MongoliAAR - The Wrath of the Mongols

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Re: MongoliAAR - The Wrath of the Mongols

Post by Gonzar »

3th April 2026 And here comes the first war declaration: Russia declares war on us. Another stupid AI movement. Russia is at war with almost every neighbour and one would think they would apreciate to have a peacefull front at the far east. No. They don't. Our border with Russia is large. This is the eastern part. I let enough border forces to defend it more or less in its actual line. Still it will be a bit of harassment to keep an eye everywhere. I will continue with a defensive stance with minor advancements until we see if any other neighbours declare war. But for the less faithfull outthere. Don't worry. We will conquer Russia following the steps of our ancestors, and this time we will conquer everything.
Mon-CAW-003.png
3th April Skirmishes all over the russian border. The first serious situation we localize is provoked from the Mig-25 squadrons in Verino, near Khabarovks. They are decimating my units with missiles and bombarding them. I sent F-35C squadrons to deal with them, but i fear it would not be enough to stop my units from being killed. I order a total assault from the batallions in the area.
Mon-CAW-004.png
4th April Assault is ongoing. Our INF squadrons are fast, they are already fighting the facility defenders. The fight on the air is slowly destroying the Mig-25s.
Mon-CAW-005.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

4th April 2026 Sri Lanka declares war on us. No common front, with the exception of naval engamements i don't expect any troubles with them. May be if they send an amphibious assault fleet we can sink them :D .

4th April the military facility of Verino is taken, all remaining Mig-25 have fled. Now for the city of Khabarovk.
Mon-CAW-006.png
5th April Khabarok falls and the area is secured. All over the russian border combat with enemy Mig-25 squadrons are at place. They are full with missiles and cause many casualties. The air fights end always with the victory of the F-35 C, but they also suffer many casualties.

6th April 2026, back to Cambodia. This is the state of the front. After 6 days of combats they have lost 321 units vs none on our side. It is time to storm the capital and see if they surrender.
Mon-CAW-007.png
7th April 2026 combats arround the capital, the cambodian have sent about 50 engineers to defend the capital. This will slow the conquest a bit.

7th April capital taken, will they surrender?

8th April they don't surrender, the new capital is Kampong Saong to the south at the sea (blue circle). I don't think they will hold much longer. Assaulting the new capital.
Mon-CAW-008.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gonzar on Sep 20 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

9th April capital taken.

10th April Despite the horrendous casualties of their army, they seem to be ready to fight to the last man. No surrender yet. The new capital is Batdambang (blue cirlce). Storming it.
Mon-CAW-009.png
10th April capital taken.

11th April and they surrender. Cambodia is part of the Mongol Empire now.
Mon-CAW-010.png
These are the casualties from the cambodian war. 714 units at their side vs. one at our side.
Mon-CAW-011.png
And now for Russia.

News from the world:

1th Mar 2026 Haiti is conquered by Dominican Republic
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Id suggest leaving Malaysia and below alone,as they both have large amounts of island territory thats out of the way,so to speak.

Just take all the mainland but them ,then go after India.

Youve said you roleplay at times, so im wondering also,do you leave sizable forces in conquered regions,even though they cant revolt,for roleplay reasons ?
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

tkobo wrote:Id suggest leaving Malaysia and below alone,as they both have large amounts of island territory thats out of the way,so to speak.

Just take all the mainland but them ,then go after India.
Yeah, that was also my intention. To take Thailand and keep the border to Malaysia while advancing towards India. But now, we will handle first with Russia.
tkobo wrote: Youve said you roleplay at times, so im wondering also,do you leave sizable forces in conquered regions,even though they cant revolt,for roleplay reasons ?
I do indeed. I have over 100 INF units in garrison tasks securing strategic places, similar to what i would do if there was a risk. Remember i do not have garrisons, so i must guard them actively.
I also have several small task forces along the coast for fast action should the case of an amphibious invasion arise, though i am almost 100% sure my navy and coastal airforce would sink any aproaching ship. In both cases i do it for roleplay reasons, but only when i can afford it, both monetary and from manpower. At the moment this is the case in this AAR, so i have them all over the conquered territory.
Last edited by Gonzar on Sep 21 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

Russia. To say that Russia is big is surely an understatement. But i intend to follow a conquest strategy, where the russian size don't have any negative consequence for my army. We will follow a simple strategy: to minimize our active front, where i will concentrate units to just roll over any enemy position. We will concentrate land and air forces. We will slowly advance from the east to the west. Our main enemy will be the russian air power and their missiles. We will try to deal with them under conditions where we have the advantage. Our second main problem will be the russian long range artillery and AAs, similar to what the chinese had.

Our first offensive will take here place: Khabarovks Krai and the island of Sakhalin.
Number 1 shows the city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur and the nearby two military facilities, one naval the other airforce.
Number 2 is the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and the nearby airforce military facility. They are key to control the Sakhalin Island.
Number 3 is also an airforce military facility, the only settlement along this part of the coast.
We will first take number 3 with an land assault. Then we will take the Sakhalin Island with an airborne assault of our Special Forces with helicopters. To ensure that there will be no defensive airforce, we will destroy with missiles the airforce military facility before the airborne assualt. The last objective will number 1.
Mon-RUW-001.png
We will have to wait until our forces are redeployed.

17th April 2026 Assaulting objective 3, there were no aircrafts at the base.
Mon-RUW-002.png
Military base taken. Now for objective 2. In order to be able to target the air base we send a spy there. We send also three other spies to recon the city and the two oil production facilities at the north
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

18th April 2026 Spies arrive and send recon information. It seems there are no airforces here either. Also no land forces besides the garrisons. Hmmm... may be is not necessary to destroy the facility with missiles. We will riks it and send our chopters with the special forces directly. Each helicopter carries two special forces units. We will send 3 to each one on the island. It is possible, even probably that russian airforces from the mainland try to intercept the chopters after the landing. We will send F-35 to patrol the area between mainland and the island to prevent it. Lets go.
Mon-RUW-003.png
18th April 2026 This is our first airborne operation in this AAR, so lets take a closer look on how developes. Aproaching the objectives.
Mon-RUW-004.png
Forces deployed without further problems. The city defenders are the expected, just garrisons. But...we miscalculated the forces in the military facility. It seems there were undeployed reserves. Specifically the Werewolf helicopters are an unpleasant surprise, they already damaged one of my helicopter squadrons. I order the helicopters to withdraw to the mainland. This fight will be only fought by the special forces. I am confident they can do the job.
Mon-RUW-005.png
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

Still no russian airforce reaction from the mainland. Our helicopters arrive savely. I send the one to repair. Our special forces fight fiercely and they are winning.

19th April Objectives conquered, with no unit losses and almost no casualties. I love the special forces.
Mon-RUW-006.png
All settlements on the island are in our hands.
Mon-RUW-007.png
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

25th April aproaching our third objective. We send spies to recon the area. It seems there aren't many units defending it. There should be some aircraft repairing though.
Mon-RUW-008.png
We continue the advance and prepare the first airforce missions. I send some F-35 squadrons with anti-ship missiles to get rid of the carrier.
Mon-RUW-009.png
28th April forces are in place, i order the assault.
Mon-RUW-010.png
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

29th April 2026 all objectives have been conquered, this part of Russia is defeated. I take some remaining isolated production facilities with airborne assaults, including four oil derricks near the Sakhalin Island. Those will be protected with subs.
Mon-RUW-011.png
1st May 2026 the small settlements in the Kuril Islands, near Japan, are also taken through airborne assaults.
Mon-RUW-012.png
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

We send spies to recon the two settlements and the military facility near Petropavlovsk in Kamchatka. There seem to be no other defensive forces than garrisons, though our past experience shows us that there could be air units in reserve in the military facility. We decide to risk an direct airborne assault. Again three helicopter units will be send to both spots, a single one to the ungarrisoned in the north.
Mon-RUW-013.png
8th May 2026 the settlements in Kamchatka were taken, there were no airforce in the mil facility.
Mon-RUW-014.png
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

Excellent use of airborne insertion. As you know, I use that technique very often myself.

One thing I would like to mention, I do not land helo's on the hex where combat is to take place. I generally land 2 hexes away. This does not prompt the garrison to pop and the helo and ground units are both in Stealth mode. Nothing worse than taking the time to prepare an assault force, load the helo's, then have one or more turn away before unloading due to ground fire.

This allows the ground units to advance towards your objective unseen in most cases. They will engage any units they come across, but they do not capture land, so it does not trigger a response from the defender. This is also the reason I use Special Forces instead of the Green Berets many use. They can last longer unsupplied. Special Forces combat time = 100, Green Berets = 50

If there are units other than garrisons stationed in the target hex the stealthed ground units will engage them and you can actually move into the target hex (city/facility) without popping the garrisons. Once in the city I will often order them to entrench prior to removing stealth. (no idea if it helps, but it seems the right thing to do)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
littlesquare.dot
Sergeant

Post by littlesquare.dot »

Gonzar wrote:Long live our fallen heroes.
Uh... nevermind.

That aside, very interesting thread. Your style of play couldn't be more different than mine, but it's cool to see how different people approach the game.

Also, where does one find the casualty count?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Press A in game. This brings up the Score Card, select Tab II. Columns 5, 6 and 7 are the pertinent ones.

The click route is State Dept.>Scorecard icon on the STATE window below radial dial.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Gonzar
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Gonzar »

GIJoe597 wrote:Excellent use of airborne insertion. As you know, I use that technique very often myself.

One thing I would like to mention, I do not land helo's on the hex where combat is to take place. I generally land 2 hexes away. This does not prompt the garrison to pop and the helo and ground units are both in Stealth mode. Nothing worse than taking the time to prepare an assault force, load the helo's, then have one or more turn away before unloading due to ground fire.

This allows the ground units to advance towards your objective unseen in most cases. They will engage any units they come across, but they do not capture land, so it does not trigger a response from the defender. This is also the reason I use Special Forces instead of the Green Berets many use. They can last longer unsupplied. Special Forces combat time = 100, Green Berets = 50

If there are units other than garrisons stationed in the target hex the stealthed ground units will engage them and you can actually move into the target hex (city/facility) without popping the garrisons. Once in the city I will often order them to entrench prior to removing stealth. (no idea if it helps, but it seems the right thing to do)
Very nice suggestions as always, thanks this is surely helpfull for many people.
In fact i did know it, through i don't always make it that way. Usually i control through spies if there are any AAs or airforce that could damage the helicopters. If there aren't i usually make the direct aproach as shown in this AAR so far, thats the reason i call them airborne assaults. But you are right that there is always a chance that the chopters get damaged. Using the stealth aproach is both, more secure and more realistic. It is also quite fun to see your troops advancing undetected through enemy land.
Here, i made some of the airborne insertions the way you describe. Here the deployment of the special forces stack some hexes away from the objective. The helicopters return undamaged and the units move towards the city.
Mon-Airb-001.png
Once inside the city they get active and attack the garrison.
Mon-Airb-002.png

Return to “After Action Reports”