How to mod Units

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

How to mod Units

Post by Ruges »

I have created a guide for moding units on the wiki:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Ru ... ding_Units
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: How to mod Units

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Good! it's needed 8)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
sa_3_d911
Brigadier Gen.

Post by sa_3_d911 »

Ruges wrote:I have created a guide for moding units on the wiki:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Ru ... ding_Units
i would like to first say after seeing your 1.44 mod that i am very impressed & that you should put all the information you know on supremewiki so that every one could learn from you.

second i would like to ask how to add facilities i don't seem to know where is the OUTPUT column or the column that has the type of resource so could you help me
"If I weren't an Egyptian, I would have wished to be an Egyptian" Mostafa kamel

MAY THE SOULS OF THE THOUSANDS WHO GAVE UP THERE MOST PRECIOUS THING FOR US REST IN PEACE ,AMIN
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

I answered you in anouther post on how to mod in new facilities.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 48&t=15460
sa_3_d911
Brigadier Gen.

Post by sa_3_d911 »

Ruges wrote:I answered you in anouther post on how to mod in new facilities.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 48&t=15460
no there was no refrence to the number of output

i mean that if the max out for oil-gas field is 9million barrels per day where is that number found & also what is the number that indicates that the resource is petrolum
"If I weren't an Egyptian, I would have wished to be an Egyptian" Mostafa kamel

MAY THE SOULS OF THE THOUSANDS WHO GAVE UP THERE MOST PRECIOUS THING FOR US REST IN PEACE ,AMIN
coba
Warrant Officer

Post by coba »

HI,

Is there anyone downhere who can explain the definition of missile capacity (column U in default.unit) ? Taking M320 GLRS as an example (in Ruges' Loading Missles 101), the way I get it is that missile capacity represent missile size (column DD in default.unit). Then, how can the game specifiy the maximum missile volume for each unit ? Furthermore, how come missile capacity in some fighter aircraft can be as high as 18 while it seems there is no aircraft missile that has that high missile size ?

Thanks in advance
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

This is one area where I think BG messed up. They made what type of missle a unit and how many a unit can hold dependant upon a single number. Column U is this number. This number bascialy represents the largest size a missle a unit can carry. This number is then multiplied by a behind the scenes calculation (I think it is also based off unit strength too). But it gives you how many missles a unit can carry. Also the calculation is different for air, land and sea.

Column DD is a value that should only be used for missles. It says what size they are. and does nothing for launchers.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

There are two rules, one for Land and Air units and another for naval;

Land and Air
* Missile size in the data file is "per squad".
* Most squads are 18 or 24 pieces.
* The value is quantity in points a single unit can carry.
* The same missile cannot be carried across multiple units so this is also the maximum missile size for a unit.

Example: An air squadron with missile cap = 6 can carry 108 pts in such configurations as;
* 54x2pts
* 51x2pts+ 2x3pts
* 18x6pts
It cannot carry any 8 pt or larger missiles. Some aircraft type have a capacity for multiple large missiles on a single plane

Naval Units as of 5.5.21 or later
* Missile size in the data file is "per Ship".
* Ships are individual units.
* The value is quantity in points a ship can carry.
* The maximum missile size is the capacity divided by four.
** was /10 in the original release

Example: A Ship with Capacity 24 can cary 24 pts in such configurations as;
12x2pts
6x4pts
3x6pts + 3x2pts
It cannot carry any 8 pt or larger missiles.

While this system creates some oddities, it works very well to simulate that some units have expensive ammo that must be created as a separate inventory from military goods. Also, the biggest problem with the system is that the missile sizes and capacities are poorly balanced/researched. Gemini4corsair has been working very hard to improve this and update 5 already made things much better.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Really I just dont see why you guys did not do min missle size, max missle size, max missle point count. max missle count. When you guys redo the .Unit file for the next game or expansion, make sure you do it this way.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That adds a bunch more values to the system and missiles are already too hard to handle. No guarantees this will change and it's unlikely to move that way if it does.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

It would not make them that much more complicated. Mostly it would be min missle size. As that is the only real new check going on. Since max missle size is already checked, and avail missle room is also checked. As far as if the missle can load onto the unit or not.

The next part would be to have each unit have its own missle volume it can hold. instead of the value being determined by the size it can hold.

You would not have to put in max missle count. As that might be much more complicated to add in, for the very few uses it would see. And already having min missle size would take care of allot of those.
coba
Warrant Officer

Post by coba »

Hi,

Does anyone here by any chance have the latest version of the Default.uni (in xls format with header) ? I know the one posted by chris in the suprmeewiki is outdated.

Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There will be an updated one for Gold/Update 6 after update 6 comes out. Bump in a couple weeks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Just use the headers from the wiki with the .UNITs file in your game folder. that is the best your going todo right now.
coba
Warrant Officer

Post by coba »

I tried to open the .UNITs file with both excel and notepad. For some reason, some of the values were not shown which made it difficult to use the headers from the wiki.

O well, I will patiently wait for the next update especially since I just bought the gold edition last weekend. :-)

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”