DEFAULT.UNIT file Editor/Browser

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Re: DEFAULT.UNIT unit file Browser

Post by catatonic »

BigWolf wrote:Ok Catatonic, where would you like your temple built then? lol
Bloody nice work
Can I have the money instead?
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

Catatonic,

Can you include a method of comparing two different units? i.e. I am trying to decide whether to use Airborne Inf or Green Berets and which is better for defending and which is best for attacking.

I have done this with a spreadsheet, and have done so with a dbase but your application is far better than my noob attempts.

Again, great work...

Tony
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tonystowe wrote:Catatonic,

Can you include a method of comparing two different units? i.e. I am trying to decide whether to use Airborne Inf or Green Berets and which is better for defending and which is best for attacking.

I have done this with a spreadsheet, and have done so with a dbase but your application is far better than my noob attempts.

Again, great work...

Tony
From the "readme" file:
catatonic wrote:A "Keep Selected" button allows the user to select target unit/rows and then delete all non-selected rows. This allows "side-by-side "compairsons of units.
Otherwise, press on the column headers to sort the units by attribute.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Announcing version 1.0.0.5

New Features:

1. The Re-sizing of the Browser or Viewer will stretch the listbox or list view for a larger data display.
2. Enabled the editing of a Unit by double-clicking it in the main list view.
3. Automated the editing of Unit IDs - the next available ID is provided automatically.
4. Automated the editing of class IDs - an appropriate new Unit ID is provided automatically.
5. Implemented tool-tips for all buttons and for the more mysterious filter buttons.
6. Automatic file-saving is offered via a user-prompt when re-sorting, closing the viewer or the application.

7. "Next Unused ID" (Unit ID) now skips Unit IDs that are used for edits but are not yet saved to the DEFAULT.UNIT file.

8. The Unit field edit box now replaces the value being edited, rather than being displayed at the top of the edit list.

9. User entries are now filtered and validated when editing Units, i.e. no numbers for boolean values, no commas for numbers, etc.

10. Browser display improved for changing screen resolutions.

Edit:

[The List Viewer has the capability of allowing the user to move its display columns horizontally, in order to allow you to more easily compare unit attributes. If you intend to save your edit changes then DO NOT DO THIS. The program is WYSIWYG and if you slide the columns then they will be written into your .UNITS file in the wrong order.]

Please read the zipped Readme.txt file for details, especially the part about backing-up your .UNIT file.

Enjoy - LLAP.

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zg0ilmwjmhf
Last edited by catatonic on Dec 02 2009, edited 4 times in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

SR2020 Utility version 1.0.0.8 is now online and ready for download.

New features and fixes:

1. Fixed problem with Missile filters.
2. Improved Facilities filters.
3. Added tabbing and hotkeys.
4. Added 12 new editable Facilities fields.
5. Fixed problem with next unused unit ID selection.
6. Fixed bug with return key in edit box.
7. Added record deletion feature.
8. Added warning when UNIT file is already opened in another editor.
9. Smoothed out initial display of Viewer window.
10. Disabled main list while editing to prohibit multiple editing sessions.
11. Improved main window hot keys.
12. Added check for blank records.
13. Fixed bug where edits could not be saved if main listing was displaying "All".
14. Stopped Viewer from remaining on top, preventing access to the "Save" menu on the main window.
15. Allowed background events to proceed during long file writes.

To delete a Unit record select the record in the main list and press the "Delete" key. Once you confirm the deletion, the UNITs file will be re-written immediately. Pending edits will be saved as well.

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zg0ilmwjmhf
Last edited by catatonic on Jun 29 2010, edited 3 times in total.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

When modding a .UNIT file using this Utility program I encountered a few problems unrelated to the application itself.

1. When using the SR2020 Utility and MS-Excel at the same time, the Utility program threw an error when attempting to open the target .UNIT file. This is a file sharing problem which can be avoided by the user not attempting to open the .UNITS file with two editing applications at the same time.

The Utility program has been modified to issue a user prompt instead of throwing a rude program exception error, and this fix will be issued in due course.

2. When saving a .UNITs file with MS-Excel (and perhaps the OpenOffice spreadsheet program as well), the BG-standard DEFAULT.UNIT file will be distorted, since it contains a second .CSV data section at the end (bottom) of the file. This is the "&&RAWPROD" section, that details the supply-generating attributes of "Facilities" units that are listed in the above Units records.

If you load, edit and save the DEFAULT.UNIT file using MS-Excel then a number of bad things can happen:

1. The first section header line "&&UNITS" is written out like this:

"&&UNITS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..."

Instead of as:

"%%UNITS""

2. Blank "seperator" lines like this:

""

are written out as blank Unit record lines like this:

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''..."

3. The "&&RAWPROD" section header line will be written as:

"&&RAWPROD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..."

because MS-Excel thinks that it is a Unit record instead of a raw production record.

4. The following "&&RAWPROD" records will be written out as:

"21010,1,,,,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..."

instead of as:

"21010,1,,,,,,,,,,,0,"

For the same reason. In order to avoid these problems you should:

1. Edit your DEFAULT.UNIT file using the SR2020 Utility.

or

2. use Notepad to divide the DEFAULT.UNIT file into clear sections:

a. "&&UNITS" line followed with any commented (//) header lines that you use.
b. Unit records without blanks lines.
c. The "&&RAWPROD" line and its proceeding 46 production records.
d. Use MS-Excel to edit only section b).
e. Save section b) into .CSV format.
f. Re-combine sections a,b and c into a new .UNITS file.

Catatonic - 2012
drakuli
Corporal

Post by drakuli »

I wonder why I still get error message?

Error signature:
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : sr2020 utility.exe P2 : 1.0.0.9
P3 : 4b17284f P4 : presentationframework P5 : 3.0.0.0 P6 : 4938d608
P7 : 625a P8 : e1 P9 : system.windows.markup.xamlparse
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

drakuli wrote:I wonder why I still get error message?

Error signature:
Need more information - when does this happen? When you try to start the program, when you display a ist of uits, when you edit a unit, when you try to save your changes, what?

Catatonic - 2012
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this great util. I find it extremely usefull. :-)
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Uriens wrote:Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this great util. I find it extremely usefull. :-)
That's what I like to hear.

Catatonic - 2012
drakuli
Corporal

Post by drakuli »

The error happened whenever I tried to start the application.

FYI, I have Win XP Home SP3 and SR 2020 gold edition. And of course I got the .NET framework installed. I tried to install the application in two PCs. In both PCs I can't start the application.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

catatonic wrote:
drakuli wrote:I wonder why I still get error message?

Error signature:
Need more information - when does this happen? When you try to start the program, when you display a list of units, when you edit a unit, when you try to save your changes, what?
drakuli wrote:The error happened whenever I tried to start the application.

FYI, I have Win XP Home SP3 and SR 2020 gold edition. And of course I got the .NET framework installed. I tried to install the application in two PCs. In both PCs I can't start the application.
I am sorry that you are having problems using the Utility. Thank you for the information.

XP makes an excellent gaming platform, so I understand why you use it. XP compatability was a design goal from the start, and was one of the first issues that required troubleshooting. We do have successful XP users. Now to your problem:

I have read up on the xmlparse error that you are experiencing. It means that the program or one of its dependent modules is experiencing an error when attempting to read and parse an XML file.

I suspect that the Utility is experiencing this error when attempting to read and write to your XP system Registry, which I believe is XML-based.

This suggests to me that you do not have the necessary administrative privlidges to install or run this program. I suggest that you log onto your computer as an Administrator.

Then unload both the Utility and ".NET Framework 3.5 Client Profile", which is the compact version of the .NET Framework that this program utilizes.

Then re-install the Utility package.

Other things mentioned in the literature:

1. OS Regional settings not set to English.

2. A faulty font.

3. The recent installation of a new version of DirectX

I hope that this will prove helpful and will ultimately solve your problem.

Catatonic - 2012
drakuli
Corporal

Post by drakuli »

catatonic wrote: I am sorry that you are having problems using the Utility. Thank you for the information.

XP makes an excellent gaming platform, so I understand why you use it. XP compatability was a design goal from the start, and was one of the first issues that required troubleshooting. We do have successful XP users. Now to your problem:

I have read up on the xmlparse error that you are experiencing. It means that the program or one of its dependent modules is experiencing an error when attempting to read and parse an XML file.

I suspect that the Utility is experiencing this error when attempting to read and write to your XP system Registry, which I believe is XML-based.

This suggests to me that you do not have the necessary administrative privlidges to install or run this program. I suggest that you log onto your computer as an Administrator.

Then unload both the Utility and ".NET Framework 3.5 Client Profile", which is the compact version of the .NET Framework that this program utilizes.

2. A faulty font.

I am the admin, so I don't think it is because lack of privilege. And I don't think it is the directX problem either, the directX had been updated before the utility was installed.

My regional setting is Singapore (Singapore use English, rite?), but tonight I'll try to change it to US / UK and see if it can fix the problem.

And how can I tell that it is due to faulty font? What font that I need to install then?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

@ drakuli

out of curiosity, what version are you running of Supreme Ruler 2020 re: Impulse/GamersGate/retail boxed? I'd have to check to be sure but there may be a few registry differences between install versions.

Do you have Global Crisis?

And of course, be sure you have the latest update.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

drakuli wrote:
catatonic wrote: I am sorry that you are having problems using the Utility. Thank you for the information.

2. A faulty font.

I am the admin, so I don't think it is because lack of privilege. And I don't think it is the directX problem either, the directX had been updated before the utility was installed.

My regional setting is Singapore (Singapore use English, rite?), but tonight I'll try to change it to US / UK and see if it can fix the problem.

And how can I tell that it is due to faulty font? What font that I need to install then?
I think that you mis-understood number 3) - a few people have reported having a simular problem after they updated their DirectX with the latest version.

The font issue is a real long-shot and was probably related to the special application that they were using.

You could have gotten a bad down-load from MediaFire. You could try downloading the Utility again and trying a re-install.

Catatonic - 2012

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”