Random events? How often

Get installation help, discuss issues, and submit bug reports in this section. Take a read through before posting... sometimes your problem may have already been discussed.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

maciekpl
Lieutenant

Random events? How often

Post by maciekpl »

I've started a World 2020 campaign in GC, set the random events to high, medium volatility. Soon after starting the game I've got the event saying I've lost some money from the treasury. OK, cool. But now it's September 2020 and no new events happened since the first the one in Jan. How often do other players get those random events?
Last edited by maciekpl on Jan 31 2009, edited 1 time in total.
My words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Re: Random events? How often

Post by maciekpl »

PS. I have the 6.5.7 version.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

They occur randomly. If I could tell you how often they occur, they wouldn't be random...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Post by maciekpl »

So the "high frequency" setting has no effect, right?

I left the game running all day in the background, it reached 2023 and there was still no random effects.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

That will happen, I always play with it on high. Sometimes you get several in a short amount of time, Sometimes 1 or 2 and then sometimes it goes a long time before you get one.
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Post by maciekpl »

Ah, thanks! The actual frequency of events should probably be increased for the top frequency setting, e.g. at least once every 3 months, and the events should happen to AI as well.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I left the game running all day in the background And you checked it every month so it did not scroll off the mail ticker? Becouse even if you have pause on event for one type of random event. It wont pause for anouther type of random event.

Also while random events are random. They are not entirly random. Most of the react to what is going on in your country, and what you are doing with your country. If you just changed some settings. Or if your budget funding drops below a certain percent. If doing some research into a field increases relations. Or if you give aid trades to other countries. So if you are doing nothing in your game. It would stand to reason that yes a random event is less likily to happen.
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Post by maciekpl »

Yeah I kept checking every once in a while, it was running in a window. I did another test by loading the game as another country, declared a few wars, destroyed the economy, and there was still no events. If the very high setting results in e.g 1 event a year, the low setting would mean one event per 100 years? That can't be right.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Lower your police funding all the way down. Lower your environment funding all the way down. Max out your cultural spending. do research that has a very strong world opinion.
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Post by maciekpl »

Are you sure that player's actions have any effect on the entropy of the random events or are you speculating? What I did was to put my taxes to 0% and social spending to 100%, destroyed all production, declared war on everyone with pop > 50mill. and let the game run until I was a few trillion in debt and still nothing after a year. I think after that one event something got stuffed. Mind you I always play in multi-player mode (although as single player) and keep loading and saving as different countries to "aid" the AI, so I think most of my problems with the game are related to the insane amount of loads and saves.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

maciekpl wrote:Are you sure that player's actions have any effect on the entropy of the random events....
They do.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maciekpl
Lieutenant

Post by maciekpl »

Thanks!!
alex
Major

Post by alex »

For me they happend quite often on high. playing as Norway, i get more oil as result of "an error in some calculations" usually 1million brl.
Joubarbe
Corporal

Post by Joubarbe »

One year after I read this topic and there is no answer.
Random events : calculation errors ? That's it ? Is this the random events system ? There is nothing as a real event ; I'd like to see some events related to the population, the weather, the politics, anything that happens in life when you read a newspaper. This could be a way to give decisions to make to the player.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

You wont see anything like that. You will see just see losses and gains to most commodities or dollars. The emails tell you if its related to a certain area such as corruption, enviroment, caculation errors etc... more as a RP effect than as a game changing effect.

I wish they would add more though. A few real game changing events to throw a kink into your normal game. You know something like... California falling off into the ocean....ooops maybe I shouldnt have built all those naval fabs in California, now I have to start all over... type of thing.

Return to “Support & Issues - 2020”