Selling / Buying units to other regions?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Hundane
General

Re: Selling / Buying units to other regions?

Post by Hundane »

I am still just a newb to this game but I would like to say that I am 100% in favor of being able to buy/sell/trade for units and not just the designs for that unit.

One problem seems to be the issue with "teleporting" units from around the world. The easy solution to this is to just imagine that your ministers, diplomats and generals have been working on this deal for weeks,months, years....The goods have already been delivered and are sitting in a locked warehouse waiting for you to finalize the deal. Once finalized and agreed upon, they give you the keys to the warehouse. Is it realistic? No, but then again this is just a game and if you use your imagination....well anything could be possible :lol:

Another issue seems to be the cost of such items. One idea is to come up with some formula that includes additional cost for how difficult it was to get the goods there. Have the AI check for borders with the 2 regions, if no border the cost goes up. Then check if its on the same continent or hemisphere, if not then the cost goes up again. Cost goes up if either region is it war due to the dificulty in getting those goods to the destination even though they are already there :wink: . Could add in modifiers based on Cb. The better your Cb the less your likely to pay.

No matter what system the devs come up with, someone will find an exploit. Its really up to the individual gamer whether or not he uses it. I try not to use the ability to trade for technology even though the game allows it but glad its there for those times when I want to see what it does.

A cap on the amount of units to be bought at one time could be added. No region should be able to buy any units that would give them a new technology but should still be able to buy those new types of units that might be above thier tech level as long as it required no new tech advances.

Anyways just my 2 cents worth , I hope you all come up with something soon as I cant wait to be able to use it in game.

To the Developers and all those who helped make this game. I truly enjoy the game and is money well spent for entertainment. Thanks and I salute you / salute
Kreiger815
Colonel

Post by Kreiger815 »

Hundane wrote:A cap on the amount of units to be bought at one time could be added. No region should be able to buy any units that would give them a new technology but should still be able to buy those new types of units that might be above thier tech level as long as it required no new tech advances.

Many countries also buy things more advanced then what they could produce themselves. Saudi Arabia isn't an all that advanced nation, yet they're purchasing over a hundred Eurofighter Typhoons, when Iran currently produces fighter aircraft that are equivalent to the F-5 Freedom Fighter(if you don't know the drastic difference between these, wiki links included at bottom) while being on par with the Saudis technologically. Kuwait purchases M1-A1 tanks from the United States, while the other Middle Eastern competitors use mostly outdated T-55s and T-72s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5
Matrix33
Sergeant

Post by Matrix33 »

Hi.
A new idea has came to my mind yesterday.
I propose unit trade to be resolved in following fashion:
1. One can choose among unit types available for he country one wants to trade with. After seting the price and deal the production of ordered units should start in one (or more) factories. It should be treated as normal poduction and if there would be more units produced already ones purchase should wait normal time (or one could pay additional, big money to reset production queue). After production is done one should somehow transport units onto its own territory. It should be assumed that for certain period of time both countries has limited, temporary military access agreement. The unit readiness should be very low and grow up very slowly if there would be no ther unit that type in ones military.
2. One could choose among exising units kept in reserve in trading country. Of course coutries should be more likely to sell older equipment that brand new. All experience and readiness should be reset to lowest (as for point 1) as we assume that only military equipment is bought without ones personell.
3. There should be possibility to organise tender for delivery of certain equipment. For example: Delivery if interceptor tech levelat least 02, weapon range minimum 70 km (just and example) new (or used). Some countries could respond with their offers. There should be possible that noone would be likely to trade of course. The chosen offer should slightly affect relationships in positive way, the refusal should be slightly negative. there could be simulation of negotiating table with some price nagotiations possible.
After tender is finished following actions should go according to point 1 or 2 (depends on circumstances).

Thank you for reading
BruceAlmighty
Corporal

Post by BruceAlmighty »

I really don't think this should be this big a issue. In the four pages of this topic their are atleast 3 or 4 good ideas about how to deal with this problem. If their is some other reason your not implementing this feature please let us know, i don't think the "we don't know to to implement it" arguement dosn't work.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

We never said we don't know how to implement it but all of the ideas seen here so far have some issues of their own.

I did update our document a week ago for this very issue so it is still be "actively developed". Just no completion date assigned yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Balth which route are you guys leaning towards? and what issues are you having with them? Maybe we can give some idea's on solving the issues.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'm not the one currently working this issue so I couldn't really say. If I see something worth posting/asking...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eskodas
Lieutenant

Post by Eskodas »

I havn't fully read this thread but my idea is that the unit bought, the host nation transoports(through their own means) it to the reciving nation, if it cant transport to the reciving nation to bad. Unit can be attacked intransit if host country is at war, it has 0 effiency during transit and must build up effiency once delivered. Exploits, players choice to play responsibly. Also in the future maybe a Black Market could be considered.
Australia is purchasing F-35 from US so no dont sell only obselete units.
-Dare to Know
darksibling
Sergeant

Post by darksibling »

I dunno if this could effect gameplay, but if some kind of system was put in place.

Tech Trading for units would give you a massive arsenal ... :|
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

A few points i like the idea of perhaps host nation providing transport ( perhaps air or sea or overland transport)
The other option is perhaps for the UN to offer units out of a global pool if youre stnading with them is good enough ( and subsidizes to poorer or lower tech nations)

Maybe if a unit is offered and u dont have the tech it could either be restricted, u pay a lot more and perhaps the tech isnt turned over. or any offers must be for units u have the technology for ( arms restrictions or something) all good ideas dont see anything happening soon though
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

This issue is still delivery.

Things like :

How the units get from seller to buyer,while allowing any interested third party(like a region the buyer is at war with) to block the delivery.Including by force AND diplomatic action.

How to prevent players from using the buy and sell system as a way to stage an invasion, without having to actually transport their units.

How to factor in a reasonable time passage to account for the time delivery takes.

etc....

The system has to be fairly robust... or it will look overly flawed.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

There are indeed some issues, but lets lay to rest the one about how to get units from one country to another. That horse died the day the game mystically transported its first traded resource around the globe.

Edited to add r.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Nov 12 2008, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

GIJoe597 wrote:There are indeed some issues, but lets lay to rest the one about how to get units from one county to another...
Ah, if only we could. Even among the dev team there is disagreement on what the deliver time/method should be. If we do resolve it, it won't be by unanimous vote that's for sure.

We keep drafting notes on this and other topics but nothing new to report on this issue at this time.

and BTW I assume that's country, county to county wouldn't be much trouble ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Specifically what I am referring to is using the excuse not do to it based only on how to transport units.

I am in favor of having purchased units "arrive" in a Sea Port, Airfied or Barracks 30 days after purchase. In order for that to happen, the selling country must have moved it to a Sea Port, Airfiield or Barracks. Units are not useable until they arrive in your country and then they have a normal repair period as if they were damaged to 1% health. This simulates being dissembled and packaged for transport.

Only countries currently allied with each other can buy/sell units. You receive the unit only, no ability to produce it. Any number of units can be purchased/sold. Only limiting factor is money of purchaser and amount seller has available.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

prepping allies is a good idea, i generally just boost up the fabs atm from techs.

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”