More icon confusion

Get installation help, discuss issues, and submit bug reports in this section. Take a read through before posting... sometimes your problem may have already been discussed.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

myros
Lieutenant

More icon confusion

Post by myros »

Someone really needs to do some work on human friendly UI production ;)

As before I have a question on some icons that dont really make sense. This time its the unit roles icons. When you select a unit and go to the screen where you can define which type of targets a unit should engage which status means 'engage' and which 'do not engage'.

By default they are 'greyed out' which in every other game and windows aplication means 'off' or 'inactive' .. but the trend in some of 2020 greyed out means on or active, and the bright or bold icon means it's off. The mouse-over info pop-up doesnt change either way so thats no help.

Of course on other screens the opposite is true eg when you go to the defense section and go through the production screens the icons at the top (to select which general type - land, air, sea, missile) the icons turn bold when you select them and are greyed out when not selected.

Some consistentency would be nice, or clearer icon status. IMO.

Myros
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: More icon confusion

Post by mrgenie »

I'm still wondering about the icon fix for continuous production. It seems now I produce continuously always, no matter if I select or deselect the continuous button..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I tested continuous/autobuild myself, it is working. Did you grab the hotfix that's posted in the "known issues" thread?

As for the buttons, we try and use the greyed out = off, but some didn't get properly set before figuring out the tooltip and we created double negatives. We'll be working this area a bit more for consistency.

For the roles, greyed out means off, gridded means incompatible.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Yes, I use the hotfix, what's more wierd..when I don't want to continuous build, (OFF) then that setting works for ships..
Land units and Air units just keep producing..I have 5 in the queue, buttons are both grey, yet they keep producing

I'll try a reinstall of the game..who knows

Question, is it meant that the continuous build buttons effect all facilities at once?
WHen i select a aircraft production facility at paris, and want this one to build continuously, not only do all other aircraft facilities change this setting as well, but also any other production facility. Seems I can't say: aircraft production at paris continuously, but unit production or aircraft production at hamburg just do the list and that's it. no continuous there.

still having the problem that continuous is on always anyway, no matter what i select..the above described button issue is just a visible issue, since the buttons don't seem to work at all on my PC :( even after a complete reinstall
myros
Lieutenant

Post by myros »

The issue with continous production occurs when you load a save game with items already in the build que. You have to remember to uncheck the icons every time you reload.

If you forget and unselect those icons later the current build orders will still be on continous build, you will have to clear the entire que to stop this. Then start the build orders again.

M
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Awesome myros...thank you!!!!
myros
Lieutenant

Post by myros »

Balthagor wrote:
For the roles, greyed out means off, gridded means incompatible.
I tested this and it looks correct, the problem seems to be that units are set to not engage anything by default (all icons turned off). Could this possible result in problems when units auto-deploy, and end up just sitting there not firing?

In my tests I just declared war on a neighbor and all my units just sat there untill I went thru every single stack and turned on the target types, then they started engaging.

Seems to me that they should be turned on by default to avoid a lot of uneeded micromanagement.

I tried the 'set all' screen (when a specific unit isnt selected) but on that screen the unit role icons arent visible/available, that would seem to be where they are needed so I can set the default roles for all units rather than 1 stack at a time.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I just tested this myself. Launched Melting Point - Paris. A VAB was deployed, looked at it and found the expected defaults. Land/Air/Sea on by default, building off by default. When I declared war on Marseille my units started fighting...

If you've got more info, let me know, I'll keep investigating as well.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
myros
Lieutenant

Post by myros »

That's strange.

Just did like you and you're right they came out of the barracks pre-set correctly. I then reloaded my save with syria and checked and every unit is set to all off, even newly created units come out with all off. I restarted a game as syria and checked and they are set on, something in the past 3 years of gameplay of my ongoing game changed all units to off.

I'll start a new game and see if I can find anything specific to cause this or if it was just a freak random occurence :)

M
Huntarr
Warrant Officer

Post by Huntarr »

I agree with the OP about confusion of "on/off"

Grey/dark should = off
bright should = on

Return to “Support & Issues - 2020”