Civilian massacre?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

red_romanov
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Civilian massacre?

Post by red_romanov »

I'm a new member but been playing SR2020 for a year. My usual strategy is tech rush and mass bombing from multi-role fighters.

My first question here is about using artillery on towns and cities, since I see countries pounded millions of people with it (that's even more than a nuke could do) and some non-renewable buildings, or even a whole town pulverized. Isn't there any disapproval for that kind of collateral damage? In the realism at this age, only a thousand people killed is a big controversy (not to mention international laws and red Casus Belli). I guess if I try destroying half of major towns in China in the game, no one would give any attention.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Civilian massacre?

Post by GIJoe597 »

The answer to your question is, no.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Its stuff like this where SR fails to mimic the real world. The whole military system plays like a game instead of a simulator. Your absolutly right in the world would throw a fit at the amount of civilian causualites. However to what extent? If 75 percent of the worlds governments where at war (IE WW3) the whole of society will have broken down so far with autrocities being commited on so many fronts, Civilian losses would be a mear foot note on the news tickers, if they could even be calcualted at all.

However I would love for stuff like this to have a greater impact on the game. However if this was made the case I also believe that populations would need to evacuate populations centers where apropriate. What percentage of civilians left Bagdad before war entered the city? Also what about figures from european cities during WW2?

But this is also just a small part of the game issues reguarding combat. In the real world it is no longer about sending your military units to the frontline pushing it back of all resistance as you press forward like the game would have you think. Iraq would be a good example of this. How quickly was its military defeated? yet the acual war continued on.
red_romanov
Sergeant

Post by red_romanov »

Agreed. And I think the devs are not ready to add any new feature into the game since they have many issues already. This one should be concerned though. And no matter how many countries are at war, this is already the age of information, not WWII era. Everyone on earth have ability to know what is happening, even the exact number of casualties daily. What will they think if a bunch of artillery killed millions of civilians try to hunt down around 40 men worth of enemy unit, without sending any real force to capture it. Should anyone hate the country and influence their government to DOW against it? At least some common sense should be able to judge this.

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”