels and do something about Israel.

I looked on the map and what I saw was no surprise - Israel was literally spilling over with units. Predictably she
was at war with a region that she could not reach - Iran. 15 kills, 13 killed, 397,753 active duty personnel. DAR

24%, MAR 50%, DEFCON 1. Massive military build-up. Ranked 14th in world arms production but near the bottom in
population.

$7.4 billion treasury, no debt. GDP $46,346. Well, that's all good. But then why all of the begging? The State
department sent in the ambassadors and the auditors. The ambassadors arrange peace with Iran.

The auditors adjust income taxes to less than 50%, set other taxes to 2% and adjust social spending to sane levels.

The Israeli Defense Minister is bound and gaged. DEFCON is lowered to 5. All weapons construction is stopped. All
units are put on low initiative. Dozens of old units are scrapped. All remaining units are placed into reserve.

Production facilities are added so that the region can be self-sufficient.

Then we left.

The last time that I checked Israel was once again at war with Iran, and it appeared as though they might have repelled an invasion - a lot of her units were deployed in the center of the region. Her treasury was a healthy $30,821, still no debt. GDP up to $48,360 DEFCON 3, DAR 30%, MAR 60%. Tech level at 106, up three points.

And no more begging! Mission accomplished.
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 14 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Final War with Mexico

Post by catatonic »

February 10th, 2025

Now with both Russia and China neutralized I can attend to business a little closer to home - my turbulent Southern border to be specific.

By now I have built up TONS if C.B. against Mexico, due to their repeated DOWs. So now I decide that it is time to cash that check.

Over the years I have built a defensive network of fortifications, modded gun emplacements, barracks and air-fields along the Mexican border. I now deploy the dozens of units held in reserve there for just this occasion.

I traditionally use the invasion of Central and South America as an exercise intended to flush old, obsolete units out of my inventory. The go to SA, the fight, but they do not come back. Unfortunately none of my allies is currently at war, so there is no longer any region to donate weapons to. Everyone is involved in a disgusting world-wide love-fest, all allied with one another.

Units deploy all along the border from San Diego to Brownsville, Texas. There seem to be enough, including air-power. I pull all of my old tanks and APCs from reserve elseware and supplement this Southern army with them. So now all of my Abrahms M1A1 and M1A2 tanks, all of my Bradley fighting vehicles, M118s and Bradley recon units are going South, except those already deployed to China.

I form three battle-groups and we slowly move South to take the Capital at Mexico City (a.k.a. Ciudad de Mexico), bypassing Mexican strong points such as Monterrey. We move slowly, waiting for the blue supply cloud to form around us. The Eastern group moves South along the Atlantic coast. The others move South through Central Mexico. We construct barracks and air-fields as we go.

Resistance is light since Mexico has wasted its armor on futile wars against the U.S. for years now. Also the population is sparce. Tampico is an obsticle on the coast but it is quickly neutralized.

Mexico's Atlantic navy was destroyed in 2024 so there was no naval activity to speak of. I brought plenty of AA but so far we have only encontered prop-driven enemy fighter and patrol aircraft. If Mexico has an effective airforce then they will be waiting for us in Mexico City.

The supply cloud is slowly cultivated and after a couple of months my battle groups have formed an offensive arc from North-West to North-East around Mexico City. We have plenty of artillery and missiles and so we just slowly reduce the city's defenses. I perform surgical missile strikes on all armor and artillery targets in the Capital using WS-2 MLRSs units until I run out of land-launched missiles.

After another month we have fully surrounded MC. No more enemy aid rolls in from the South. Any enemy air units have long since fled before our strong and long-range AA units.

The WS-2 MLRS launches missiles but it has long-range MLRS fire as well. What I learn however is that even when kept well supplied, the units have weak supplies and initiative. The damage that these unit were doing was evident, but it was very slow and weak. My other artillery was brought up as well, but much of it was not long range. Wearing down each city surrounding the Capital was a long, tedious task. Entrenched Engineers were nearly impossible to kill.

But eventually the Capital appeared to have been weakened enough for a direct attack. At a game "Military Difficulty" setting of "Very Hard", no Capital is easy to take. The Mexicans fought tooth-n-claw buy eventually my little guys took the Capital.

October 2nd, 2025

Mexico falls.
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 14 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

A China Hangover

Post by catatonic »

Sept, 2024 - July, 2027

Taking China is never easy and winning it can be painful as well - too much of a good thing.

First you must repair all of your units - yours and theirs. Then you must inventory the spoils, scrap or donate what you don't want to keep. In 2024 there was not many Chinese units that I did want to keep.

Then you inherit a huge army. I don't know about other players, but in my Imperium we run a tight, no-waste operation. Few or no garrisons. The bulk of my units are held in reserve. Unused bases are closed and ultimately scrapped. Arms production is frequently halted altogether, except for missile production. The result is that I usually require about 1.2 million active military personnel.

Now I check and I have 5.6 million personnel. Too many!

Another thing is that you inherit one billion or so new citizans who have been living in third-world conditions. They now want fresh water, electricity and consumer goods at the same level as the rest of the Imperium. This leaves the Supreme Ruler with an emergency of shortages to deal with. Such plants cannot be constructed over-night. Striking a new balance between supply and demand of water and electricity is nearly impossible. The more I built, the more were required.

And I didn't even get all of China this time - just the North-Eastern part (and Korea).

Then I de-garrison the entire country. This is about as much fun as killing fleas and takes much longer.

Then you must hunt down, close or scrap all of the unnecessary air-fields, sea-piers and barracks in the country. China has an incredable number of air-fields and many of them are concealed inside large cities where they cannot be spotted visually. Each barracks must be searched for occupants.

And finally you must intelligently re-deploy your units and construct new border defenses.

Whew!

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Battle of Havana

Post by catatonic »

March 18th, 2026

Now it was time to start working on destroying the regions on my enemies list. This consisted of virtually all of the regions that I had not allied with - 1 in the Caribbean , 5 in Central America, 10 in South America, 23 in Africa, 2 in Europe, 11 in the Middle East and 6 in Asia. 58 "neutral" enemies all together.

But many of them I lacked sufficient C.B. against.

Cuba has 74% provocation against me by now and I am very surprised that they had not DOWed me by now. When I terminated all relations with Cuba, the UN hardly reacted at all - my UN approval fell from grass-green to a slightly yellow green (whatever that means), but still "Delighted". U.S. treaty integrity remained unchanged at 92%. Go figure.

I only had 65% C.B. against Cuba, but I decided to go ahead and take the U.N. sanctions and DOW Cuba anyway. My treaty integrity dropped 15%, my UN approval went from "Delighted" to "Satisfied" and my subsidy dropped 10%. But it will recover - it always does.

When I attack Cuba I usually attempt to take back the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo, but that entails fighting all of the way up the island to take its Capital at Havana. I have resolved to speed up the pace of this game, so like with Canada, I decided on an immediate surgical strike on the Cuban Capital.

This was an easy decision because air-recon showed surprisingly weak air defenses at Havana. My transport planes would get nicked but they would complete the mission. Being on the Northern Cuban coast, Cuba's Capital was a "sitting duck" for an airborne assault. The capital has one old AA gun, and Engineer, three APCs and three artillery pieces. The U.S. Marines could handle that so long as I could re-supply them from the air.

Since Havana is on the coast I brought up naval assets with strong AA, including one CVN. I placed them just off the Havana sea-pier in international waters. This would keep the Cuban airforce off the the U.S. Marines in Havana.

To protect the surface ships from Cuban warships I placed a strong submarine force off each of its sea-piers, including the one at Havana.

I gathered my C-5A and C-17A transports and sent them to the amphibious forces barracks at Brownsville, Texas. But when I started to deploy the Marines there I discovered that I had 20 Mechanized Reaction Force units there too. I selected these instead. I loaded them into their transports and flew them to Homestead A.F.B. in Southern Florida.

I set up air recon patrols off each Cuban coast. Surpression of Cuban air and naval forces worked flawlessly, so I launched the airborne assault. I placed the transport planes into a battle-group and flew them due North of Havana. When they approached from that angle they had the maximum protection of the naval units. The air-drop also went flawlessly with damage to only one of the transport aircraft.

The battle went well with the MRF-x units rapidly neutralizing the seven garrisons and beginning to work on the eight stronger remaining Cuban units. When the pace of damage to the Cuban defenders slowed, I brought in the transport planes again to deliver a quick supply-drop.

March 30th, 2026

This was all that was required. Cuban artillery and armor were slowly but surely neutralized until we received the golden message: "We took their Capital".

"Bonk" and Cuba was ours.

Unfortunately losses to the assault force were heavy.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

A Palace Coup in the C.I.

Post by catatonic »

In this modded game I have lowered the region count from 184 to just 125. One step in this effort was to merge all of the Caribbean islands into one region called - wait for it - the Caribbean Islands.

Unfortuately, unlike their island neighbors of Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Bahamas and Jamacia, the CI were sore at the U.S. because of its high MilCap. Therefore the CI sided with Canada, Mexico and Cuba in refusing to ally with the U.S.

The U.S. State Department tried repeatedly to negociate with them to become allies of the Imperium, but each time they stubborly refused to negociate anything more than the basic four or five diplomatic treaties.

Too bad for the CI. However, the U.S. problem now was that I could not afford to DOW anyone else without serious degradation of its diplomatic standing. Some more skull-duggery was in order.

April 5th, 2026

The Supreme Ruler calls in his C.I.A. Director of Covert Operations and presents the problem. It is decided to pull a scam on the CI simular to the one that was used on South Korea.

This time the U.S. C.I.A. arranged a coup using U.S. military operatives disguised as tourists. These units were placed off-shore of the nearly undefended CI capital at Fort-de-France aboard a transport disguised as a cruise-ship under the Brazillian flag.

The C.I.A then used N.S.A. advisors to fake a diplomatic E-mail from the CI to the U.N., declaring war on the U.S. When the war notification from the U.N. was released, the "cruise ship" immediately docked at Fort-de-France and the U.S. "tourists" disembarked and headed for the Presidential Palace in the Capital. Before anyone knew what had happend the CI President was on a plane to Cuba.

The CI was now the newest member of the U.S. Imperium.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Game Reset

Post by catatonic »

But these sub-rosa shenanigans could not continue. The fact was that the U.S. plan for world domination had come to a halt. The plan was to ally with half the world and then militarially defeat the rest. But with the cozy state of the world's regions the only active war was that between Argentina and Brazil. For most of the regions scheduled for furture military operations, the U.S. lacked sufficient C.B. to avoid distasterious diplomatic repercussions.

This left the U.S. with three choices:

1) Use diplomacy to ally with the majority of the remaining regions and then use military operatons on the remaining few miscreants.

2) Continue on the war-path up and down Central and South America and then the rest of the world.

3) Go extra-diplomatic and change the state world relations globally.

Solution number 1 was un-acceptable. Why attempt world domination using just E-mails?

Solution 2 was simulated at the State Department and war-gamed at Defense. The conclusion was that if the U.S. DOWed all of Central America then the U.S. would be thrown out of the U.N. This would trigger an avalanche of desertions amoung U.S. allies. Thus the list of nations that would need to be taken militarially would double, making a very long conflict even longer.

It was decided to go "extra-diplomatic" and reset the world's relations.

This was very successful in that it resulted with all of the world's regions having very high C.B./Provocation against each other, including the U.S. But no wars broke out since everyone was still allied to nearly everyone else. And those that could not ally for some region did not interact enough to exasterbate their relations to the level of DOW.

This continued world piece was very disappointing because the U.S. would still not have anyone to donate excess armaments to, and it would have a LOT of extra arms.

But the important goal was achieved - the U.S. could merrily continue to invade and conquer the remaining countries on its enemies list.

Catatonic - 2012
TheBulgarian
Warrant Officer

Post by TheBulgarian »

Can u please upload a picture of the Balcan Peninsula
Macedonia
Is
Bulgaria
!!!
Humans evolved from apes,only the Macedonians evolved from the Bulgarians!!!
BULGARIA
UPON
ALL
New Mod Suggestion!SIGN UP
catatonic
General

Guatemala and the Central America Campaign

Post by catatonic »

Immediately following my victory over Mexico I rushed units South to the Guatemalian border to construct a barracks and fortification at each road crossing, at the coast and by the river to the East of the eastern-most road. I also initiated several air-fields and moved my Mexican naval assets to the South-East corner of the Yucatan Peninsula near Chetumal. By the time I got Mexico sorted out and de-garrisoned these facilities were nearly complete.

I moved all of main body of units down there, sorted they by class and reserved them in seperate barracks. I also posted guards at all of the fortifications. There they stayed for about five months while I was tormenting Cuba and the CI, cleaning up China and attending to domestic matters.

I now had sufficient C.B. against the Central American regions (and the rest of the world) to DOW them all and roll down and take the strategic prize of Panama.

I had expected the CA regions would just be "speed-bumps" on the way to Columbia so I had not brought my best units. I was wrong.

April 10th, 2026

I attacked Guatemala and was immediately surprised when one of my SSGN guided-missile submarines opened fire on a Tourist Attraction at Belize (now a provence of Guatemaula). I got distracted by this and was caught by surprise by the initial strength and furosity of the Guatemalian attack. Most of my little guys at the border were still in reserve and it was very dicey deploying the soft AA and Recon units without getting them mauled.

Since I don't have a save-game of this, here is a re-enactment:

I have re-deployed my air-power to Florida for the Cuban attack so all that I had in Southern Mexico were 20 attack helos - Apache-Longbow and Super Cobras. I use them for the first time this game on the Guatemalian Engineer rush. I don't like early tech attack helos, but I loaded these with modded 2000-pound bombs and they did all right.

Later I re-opened air-fields along the entire lenghth of Cuba and started to use it as sort of a very-big aircraft-carrier. I re-deployed my air assets from Florida and parked them there. Then I moved 7 of my "old reliable" F-16C Fighter/Bombers to the Guatemalian battle-front and used them for precision missile strikes on Guatemalian armor.

Once I got about 100 Engineers, Bradly IFVs and Strykerss deployed I eventually got the upper-hand on the Guatemalians, crossed the border and formed a battle line at Guatemala City, North of their Capital at San Salvador. This flushed out their air-units there. There we stayed, expanding our supply lines and neutralizing all of the Engineers that they sent North to challange us. I moved our air-assets down to occupy our newly captured air-field.

Once they stopped sending Engineers we moved the line Southward to laye seige to their Capital. But the Guatemalians had heavy artillery and ours was still in storage up in Mexico. We immediately started taking heavy shelling from the mainly soft enemy units around the capital. So we could either back off, wait and deploy tanks and artillery from Mexico or just rush the capital.

April 27th, 2026

I ordered my infantry to rush San Salvador and take out the enemy artillery before it could do us any more damage. They were a tough bunch, soft units or not but my 100 infantry units finally took their Capital.

Guatemala falls. On to Honduras.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

The Central America Campaign

Post by catatonic »

Let me just fast-forward a bit here - the remainder of the CA campaign was repetitous and always involved a DOW, invasion, attrition, advance, capture and finally logistics.

I would DOW a region, invade it and set up a battle-line. Then I would burn up all of the attackers until they stopped coming. Then I would advance to the next large city or base complex and finally to the Capital. The capital would be bombarded and then taken.

Again, I had still left my artillery, tanks and recon units behind in Mexico. All of the units that were sent South on the Central and South American campaign were scheduled to be scrapped at the end of the mission.

Logistics consisted of repairing damaged units, scrapping most of the captured ones, de-garrisoning the entire region and moving up naval units on both coasts.

May 17th, 2026

Here is a screen-shot of Nicaragua's Capital of Managua, defended by only Conscripts, artillery, AA, out-dated aircraft and hand-held TOWs against my 86 armored units and long-range AA.

Here is Costa Rica - a country that supports no standing army, guarded by Engineers, artillery and Abrams tanks:

The next important destination is Panama.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Panama

Post by catatonic »

I have no save-game of the start of the second U.S. invasion of Panama, but as I recall I shouted "Ronald Reagan!" and they all ran away.

But, all seriousness aside, Panama is an important prize for several reasons, the foremost of which is that in its center lies the Panama Canal. Control of this complicated stretch of water and technology allows the Supreme Ruler to move his American naval units from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific, and for his units to roll from Washington, D.C. down to Rio Grande, Argentina.

July 10th, 2026

Here is a screen-shot of Panama City after Panama expended most of its infantry attacking U.S. invasion forces. It is now guarded by two Engineers, one tank, two APCs, AA and artillery, against our 100 armored units:

July 12th, 2026

Panama falls to U.S. forces.

Later in the game this becomes an important over-seas deployment point for the U.S., so we build supplementry sea-piers and air-fields here.

Catatonic - 2012

Return to “After Action Reports”