Improving diplomacy with active enemies (during war)

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

icemanistheking
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Improving diplomacy with active enemies (during war)

Post by icemanistheking »

I am playing Belarus, in year 2022 (Global Crisis), everything set to medium. I have conquered Ukraine and a good portion of Poland. Anyway, already been kicked out of the U.N., and Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, U.K., and Romania have declared war on me, with pretty much the entire world, save for Russia and China (we're all three still real good homies *sigh*), at 100% CB and likelihood of attacking at max.

I have read some advice about improving diplomacy, including making many diplomatic offers that favor the target country, and reducing my number of landfabs from 29 to 15; I have done both, but really lack the funds ($98 billion in treasury) to just endlessly throw billions and billions of dollars at 7 different countries trying to improve my standing.

Anyway, I fought off every initial wave and am only in active fighting with Romania. My question: will diplomatic offers have any effect on my standing with Romania if I'm having to fend off border incursions every five seconds? As in, can it be improved with me destroying their units?

I have considered just annexing Romania and Poland, but I would really rather chill out for a bit, as I need to build up my military a bit (a lot) before taking on the entire European continent, and I fear if I continue invading I will never get any breathing room.
icemanistheking
Lieutenant

Re: Improving diplomacy with active enemies (during war)

Post by icemanistheking »

If anybody knows, help would still be appreciated, but I think I am discontinuing that game.

I have lost count of all the regions that DOWed me, and a new region DOWs literally every 15 minutes (so almost all of Europe besides eastern allies). I guess I should have canceled peace treaty with Poland before declaring war a second time?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

One thing that will help is seting diplomacy to very easy. It acualy makes games more interesting too. At medium and hard basicaly the AI will become friendly with each other and go after the player. At very easy they only tend to go after the player once the player starts going to war with allot of countries. And even then only once you have a border with them.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I am a strong proponent of staying at war if you can. My reasoning for this is being able to keep DEFCON 1 with its increased unit build speed. The 20% build speed comes in handy when trying to build up your military.

Also as you already know there is a point where the ai just peters out. He will only attack in ones or twos after awhile. At this point you just dig in on your border with a few well placed units and arty. Use air forces to roam as required. Stay put, build military, work on infra or economy.

I would not waste money on trying to get better relations. Also, there is a point where you just cannot get any better, or I should type that Mr Latour has posted here that in order to have diplomacy work you must have at least some shaded area on your diplo bar. If there is none, then there is no hope for diplomacy.

Do not take over any other country unless you are ready for more war, as soon as one of them falls you will have a new land border and chances are hordes will flow over in the AI's initial wave.

Hang tough, work it slowly but surely. You will get much more satisfaction from the eventual triumph when you have to battle back from a bad situation.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”