Ruges GC Mod (5.08(11-2-13))

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Hundane
General

Re: Ruges GC Mod

Post by Hundane »

Something is not right about this....

Started a new game as Argentina with my usual settings. Every region has 100% CB against me. To get it even close to normal is to put everything on very easy and no volitility.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Acualy its the way I did this mod. Its going tobe a fairly violent game. You wont see many alliances at the start of the game from the AI, it will take a few months before the AI starts getting into its lovefest mood and start forming alliances, By then it will be groups of AI that form alliances instead of the whole world in one alliance. You should really play it on defualt settings.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

You wont see many alliances at the start of the game from the AI, it will take a few months before the AI starts getting into its lovefest mood and start forming alliances,
So your intent on this was for the player to wait to be DoW'ed instead of being the agressor?

As it looks now, no matter what region you play, if you DoW another region your going to get DoW's from everyone because thier CB is so high vs the player's region that theres no reason for them not to DoW you.

Should be interesting :D

In your notes you said some techs are region specific , care to share which techs and/or regions ? or you want that as a secret for us to find out ?
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

If a country declares war on you, other countries CB is lowered against you. Also the rest of the world is going tobe very aggressive with each other, So that will increase your CB with them. Then you will be able to declare war on those countries without suffering a larger CB against your country. I think it plays nicley. Infact I am doing an AAR about it right now. I do sugest seeking out a few alliances with mutual defences at the start of the game.

As far as techs go. There are a few that are specific to certian units that not all countries have. For instance. The UAV techs. There are only around 50 countries that got these units. So they would be the only ones that would benifiet from researching those techs. Same goes for a few of the missle techs. There are 2 High alt survalance techs that only the US (and I think it was japan, Canada, and Austraila could build the units) that would benifiet from researching those techs.

Basicaly you just need to pay more attention to what you research.
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Ruges wrote:As far as techs go. There are a few that are specific to certian units that not all countries have. For instance. The UAV techs. There are only around 50 countries that got these units. So they would be the only ones that would benifiet from researching those techs. Same goes for a few of the missle techs. There are 2 High alt survalance techs that only the US (and I think it was japan, Canada, and Austraila could build the units) that would benifiet from researching those techs.

Basicaly you just need to pay more attention to what you research.
I think that's BS, and it's the exact reason I am doing a mod. If I research UAV tech there should be SOMETHING that uses it, simply because I actually did the work to figure out how to design and create UAV's, so why wouldn't my country be able to then make a working unit prototype and further develope them? It doesn't make sense. I can understand BG's point about not having the resources to make worldwide units for everything, which is why I'm making a generic mod. Unfortuantly since I'm heavily modifying the tech tree I need to know how completion bonuses are actually calculated before I can start coding the tech tree, which will then allow me to start coding the units, which then allows me to code in the OOB's, which then produces a fully usable campaign.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

I do see your point about countries being able to research a tech and then they should have a unit corolated to that tech. And evenualy maybe I will add in units for those countries. However the may BG has setup the tech tree is that some countries just are not going to follow certian tech paths. (and sure maybe a player might want to follow that path). As far as UGV's go. Here is a list of countries that I set them up with:
US, South Korea, India, Europe, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Greece , China, British, Canada, Austrilia.

Most of those countries I have listed are activly researching bots right now. And maybe I should add some of these units at a higher level to other countries. And I have always stated that if anyone feels a country is lacking a certian unit at a certain tech level to let me know and I will add them in.

Also forgot to mention in my first post. The Current tech tree goes all the way up to tech level 199 now.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

[quote]However the may BG has setup the tech tree is that some countries just are not going to follow certian tech paths. (and sure maybe a player might want to follow that path). [/quote

I could see where spies stealing a tech or two would be fairly important if only certain regions have access to certain techs. Too bad theres not a way to reverse engineer captured units/facilities or is there ?
I agree with dave, should be something to build if you do the research but getting the necessary tech to even start the research might be an interesting way to play.

@Ruges Thanks for tweaking those engineers and garrisons, The engineers are no longer the AI's unit of choice and since they stay idle (usually near a city hex) they may actually help the AI regions build facilities faster.
Lamb Chop
Lieutenant

Post by Lamb Chop »

Great work Ruges, you put BG to shame tbh with their constant complains about not having enough time etc

Have you considered doing the same Tech tree/ Unit mode for the shattered world map?
I personally prefer to play that map since it is more fun imo, but that is just me...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Lamb Chop wrote:Great work Ruges, you put BG to shame tbh with their constant complains about not having enough time etc...
How exactly did he put us to shame? Are you suggesting this majro mod was a "small task" for him? Or that we waste our time? Think carefully how you answer...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Acualy Balth has answered allot of questions that I have had in making the mod. And most of the stuff I did was just time consuming. (I easily have over 100 hours wraped up into my mod). Now if they teach me how to adjust the military AI, I might put them to shame. And I really wish they would show us how we could change the AI. Becouse the system they have obviously works good, Becouse there are plenty of examples of the AI doing correct things. So most of the stuff that would need tobe done now is mearly tweaking numbers. Then testing those changes to see if you got the correct desired effect. And the whole testing part is the slow part since it takes many hours to get a comprehensive idea of how the AI reacts to the changes you have made. So you might end up spending 5 hours making a change, then 2 or 3 days testing the AI to see if you got the desired effects.

Although I did add more techs and Units then they did with the GC exspansion. Of course many of my techs are just repeats of lesser techs, (Foriegn aid 1,2,3,4,5...), And I did not do any new skins for my units, just using copies of other units. But I am ok with that since we are able todo that stuff ourself. I would rather have them spending thier time on the stuff we cannot do.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

And to be very clear, we deeply appreciate all of the time Ruges has put into this mod and we will continue to support him as much as possible in this task.

As for modding the AI, AFAIK until it is scripted (which it isn't) there is no way for users to touch the AI.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

@Ruges
I was looking over your new techs and was wondering what your reasoning was when you put the pre regs for "Restricted Government Food Aid". I can understand having to have "Government Food Aid " as a pre req for the 1st restricted one but I dont quite understand why the others need the other non restricted as pre reqs. They almost cancel each other out.

My thoughts are that if you as a player wanted to put more restrictions on the Aid then why invest in more aid just so you can restrict it more.

Also, got a question or 3 you might be able to answer and if not maybe BG would be kind enough to answer.

Since we cant build tourism facilities, is it possible to make techs that increase the tourism % and would it have any effect on the gameplay? Does that tourism% number increase any figures like $$ or social rating or is it not used?

Same for immigration/emmigration, could techs be created to increase or decrease these numbers? to be used to simulate closed borders, increased border patrols or even a cold war era wall.

Enjoying your mod and thanks for sharing. Again :D
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

The governemnt food thing. When I first did that techline, I ment for the Restricted tech to cancel the tech of the Aid, So it would give players the ability to cancel the added costs to food from the aid. However after I had played the mod myself I too realized that the Aid preteq on the Restricted was a bit much. So I did remove the aid Prereq on the last 10 Restricted. I probly so do that to 8 or 9 more too.

Wont be able to increase tourism percent threw a tech (BG would have to add in a Tourism effect to the game) which would not be very hard for them in an update so they should do that. Also we could always mod in the ability to put in new Tourism facilities. However I have sided with BG on the fact that I am not so sure that would be the best solution.

Same thing for Immigration. BG would have to add the effect in. (and if you add this effect in BG, could you add in Manpower effect aswell, Would love to have more more techs reguarding Manpower).
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Ruges wrote:The governemnt food thing. When I first did that techline, I ment for the Restricted tech to cancel the tech of the Aid, So it would give players the ability to cancel the added costs to food from the aid. However after I had played the mod myself I too realized that the Aid preteq on the Restricted was a bit much. So I did remove the aid Prereq on the last 10 Restricted. I probly so do that to 8 or 9 more too.

Wont be able to increase tourism percent threw a tech (BG would have to add in a Tourism effect to the game) which would not be very hard for them in an update so they should do that. Also we could always mod in the ability to put in new Tourism facilities. However I have sided with BG on the fact that I am not so sure that would be the best solution.

Same thing for Immigration. BG would have to add the effect in. (and if you add this effect in BG, could you add in Manpower effect aswell, Would love to have more more techs reguarding Manpower).
What do you mean with manpower? reserves?

just cheat in that case, mass spam garrisons till ur out of reserves, then ur reserves grow like cabbage, disband the garrisons when u have enough and voila. you have reserves :D
The.Delegate
Sergeant

Post by The.Delegate »

even though i like your mod ruges, my computer is bogged down trying to calculate everything, including wars for 2/3 of the nations and its taking wayy too long even for me, and im pretty patient. no, i haven't changed any settings away from default, but im wondering if other people get this too. vanilla sr goes nice and fast for me.
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”