Cache file

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

selway11
Corporal
Human: Yes

Cache file

Post by selway11 »

First, let me say; what an awesome game!

Thing is, I was trying to create a new cache file and it all seemed to work. Renamed the "cached" file in my savegame folder and copied it to my cache folder. The problem is when I try to start the game. It doesn't start, it only creates a new cache file.

I'm completely new to this, only picked up the game last week.

I'm trying to create a new cache file from my "Campagn" folder.

I would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through this. I have read and re-read the wiki a number of times..
but it wont work.

Maybe I'm just stupid, aye? :p
Anatolian
Major

Re: Cache file

Post by Anatolian »

Okay so it should create a cache file that appears on your list of saved games.

Go to My documents > My Games > Supreme Ruler 2020 > Savegame folder. Copy the cache file. It should be something like "(cache) World 2020 - GC.sav" for example (depending on what mode you modified, for example it could be global crisis or shattered world).

Copy this file to C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Supreme Ruler 2020\CacheGC

Rename it to World 2020.SAV (or whatever the file is called. Just remove the (cached) part and the -GC part).

Now try.

If your files do not end in "GC" dont worry, it all depends on what version of the game your running.
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin
selway11
Corporal

Post by selway11 »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've done that. The problem is when I'm starting a new game with the new "cache file".. it doesn't start, it just creates a new cache in my savegame folder.
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

selway11 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've done that. The problem is when I'm starting a new game with the new "cache file".. it doesn't start, it just creates a new cache in my savegame folder.
When you say a "new game", your not loading the cache file are you?
I mean, your just starting new as usual: Campaign > select region > World 2020 > launch.
selway11
Corporal

Post by selway11 »

Starting as usual, yeah.
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

selway11 wrote:Starting as usual, yeah.
So if its re-caching it sounds like it is not detecting the cache file you are placing in the CacheGC folder.

Are you SURE your renaming it to exactly how it was AND your keeping the file extension (.sav)?
selway11
Corporal

Post by selway11 »

Yeah.

I don't really know what I'm doing though. What I'm trying to do is to edit some of the units in the game.

So, if I want to create a new cache for the global crisis campaign..

Which files should I remove and from which folder etc. ? If you have the time to explain how I would be extremely happy!
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

selway11 wrote:Yeah.

I don't really know what I'm doing though. What I'm trying to do is to edit some of the units in the game.

So, if I want to create a new cache for the global crisis campaign..

Which files should I remove and from which folder etc. ? If you have the time to explain how I would be extremely happy!
Edit the necessary files. Then delete Global Crisis.SAV from CacheGC.
Start a new Global Crisis game.
It should take ages to load....its building a new cache.
Then move the file that is built back into the CacheGC folder and rename it accordingly.

If i have read correctly your doing everything right so far.
selway11
Corporal

Post by selway11 »

yeah, done that.

Do I have to load the 'new' cache with units? I've edited the scenario file so that it didn't have to load with units.

Is that the same as starting a new game with the "start without units" box ticked? Or have I wasted a whole day by being stupid? :)
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

selway11 wrote:yeah, done that.

Do I have to load the 'new' cache with units? I've edited the scenario file so that it didn't have to load with units.
It doesn't explain why a new cache file is created every time you start a new game.
Is that the same as starting a new game with the "start without units" box ticked? Or have I wasted a whole day by being stupid? :)
Yes i believe it is the same thing. :lol:
Aawish
Warrant Officer

Post by Aawish »

I am facing similar problems.. people say cache takes 30-90mins but my recache takes a couple of mins... after following all the steps, even i managed to open the campaign from sandbox or scenario.. the map is completely blank, no money, no armies.. nothing at all..
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This means you damaged a file somehow. It went quick because it found no data. Check your files is something like Notepad and look for headers in "double quotes" that shouldn't have any. Start with your .OOF file if you changed it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”