Is there a diplomatic way to acquire territory?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

exit
Corporal
Human: Yes

Is there a diplomatic way to acquire territory?

Post by exit »

Is there any way to acquire other nations territory without war? The only thing close I've found so far is the unification vote which doesn't seem to be what im looking for at all.
I want to be able to conquer the world thru diplomacy, building good relations and make them wanna be a part of my nation basicly because they love me so much.

This game seem to realy have potential, but do I have to look for another game?

Post Scriptum. I see myself as a fairly intelligent guy but this game lacks A LOT when it comes to user friendlyness and there are 2 main reasons for this the way I see it. First, the documentation is basicly non-existant. The manual, which is the first place you go looking for help when you dont understand something, is terrible. In some areas you wont get more info then from what you can see on your screen! The second reason is that there are not much coverage in forums, home pages etc. Googling for answers about the game is more often then not a waste of time, sure there is bits and pieces of info here and at the wiki etc but not much. Building an advanced game like this requires info! Imagine trying to run a nuclear power plant with a manual that just tells ju what you already see and no other source of info. Very frustrating.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Is there a diplomatic way to acquire territory?

Post by Balthagor »

No, that is not a aspect modeled in the game. This has been discussed before in other threads, you may wish to find those discussions.

The manual has been a point of contention discussed many times. IMO the lead time is too long on printed manuals to make them effective especially with the volume of content added post release. Our studio has not indicated what we will do for documentation on future titles. There is an up to date PDF included with the game updates, be sure you have the latest version of the game (Ver 5.6.2 for the core game, version 6.6.2 or 6.7.63 for the Expansion pack/Gold edition).

The main sources of information for the game are this forum and the SupremeWiki. Both are searchable and contain massive amounts of data.

Welcome to the forums.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
exit
Corporal

Post by exit »

Balthagor wrote:No, that is not a aspect modeled in the game. This has been discussed before in other threads, you may wish to find those discussions.

The manual has been a point of contention discussed many times. IMO the lead time is too long on printed manuals to make them effective especially with the volume of content added post release. Our studio has not indicated what we will do for documentation on future titles. There is an up to date PDF included with the game updates, be sure you have the latest version of the game (Ver 5.6.2 for the core game, version 6.6.2 or 6.7.63 for the Expansion pack/Gold edition).

The main sources of information for the game are this forum and the SupremeWiki. Both are searchable and contain massive amounts of data.

Welcome to the forums.
Yes, I do wish to find those discussions. I'll try to search them, or if you could link the most usefull once for me please?

Well, I don't even own a printed manual since I play the game for free (yes, I'm talking about filesharing). Why wouldn't I when games come like this? Unfinished and with more hype then game. Not to mention how EA wanted almost 50$ for C&C4, a game they totaly ruined! Some games are even full of ads, why would I buy ads? Only game I concider buying atm is Company of Heroes, because it is very well made, worth puting money on and I wish to support them. Basicly thats my choise and I find it moraly very acceptable only to support the best games when the market looks like it does. Buying without knowing what you get is just stupid imo.

Anyway, the PDF-manual shuld contain more deep info on how the game works. That's what a manual do, tell you how to play the game. Otherwise its a great game, and I realy appriciate the effort devs has put into advanced military, national and economical details. And thanks for the fast answers :)
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

exit wrote: Well, I don't even own a printed manual since I play the game for free (yes, I'm talking about filesharing). Why wouldn't I when games come like this? Unfinished and with more hype then game. Not to mention how EA wanted almost 50$ for C&C4, a game they totaly ruined! Some games are even full of ads, why would I buy ads? Only game I concider buying atm is Company of Heroes, because it is very well made, worth puting money on and I wish to support them. Basicly thats my choise and I find it moraly very acceptable only to support the best games when the market looks like it does. Buying without knowing what you get is just stupid imo.
None of that applies to Supreme Ruler. Considering how well supported this game is it is well worth every penny. Personally I have bought several copies to support the development of further titles. You can justify your actions as much as you want however you are still breaking the law when you pirate a game.
exit
Corporal

Post by exit »

Eldin wrote:
exit wrote: Well, I don't even own a printed manual since I play the game for free (yes, I'm talking about filesharing). Why wouldn't I when games come like this? Unfinished and with more hype then game. Not to mention how EA wanted almost 50$ for C&C4, a game they totaly ruined! Some games are even full of ads, why would I buy ads? Only game I concider buying atm is Company of Heroes, because it is very well made, worth puting money on and I wish to support them. Basicly thats my choise and I find it moraly very acceptable only to support the best games when the market looks like it does. Buying without knowing what you get is just stupid imo.
None of that applies to Supreme Ruler. Considering how well supported this game is it is well worth every penny. Personally I have bought several copies to support the development of further titles. You can justify your actions as much as you want however you are still breaking the law when you pirate a game.
If I find myself playing it a lot, it is very possible that I buy a licens. It is after all a game where devs listen to the players and it is rather well-made.
The law in countries around the world forbids homosexuals to marry and adopt, in sweden they prevent "whistleblowers" if your grandpa gets ill-treated in a private company because its conciderd harmfull to the corporations, in france they forbid muslim women to wear religous clothing. The law isn't always right.

There is a saying, "to the righteous/just no law apply" which is very true.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

exit wrote: If I find myself playing it a lot, it is very possible that I buy a licens. It is after all a game where devs listen to the players and it is rather well-made.
The law in countries around the world forbids homosexuals to marry and adopt, in sweden they prevent "whistleblowers" if your grandpa gets ill-treated in a private company because its conciderd harmfull to the corporations, in france they forbid muslim women to wear religous clothing. The law isn't always right.

All very true. However stealing digital copies of video games does not fit well in with your examples. Piracy is never justified.
exit
Corporal

Post by exit »

Eldin wrote:
exit wrote: If I find myself playing it a lot, it is very possible that I buy a licens. It is after all a game where devs listen to the players and it is rather well-made.

All very true. However stealing digital copies of video games does not fit well in with your examples. Piracy is never justified.
A theft is illigal because you deprive someone of their possessions. Futhermore, legaly fileshareing is considered a copyright violation, not a theft.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

exit wrote: A theft is illigal because you deprive someone of their possessions. Futhermore, legaly fileshareing is considered a copyright violation, not a theft.
You deprive Battlegoat studios of their income.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

some previous discussion on changing borders;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... land+trade

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... annexation

[Edit: and if you'd like to know our stance on copyright, check out the "other things battlegoat is doing" thread in the off topic section. It's a good read.]
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

A theft is illigal because you deprive someone of their possessions.
I would like to be your boss and fileshare your paycheck for month. Whats the big deal ? It wasnt your to begin with was it ?

Oh you earned it through working ? Well so did BG. They did the work.

You can call it filesharing if you want to, its still stealing. Good way to lose a hand in some countries.
exit
Corporal

Post by exit »

Eldin wrote:
exit wrote: A theft is illigal because you deprive someone of their possessions. Futhermore, legaly fileshareing is considered a copyright violation, not a theft.
You deprive Battlegoat studios of their income.
You don't "own" an income. It is earnt. And don't make me start going on about what we consumers are deprived of by greedy corporations in the game design market (none specific).
Balthagor wrote:some previous discussion on changing borders;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... land+trade

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... annexation

[Edit: and if you'd like to know our stance on copyright, check out the "other things battlegoat is doing" thread in the off topic section. It's a good read.]
Thank you for the links, I will be checking them and the stance on copyright out. :)

EDIT:
Hundane wrote:
A theft is illigal because you deprive someone of their possessions.
I would like to be your boss and fileshare your paycheck for month. Whats the big deal ? It wasnt your to begin with was it ?

Oh you earned it through working ? Well so did BG. They did the work.

You can call it filesharing if you want to, its still stealing. Good way to lose a hand in some countries.
The problem is that the market doesn't work that way. Idealy you creat a game and if it's good people will buy it and if it's not ppl don't. But the reality is that big market campains boosts sales of poor work, consumers have to buy "the pig in the sack" as norwigans say meaning you don't know what you get untill you open it up. Can be a great game or just another lousy one where more money is spent on ads and marketing then on acualy finish it.
I'm not saying BG is bad seed (talking about torrents lol), but what do I know until I've tried? I'm sure they are awsome but consumers have to get the power over the market back from the producers.
Last edited by exit on Jul 29 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

exit wrote: You don't "own" an income. It is earnt. And don't make me start going on about what we consumers are deprived of by greedy corporations in the game design market (none specific).
I do not follow your logic. I do own the money that is my income. I am sorry for you if you don't, however that does not make it OK for you to deprive somebody else of theirs.
exit
Corporal

Post by exit »

Eldin wrote:
exit wrote: You don't "own" an income. It is earnt. And don't make me start going on about what we consumers are deprived of by greedy corporations in the game design market (none specific).
I do not follow your logic. I do own the money that is my income. I am sorry for you if you don't, however that does not make it OK for you to deprive somebody else of theirs.
My logic is that you have to acualy earn it. If corps behave like they do with trying to politicly reduce freedom, increase survailence/build 1984-society and prevent the spread of culture (mostly movies, books, music but also software), produce poor quality products because people buy it anyway due to heavy marketing, and so on, and so on, then they are behaving badly and doesnt deserve being payed for their ill-work. A good company that doesn't behave this way shuld ofcourse get payed for the nice work their games are, and I'm not the least hesitant to buy them.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

exit wrote: My logic is that you have to acualy earn it. If corps behave like they do with trying to politicly reduce freedom, increase survailence/build 1984-society and prevent the spread of culture (mostly movies, books, music but also software), produce poor quality products because people buy it anyway due to heavy marketing, and so on, and so on, then they are behaving badly and doesnt deserve being payed for their ill-work. A good company that doesn't behave this way shuld ofcourse get payed for the nice work their games are, and I'm not the least hesitant to buy them.
Battlegoat does earn their income. Every company does no matter how shady you judge their actions to be. If I thought that the car industry made crappy cars but still managed to sell them it would not give me the right to go to one of their factories and steal a car. No one is forcing you to play computer games. It is not a human right to obtain software illegally no matter your justification.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If you guys are going to keep talking copyright, please go to off topic and add to the existing discussion;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... =8&t=16867
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”