Making Peace Problem

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Hundane
General

Re: Making Peace Problem

Post by Hundane »

You threw out the peasants to the dragon slaughter. :wink:
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

I agree with Snowpig that the AI in general should be more interested in self preservation. Ideally the AI should be aware of when it is losing a war and try to make peace with its enemies.
Snowpig
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by Snowpig »

especially, when the enemy is completely outnumbering them like more than 10:1 and is techologically superior. Atm i can send my infantry units to intercept enemy tanks in open terrain, because of their hard attack going in the 60s and higher.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I dont have a problem with getting the AI to surrender and it usually doesnt cost all that much, a few hundred million or so, unless its I thats been the aggressor and most of the world hates me then it takes alot of time for the world relations to improve to get them to accept peace.

The key to getting the peace deals is having good relations with other regions. If the world hates you, your not going to get peace no matter how Technologically advanced or how many units you have.

I also agree the AI should be interested in self preservation. I also think that some regions would fight to the death rather than live under anothers rule. The game doesnt model puppet type governments or any internal fighting in occupied lands once peace is achieved, so letting them fight to the death is probally the best way.

What did the Aztecs do, after they suffered one devastating defeat after another to a techonologicaly and military superior enemy like Spain in that time?
They surrendered.
suicide bombers usually dont run countries. Again you are throwing stuff together, which does not belong together.

I
give you a better example: What did the Aztecs do, after they suffered one devastating defeat after another to a techonologicaly and military superior enemy like Spain in that time?
They surrendered.
What did the US do in Vietnam ? What did Russia do in Afghanistan ? Both superpowers of the day left with their tails tucked between their legs. We are in an age where winning all the battles doesnt mean you will the war.
Snowpig
Lieutenant

Post by Snowpig »

Hundane wrote:
What did the US do in Vietnam ? What did Russia do in Afghanistan ? Both superpowers of the day left with their tails tucked between their legs. We are in an age where winning all the battles doesnt mean you will the war.
the US bent to their public support, the russian left afghanistan, because the CIA was supplying the mujahedin with enough weapons and money to stall everything and the US dont do better atm, because again there is some guy in the background, who gives the taliban money, weapons and sends in new recruits. All this stuff is not modeled in the game, thats why the reaction of the AI-goverments looks very stupid and spoils the whole fun (at least for me).

without the foreign support, the vietcong, the mujahedin or even the taliban wouldnt last a quarter of the time they did against the oposition they had/have.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

All this stuff is not modeled
Sure it is, the AI regions sell other units to other AI regions. The AI buys and sells on the world market as well as other trade deals such as money, petro etc...If they are still sending tanks against ya, they recruiting peeps and getting units somehow. The recruits might be posing as immigrants. :D
Snowpig
Lieutenant

Post by Snowpig »

thats the point. all those enemies are virtually bankrupt and dont send any units. I have a border to iran which goes from the heart of kurdistan down to Kish, which is the last (ex)iranian oil rig before the strait of Hormuz. For this border i have 2 infantry units on guard and there is literally nothing happing there.
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

The peasant story is the most annoying thing about the AI atm personally

Personally, I feel the AI needs to help their allies out militarily a lot more if they can
For example, Russia tends to run through Europe easily, as Russia vs. Each Country is easy for them
HOWEVER, what should happen is, as soon as Russia DOW on, for example, Poland, all countries who are allies with Poland and are able to put a force in polish soil via land treaties (eg. Germany), should then look too assist Poland with with their own units
Even if it's giving them units to boost their forces
I usually just build hundreds of units and give them too my allies who are against a superior enemy, this tactic allowed for Germany to have survived and claim half of the annexed Poland for themselves
Of course the pressure is off them now, since Russia has decided to take on my Asian Land Forces after I created a border with while taking a Sunday afternoon stroll through China
Which was stupidly silly of them since I'm now cutting through them like a hot knife through butter (The numbers of their air units are the only threat they have since they use foxbats which my AA can only scratch)

The AI does not represent a challenge, each nation is simply a road bump on the players road to glory
Yet I always play on very hard, and the only real challenge I have is balancing my economy and logistics of supplies and cross ocean movements

Re: AI attack, they leave FAR too many units in active defence
At the very least reserve them until enemy is within striking distance, that way money is saved
Also, don't send units 1 by 1 to the front line, create a rally point, meet up so there is at least one stack of 7, then go ahead, they'll have alot more success
And as for the attack vectors... well, the AI has always been it's own enemy when going ahead of supplies or getting it's units trapped by ignoring that big city and going around it

I get the AI will probably never be as strong as a human, but some of the AI logic needs to have more... logic and common sense too it

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”