How to create CB against Egypt?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

i8pikachu
Sergeant
Human: Yes

How to create CB against Egypt?

Post by i8pikachu »

I have tons of troops ready to invade Egypt on the border of Israel (I'm playing as Italy), I have alliances with many different countries, but Egypt seems to not be disturbed by anything. Our relationship stands at 30% CB on each other.

My military is on war footing and I don't know if I can afford waiting for Egypt to get mad.

I need to attack them without making the rest of the world mad at me.

Any advice?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: How to create CB against Egypt?

Post by Ruges »

You cannot create CB against egypt. You can only create CB against yourself. And the same for AI egypt, they cannot create CB against you, they can only create CB against themself.
i8pikachu
Sergeant

Post by i8pikachu »

Thanks. So when I declare war on them, I should expect countries to be furious at me?

I guess I can just save a game and give it a try.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Yes declaring war on them creates CB against yourself with other countries. Basicaly you would be declaring war on them without provocation.
i8pikachu
Sergeant

Post by i8pikachu »

Are there tricks to get them to be more provocative? They have my Suez Canal on their land.
VileThings
Warrant Officer

Post by VileThings »

i8pikachu wrote:Are there tricks to get them to be more provocative? They have my Suez Canal on their land.
30% Casus Belli against a country is not too bad, really. Your UN approval, subsidy and treaty integrity may go down, but if you've behaved yourself so far you will be able to take the hit and those values regenerate themselves over time. Just remember to ally yourself with anyone you want to be allied with before you start going to war with other countries you don't have 100% CB with.

If you are hellbent on getting them to attack you, a few good ways to do this:

- get all your troops in reserve (they won't attack if they know they'll lose, unless they are really, really mad at you)
- make their enemies your allies
- participate in wars against their allies
- have the enemy catch your spies (works especially well at sea ports, because naval vessel have a high spotting value)

None of these things will guarantee a DOW on their part, though, just increase the likelihood. Plus you are likely to p*ss of other countries this way.
Last edited by VileThings on Jul 24 2011, edited 1 time in total.
i8pikachu
Sergeant

Post by i8pikachu »

Great advice.

I've been giving this some thought. I haven't touched the game while I've been deciding what to do.

My funds are quickly depleting so I have to get this over with.

I'm expecting the entire world to fall apart when I declare war, which is what the AI seems to be waiting for.

Learning all the pieces, naval, air, and land movement is all very complex.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

You can also kill off their troops under the right circumstances,and even damage their cities.

To kill their troops,you need to find their troops located in a hex in which you cant see them at the time of the attack, and can attack the hex.You can for instance attack the cities of another region with missiles and or art,without getting auto-dowed.Just watch their relations reactions very closely.Its easy to do this one time to many, and have your third party victim dow you.

And of course if your at war with the region,and egyption troops you cant see are located in the hex your attacking with AoE attacks.

Ive played with this and if your diplo is high enough,you can even go as far as to destroy one of more of their cities without them dowing you.But thats an extreme case,and in most a couple of attacks will get you into trouble.

So again,if the circumstances are just right, and the troops are in a third parties region,you can aggravate both regions.

-----

Also,if your at war with another region,and its troops are in egypt,you can attack them and hurt egypt by "splash" damage.The best way is to attack an enemy unit moving toward an egyptian city with missiles that do aoe damage.The trick is to time it so the missiles hit their target after its entered the city.

This means you fire the missiles while the target is outside of the city but moving toward it.Again,with the goal of having the missiles reach their target at the right instant.
-----

Both of these rely on very specific circumstances and or timing.

In both cases you get some if not most of the responsibility for any resulting dow.Its not a free ride.It does seem to be less than if you just dowed them with a low belli though in many cases.

And you can of course reverse this, so its your units or your cities taking damage and giving you the chance to dow them.
Heres an example of using the unit situation in reverse.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/ ... ts4JPG.jpg

At this point,im not at war with mexico,but i am allied with the US who is at war with mexico,and ive moved a hard to see unit of mine into a hex i know that mexico is attacking with artillery.As a result, they fail to see my unit, and it takes damage from mexico's attack on the US hex,and i get a dow option against mexico.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
i8pikachu
Sergeant

Post by i8pikachu »

I finally declared war on Egypt as Italy. I needed to at least see how this works.

I really haven't figured out how to use all the pieces yet. I've got ships sitting in the water with nothing to do off the coast of Egypt.

I found 40 of my tanks sitting in Greece because they couldn't load onto a ship in Italy and when the ship left, it tried to follow it and ended up on a peninsula in Greece.

I'm in the middle of the war and sort of winning, but I have no more supply trucks and it seems like my entire military production in Italy has come to a halt.

Therefore, much of what's happening in Egypt is just waiting for my military back home to catch up so I can resupply my deployed army, navy and air force.

Is this a common problem?

Is there a way to speed-up production?

Surprisingly many countries helped to finance the war with gifts. I guess I have my settings on easy, but it's very realistic.

I have no more missiles and no more supply trucks yet I have plenty of artillery and tanks in Egypt. What's your advice?
VileThings
Warrant Officer

Post by VileThings »

Artillery will damage buildings and kill civilians pretty quickly so unless you don't care you should limit its use to a defensive manner (a stack of Artillery will reduce the population of a city from several millions to hundreds of thousands in no time).

Tanks will only get you so far. They are well suited for combat on open ground, but when it comes to capturing cities and facilities, infantry is the weapon of choice. Tanks generally lack high close-combat values (both in attack and defense), which are important for urban fighting, while infantry units excel at this.

I'd say your best bet right now is to consolidate your positions and wait for your reinforcements, then continue your push. Supply is always a problem when attacking, especially in large countries with few cities in between. Supply trucks are not the only way to supply your forces however, transport aircraft have the same function. Just send them to where your troops need resupply and they will circle the area, providings supplies to any units below them, until their cargo runs out. Just watch out for enemy AA.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

If you have any leg infantry, (special forces, etc.) that are Para-droppable, I suggest using them to capture airbases/barracks. If I were going to invade Egypt, from Italy, the first thing I would do is capture Marsa Matruh, (MM).

1. Gain Local Air/Naval Superiority, with a combination of Air and Naval assets.

2. Amphibious landings 4 hexes NW of MM, timed to;

3. Coincide with a Para drop directly on MM.

You have everything you need to press the issue further into Egypt.

a. Airfield - repair air assets, bonus: generates land supply

b. Port - repair sea assets/debarkation for follow on forces, bonus: generates ocean supply

c. Barracks - repair land assets.

One you have a solid hold, there are so many advantages. Here are a few:

- The area surrounding is in less than spectacular supply, responding Egyptian units will be easy to pick off as they arrive from the east.

- IF Egypt is at war with Libya, you are in position to capture all the border area and prevent Libya from acquiring Egyptian land when it capitulates.

- As there are no other Egyptian ports between Libya and Al Iskandariyah (Alexandria), you have a large area of coast line, approx. 550 miles to work with and a seaport, (MM), to supply that area.

I would create a protected sea corridor from Taranto directly to MM to ship in follow-on forces and expand the ZOC. Once adequate forces were in place you can then pick and choose your next target. My first choice would not necessarily be Alexandria; rather I might be inclined to head south to cut off Egypt from any African land borders.

Again, it’s a wide open game, by and large it is up to each individual to gather opinions and then execute what they feel best suits their play style.

Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

tkobo wrote:You can also kill off their troops under the right circumstances,and even damage their cities.

To kill their troops,you need to find their troops located in a hex in which you cant see them at the time of the attack, and can attack the hex.You can for instance attack the cities of another region with missiles and or art,without getting auto-dowed.Just watch their relations reactions very closely.Its easy to do this one time to many, and have your third party victim dow you.

And of course if your at war with the region,and egyption troops you cant see are located in the hex your attacking with AoE attacks.

Ive played with this and if your diplo is high enough,you can even go as far as to destroy one of more of their cities without them dowing you.But thats an extreme case,and in most a couple of attacks will get you into trouble.

So again,if the circumstances are just right, and the troops are in a third parties region,you can aggravate both regions.

-----

Also,if your at war with another region,and its troops are in egypt,you can attack them and hurt egypt by "splash" damage.The best way is to attack an enemy unit moving toward an egyptian city with missiles that do aoe damage.The trick is to time it so the missiles hit their target after its entered the city.

This means you fire the missiles while the target is outside of the city but moving toward it.Again,with the goal of having the missiles reach their target at the right instant.
-----

Both of these rely on very specific circumstances and or timing.

In both cases you get some if not most of the responsibility for any resulting dow.Its not a free ride.It does seem to be less than if you just dowed them with a low belli though in many cases.

And you can of course reverse this, so its your units or your cities taking damage and giving you the chance to dow them.
Heres an example of using the unit situation in reverse.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/ ... ts4JPG.jpg

At this point,im not at war with mexico,but i am allied with the US who is at war with mexico,and ive moved a hard to see unit of mine into a hex i know that mexico is attacking with artillery.As a result, they fail to see my unit, and it takes damage from mexico's attack on the US hex,and i get a dow option against mexico.
Gonna have to try this :D
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Quoting myself here in a thread in the diplo section to see if I can get a response.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 43&t=20300
Anthropoid wrote:One thing I find slightly deficient in the game is a couple diplomacy functions along the lines of:

1. Criticize or accuse a target country in the UN of international crimes.

2. Develop conspiracy about international crimes (here I'm thinking of the Weapons of Mass Destruction theme that the U.S. 'used' to get into war in Iraq).

Is there someplace where the underlying maths behind the Cassus belli scores is explained?

I've been trying to get my cassus belli up against Libya so that I can attack them without too much of a UN/international approval hit. So I've got all my spies in there performing sabotage, and I periodically demand some outrageous diplomatic deal like: give me all your money, and a free transit treaty for nothing in return. Cassus belli on both sides has been at about 30% for like 6+ months of this effort.

I like that the game doesn't just allow you to go to war wantonly without repurcussions. But it does seem lacking that there are not more ways to 'ruin' relations with other countries.

Appreciate if anyone can link to some pages that go into great detail on this stuff.

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”