A smaller World 2020 game

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Taking Madagascar

Post by catatonic »

October 9th, 2031

Previously, after a long lay-off I had resumed my attempt at finishing the game. But without adequately re-familiarizing myself with the strategic situation in Africa, I suffered a major brain-fart.

I made the incorrect assumption that invading Madagascar would be a major challange and so set off organizing a massive, month-long support effort from my extensive assests in Asia.

This consisted of moving our air and naval assests to Southern India, flying all 200 Asian airborne units to Africa and organizing an amphibious assault using many of the 720 land units being held in reserve in Malaysia.

CVNs and carrier aircraft were deployed from CONUS to Malaysia and then on to India. We used this opportunity to deploy several CVNs from the CONUS East coast to the Atlantic coast of Africa as well. Anticipating a shortage of transport ships, we loaded up the CVNs with assault units.

At some point I realized that this was unnecessary in real game terms, but as weird as it may seem, I really enjoy organizing things more than I enjoy destroying them.

October 18th, 2031

A month later when it finally came time to invade the East coast of the island of Madagascar, we were VERY well prepared with land, sea and air units from all over Asia. After all, this would be our last opportunity to use them.

The U.S. OOB consisted of five battleships, six CVNs loaded with aircraft and assault land units, 9 transports full of assault units, 34 submarines, two Crusiers and 38 frigates. Damn - we neglected to bring any destroyers.

The 38 frigates were armed with Harpoon missiles, but would have no naval targets to fire them at.

Thirteen huge transport aircraft full of airborne units sat at hot alert, engines running, on the runway at Nampula, South Africa, off the North-West coast of Madagascar.

October 14th, 2031

Diplomatic relations with Madagascar are broken and war follows.

The amphibious assault is launched. U.S. warhips and carrier aircraft attack Madagascarian (MCs) land units defending the vital sea-pier at Toamasina. Crusiers, battleship and carrier-based A-12 Avenger II figher/bombers fire salvos of NTACMs missiles at MC coastal defenders. The aircraft drop 2000 lb bombs on MC defenders as well.

U.S. stockpiles of NTACMS missiles is now expended, except for those loaded aboard warships outside of the MC theatre of operations (and that is a lot of missiles).

October 21st

U.S. Navy units having expended their land-attack missiles, conduct shore-bombardment on stubborn MC units defending the sea-pier. Fresh MC units continue to flow from their captial and elsewhere.

U.S. troop transports have repeatedly been ordered to land at the MC sea-pier, but refuse to move into MC waters until the sea-pier is clear of defenders.

October 30th

Enemy defenses of the target sea-pier are finally neutralized to a sufficent extent that U.S. troop transports will approach and unload their assault units.

A solid beach-head is quickly established, sufficent to turn away further MC attackers. U.S. AA is so strong that MC air retaliation is not even a remote possibility.

November 3rd, 2031

The amphibious assault was just a feign however, designed to draw defenders from the MC Capital. With the U.S. beachhead firmly established, the MC Capital defenses are depleated to the extent that a U.S. airborne assault is now feasable.

The one-two punch lands and Madagascar Falls.

Four battleships, two cruisers and 21 frigates are lost clearing the sea-pier for the transports. Maybe we did not over-prepare after all.

All of the CVNs and several of the transports, loaded with hundreds of assault forces, were never unloaded onto the MC beachhead. Their unfortunate passengers finish out this campaign floating in the Indian Ocean, watching passing sea-snakes, getting sun-burned and sea-sick.
Last edited by catatonic on Jan 30 2010, edited 3 times in total.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Victory

Post by catatonic »

January 7th, 2032

Namibia Falls:

Hurray for me! Crown me the Supreme Ruler for my third world-wide victory!

[Th-th-th-that's all folks!]

Catatonic - 2012
DerAlte
Warrant Officer

Re: A smaller World 2020 game

Post by DerAlte »

Congratulations and thank you for this AAR, it gave me usefull inside into some game mechanics, and fun to read, too.
but as weird as it may seem, I really enjoy organizing things more than I enjoy destroying them.
...oh, I know this feeling very well :-)

One question, I see mails in your inbox like "Ally reports critical shortage", I see some so far unknown buttons on the side and the top of your map panel (all in your victory screenshot that is). Is that modded or part of the original GC plus patches?
I am on GC 6.6.2 and so far I still miss the recently implemented email notifications of wars etc. Have not seen even one and wonder if anything went wrong during update. So any information re the map panel would be helpfull as it might finally prove that my update is not up to date. For example I still have a scroll bar left side of the global map.

Thanks and again - great AAR!

Rgds,
Martin
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

DerAlte wrote:Congratulations and thank you for this AAR, it gave me usefull inside into some game mechanics, and fun to read, too.
You're welcome.
One question, I see mails in your inbox like "Ally reports critical shortage", Is that modded or part of the original GC plus patches? I am on GC 6.6.2 and so far I still miss the recently implemented email notifications of wars etc.
First, check your Game Settings box (Ctrl-Shift-S) is should show "6.6.2" above the communications text box.

Next go to Player Options/General (top button). There are sliders there to adjust news and E-mail. If ya ain't got em then ya ain't got 6.6.2.
I see some so far unknown buttons on the side and the top of your map panel (all in your victory screenshot that is).

Balthagor gave out some mods for us to beta-test. I think that they are still available. The changes to the controls are quite extensive. Here they are:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 48&t=16164

Catatonic - 2012
DerAlte
Warrant Officer

Post by DerAlte »

Thanks for your explanations. Yes, I am on 6.6.2 but have just recently discovered that my email and news sliders can be set to one level below default, from "normal" (IIRC) to "All". I have changed them now but have not seen any additional email or news. Maybe no war broke out since I changed settings. But should not the update now also include notifications when building of units is completed? I have not seen any and I have heavily built after the slider move.
Bests,
Martin
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

DerAlte wrote:But should not the update now also include notifications when building of units is completed?
Units (tanks, APCs, ships, planes) - no.

Facilities and bases - yes.

Catatonic - 2012

Return to “After Action Reports”