why is selling tech looked down up as though a cheat?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

NukemRico
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

why is selling tech looked down up as though a cheat?

Post by NukemRico »

curious noob question here. I've seen a few posts wherein people make it sound like selling a tech to multiple nations is some sort of cheat. Just seems like good business to me. I've done it as Israel and you hardly get rich. Turning the various difficulties down to very easy seems more like a cheat, or using a mod to change parts of the game for more favorable conditions. Not at all trying to be smart here. I just honestly don't see selling techs as wrong and would invite any who do to explain.
Lost control and went off the steep learning curve.
VileThings
Warrant Officer

Re: why is selling tech looked down up as though a cheat?

Post by VileThings »

If you see nothing wrong with it then by all means, continue doing it. It's just that some of the more experienced players feel it's too easy to generate money that way, so they don't do it to keep things interesting/challenging. Maybe you have a different approach to selling your technologies or just haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but it really is quite easy ;)
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

Can't be any worse than selling stockpiled electricity that they can't use. (Which I do) :lol:
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

NukemRico wrote:curious noob question here. I've seen a few posts wherein people make it sound like selling a tech to multiple nations is some sort of cheat. Just seems like good business to me. I've done it as Israel and you hardly get rich. Turning the various difficulties down to very easy seems more like a cheat, or using a mod to change parts of the game for more favorable conditions. Not at all trying to be smart here. I just honestly don't see selling techs as wrong and would invite any who do to explain.
Its a purely personel thing, some players just really don't like how easy it is, but they avoid it so no troubles! Its just down to if you have anything against it!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Apophis
Sergeant

Post by Apophis »

I cant see it as cheat. You dont make any good money of it anyway. Even the nations that have really good diplomacy with me only wants to pay at most half of what it is really worth. And they have the economy to pay alot for the techs
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

It is not a cheat, it is simply a tool, just as Difficulty Level and such are, that one can use to modify how you play your game. This is a video game that we all (hopefully) paid for and we should all play it anyway we see fit to derive entertainment.

Trading/selling techs is the easiest way to make money in the game, there are ways to make it very profitable. Consider the following:

- You purchase 1 tech for 300 million. You can now sell that tech to 1, 20 or 100 other countries. Even if you only get 50 mill for it, what is 50 mill x 100?

Here is another very easy way to make money as a small country;

- Test this, next time you start a game as a small country and need to make money, sell water to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, etc. (Middle East/Desert). I have funded the first few years of gameplay with small nations doing things like this. Does not have to be a large quantity, sell them 2000 xm3 for example. Just enough to make you some money on an unused resource.

Keep doing this every day or once a week and eventually your relations will be "full bar green". At this point they will pay you as much as 3 or more times what the item(s) is/are worth.

These are just two examples, to illustrate the point, you can substitute practically anything for water or tech. It simply depends on how much you are willing to micromanage your game. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”