World War 2 mod

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: World War 2 mod

Post by Balthagor »

I only know what's on the Wiki;

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Mod_Unit_3D_Meshes

my modeling knowledge is quite limited, Stephane (our graphic artist) does most of them and sends them to me. Most I'll usually do is change the base color of a texture to make a second unit of the same thing in a different class.

Plus I haven't touched the models in about a year now.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

I did read that Cris, and what threw me a curve when Makaron mentioned it takes tri's, is that on the wiki, it give count in polygons and not tri's.
Also im concerned about this..

"The mesh may not have more than 4 elements." :- from the wiki. Does that mean elements in the same respect as 3ds max? If it does, then the armour plates on the tanks need actually modeling into the mesh properly. At the moment they are seperate elements (in 3ds max world).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ragu wrote:...If it does, then the armour plates on the tanks need actually modeling into the mesh properly...
Yes, that is what it means. 4 Elements, that's it. One for the hull, one for the turret, one for "high res render features" like antennas, small lights (Which should not be considered part of the total poly count since won't be exported to the game) and one more for special cases.

FYI I don't know what quad polys are, but the engine doesn't support anything beyond the basics.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sa_3_d911
Brigadier Gen.

Post by sa_3_d911 »

Ragu wrote:
FYI I don't know what quad polys are, .
neither do i can someone tell me what that is since i am trying to learn how to create 3d meshes
"If I weren't an Egyptian, I would have wished to be an Egyptian" Mostafa kamel

MAY THE SOULS OF THE THOUSANDS WHO GAVE UP THERE MOST PRECIOUS THING FOR US REST IN PEACE ,AMIN
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

A quad mesh is polygons consisting of 4 sides. If you are using a meshsmoothing algorythm then quads are the way to go. Meshsmoothing (subdividing) takes each polygon and divides it by 4 per iteration, hence why tri's and n-gons are bad, because they leave a "remainder" in the caculation. 9 times out of 10 the 3d app makes aweful creases due to the remanider.

Game engines use triangles (tri's). Some engines autoconvert your meshes to tris on import, some dont.

Also on the mod. Mayanmar needs to be renamed to Burma.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Also the UN needs to be changed to "The Leauge Of Nations".
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Ragu wrote:Also the UN needs to be changed to "The Leauge Of Nations".
yes, can it be changed? (found it)
Status Raport: We are little behind scedule but I think we will be able to make a first release early next-next week(maybe 14/15/16.9.). I have not yet assembled the mod and cached so screens and more info hopefully tomorow :D
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Cool. My school is just ending in 14,15,16 because swine flu so i will have time :P
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Vuk-Wolf wrote:Cool. My school is just ending in 14,15,16 because swine flu so i will have time :P
LOL, school dosen't end so easily here :-)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:
Vuk-Wolf wrote:Cool. My school is just ending in 14,15,16 because swine flu so i will have time :P
LOL, school dosen't end so easily here :-)
heh its not sure here also. But theres swine flu in belgrade and that in part that i live. so there probobly will be closed. Politisians (however it spells are talking about it) But if they do close then we will have tv lessons hehe :-) but this gone to off topic :lol:
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

Ragu wrote:Can you not make unique units? Hood was a Battleship and not a Dessy/Cruiser, she had her keel laid in 1916 and was launched 22nd August 1918, and she only fought 1 battle (against the Bismark) and was sunk, killing all but 3 of her crew on the 24th May 1941.
Actually HMS Hood was a battlecruiser and didnt have the deck armour of other Battleships which ultimately led to her destruction
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

Ragu wrote:
sa_3_d911 wrote: ragu i hope you help us on this mod.we need many 3d meshes for this game for all the equipment & also a question for you did you use 3ds max program for the meshes or what???

Also i would like to ask every one for their opinion in the relations since i am doing it now
I dont mind knocking some units out. Yes I did use 3ds max. Is that a problem? I can access 3ds max or maya. I dont know anyone with C4D though.

Things I will need:

Unit List.
Make this a list divided into Countrys/Regions. This list wants the unit names as they were called by each respective county in 1930-1950. Also I need the exact model number E.G: Churchill Mk2/Churchill AVRE/Churchill Crocodile, ect, ect.
Also try and keep types seperate, like tanks as one part of the list, aircraft as the other ect, ect. Just makes things easier for me to find blueprints for said item.

E.G:

Germany
Tanks
Tiger Mk 1 (Late 1942)
Panther (Panzerkampfwagen V Panther) mid 1943

Aircraft
Junkers JU 88 (mid 1930's)
Junkers JU 87 (stuker dive bomber, 1936)

and so on.
If youre looking for blueprints, profile photos or any information on specific units i have a rather extensive of resources and books on WW2 era vehicle, aircraft etc at my disposal
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

Ragu wrote:small update. Panzer I is modeled and almost fully unwrapped. Should start making the texture for it tonight.
the Panzer 1 and 2 were only meant to be training models but were put into combat due to the lack of better models (ie the Panzer 3 and 4). the P1 and P2 were actually really poor tanks and suffered terrible losses when up against sufficient numbers of Polish Vickers 3 ton tanks. However due to the poles limited numbers of tanks, and german blitzkrieg tactics, the limitations of the P1 and P2 never amounted to much. The panzer 3 is a bit of a stopgap, where the panzer 4 is considered by many to be the best tank design of the war and by far the most reliable German tank of the war. When Germany annexed Czechoslovakia they also aquired a lot of czech tanks that they dubbed the Panzer 38t. These tanks were instrumental in the german operations of 1940 and their victory over the french who at the time had the best and heaviest tanks in the world. The P38t as well as the P4 remained in service in the german forces throughout the entire extent of the war upon coming into service, just thought you might want to consider that.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Darkreaper wrote: Actually HMS Hood was a battlecruiser and didnt have the deck armour of other Battleships which ultimately led to her destruction
Yes she was a Battlecruiser, but was known by most as a "fast battleship", due to her armourments and high speed. However her armour wasn't that far off a full Battleship.

Hms Hood:
Upper belt:- 5ins
Middle belt:- 7ins
Main belt:- 12ins

Hms Ark Royal:
Upper belt:- 6ins
Middle belt:- Not sure, seen amounts that contradict each other.
Main Belt:- 13ins
Darkreaper wrote:If youre looking for blueprints, profile photos or any information on specific units i have a rather extensive of resources and books on WW2 era vehicle, aircraft etc at my disposal
Thanks for the offer. As of now things are good for refs and such. However I may pm you at a later date if I need anything. Cheers! :-)
Darkreaper wrote:Lots of stuff regarding panzer's....
I totally agree. However Im not in charge of what models are used in this mod. Thats Hullu's call. 8)
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

um wasnt the Ark Royal an aircraft carrier? We are talking about Force H Ark Royal right?

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”