World War 2 mod

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Hullu Hevonen
General

World War 2 mod

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

We are developing a ww2 mod, the problem whit making this is that the borders won't match perfectly, but you can group countries to resemble ww2, or however :roll: it will be based on WW2.

_______
here is the mod download, I will edit this page more whitin a few days, stylise and add info :-)

WW2 Beta Download
-GC version of BETA 1.2("Hotfixed")-Filefront
-Vanilla version of BETA 1.2-Filefront

-BETA 1.0(OLD)-Filefront

Vanilla=Supreme Ruler 2020
GC=Supreme Ruler 2020 Global Crisis
Appox Content
-1 campaign(1939)
-1 mesh(unused)
~170 techs
~750 units
-a bunch of bugs (a bunch of bugs to fix and other stuff we still should fix/add :D )

Current mod team
sa_3_d911 -=- Ragu -=- Hullu Hevonen

Credits
-Scenario/Map by Hullu Hevonen
-Units by Hullu Hevonen
-Techs by sa_3_d911
-Relations by sa_3_d911
-Flags by sa_3_d911 & Ragu
-Meshes by Ragu
-Help in finding/getting info:
Vuk-Wolf, Used his provided link that was of significant use as a source when making units and other helping posts/discussions.
-Thanks to all participants in all threads involving our project

did I forget any?

current Responsibilities/Tasks
Scenario/Map developing Hullu Hevonen
Units Hullu Hevonen
Techs sa_3_d911
Relations sa_3_d911
Flags sa_3_d911 & Ragu
Meshes Ragu
Last edited by Hullu Hevonen on Nov 07 2009, edited 7 times in total.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Re: World War 2 mod

Post by Darkreaper »

what do you need?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Darkreaper wrote:what do you need?
what would be great is for someone to make the ww2 (1939) political climate/relations and/or a expanded techtree which includes early thech from 1900 upwards to the current tech line. i've almost finished the map now, and after that move towards adding/expanding moreunit designs
Happy Linux user!
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I think your really underestimating how much it is going to take to make this mod. If it was as simple as throwing a few units techs, Changing a few relations and map borders. I am sure BG would have already done so as they have stated they want a WW2 scenario.

The map stuff you are doing is probly the easy part. Relations will be just a tad bit harder and bit more time consuming. Then creating a nice tech tree. This part wont be to bad But will still take many work hours. Then it comes down to the units. This part is going tobe the hard part. First off you have to gather info on every type of unit for every country, Make a list of every unit there ever was for every country. Along with a basic run down of there stats. All that before you can even begin created the units in the .Units file. Then balancing those units to work withen the game mechanics. Now that part is going to take many many man hours. What do you figure there where about 2,000 different units used during and around the WW2 erra? If you only spent 2 minutes per unit it would take atleast 100 man hours. And I am thinking that is a conservative estimate. I would not be suprized there where more like 5,000 different units. And it taking more like 5 minuts per unit, which would be 416 work hours.

Then finaly once you got that all togeather you have to edit the units already on the map, the techs each country should already have researched. And finaly playing it threw and checking balance.

However it wont really see like WW2 once you start playing it, becouse you cannot edit the triggers yet. And you will need tobe able to edit triggers, so countries join the war at the correct times. (dont want the US joining UK in 1936 now do we?)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Wow, you just described the last eight years of my life!

[deliver virtual Lasagna with Fine Wine]

in recognition for recognizing the amount of work we put it :wink:

actually you can edit the scripted events, there's just little information on it. If you reverse engineer an existing scenario like Lumberjack it should work.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

the goal is not to make 2000 ww2 units maybe 2-300 will be enough and a bunch 150+ techs so that you have something to play whith. The mod doesn't start from scratch either, the .units file is based on the ACW mod which contains many ww2 units already (last version realest contained ca 330 (?) and now ca 480 ). We ain't going to make it complete at the first version, it is meant to be flexible and able to develop and eventually reaching more or less a full version. I also realise that it will take many man hours and I have put many my selves in them.
Anyone is welcome to help if they so want to. I personally have weak skills in eg. new tech making(never made any), but instead I have experience from making scenarios and units. If I make this alone it will not be as good mod as if we are more than one, eg. I could never of made the ACW mod whit out balthagors help or atleast something I could be proud of.
Happy Linux user!
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

jeez Ruges, way to take all the fun out of it

Personally i have a lot of information ive collected on WW2 era weapons and vehicles, at least for the major factions (USSR, UK, USA, Germany). And ive been working on a tech tree starting in the end of the 19th century, that i was making for a game idea of my own. Now i dont have any experience in modding SR, but i do have a wealth of information that i can dig up and put forward which could then be translated into the specs used by the SR games.
How did you guys set up the specs for your units?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Darkreaper, what are you working on?
Happy Linux user!
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

something similar to SR but massively multiplayer setup. Time frame is different too, i was gonna start at the beginning of the 20th century and have everything progress to the present day slowly
http://ensys-games.com/viewtopic.php?t=13
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Darkreaper wrote:something similar to SR but massively multiplayer setup. Time frame is different too, i was gonna start at the beginning of the 20th century and have everything progress to the present day slowly
http://ensys-games.com/viewtopic.php?t=13
what is century of conflict? would you like to help whit this mod?
Happy Linux user!
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

thats the game im working on, its not a mod, im building it up from scratch for the most part
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

My Improvised Hitler!
Image Image
Happy Linux user!
lonewolfe
Private
Human: Yes

Post by lonewolfe »

As far as the units and tech goes, I think the old Panzer General-Allied General-Pacific General series of games has most of the stats for units. That might be a good place to start as I "think" ,not sure, they are public domain now and freely downloadable.
a12356
Lieutenant

Post by a12356 »

Try to add the landkreuzers 1000 an 1500,also change the german flag to the nazi german flag...
Also,will there be the independent state of Croatia?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

a12356 wrote:Try to add the landkreuzers 1000 an 1500,also change the german flag to the nazi german flag...
Also,will there be the independent state of Croatia?
my first version is most likely only going to contain a 1939 campaign (maybe also 1940) and then from that I will develop it further
Happy Linux user!

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”