When does the AI gives up?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Galindo
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

When does the AI gives up?

Post by Galindo »

Well with the experience I have on the game I've realized that the AI acepts a peace treaty quite often, for exemple if they atack you, usualy you can offer a peace treaty at the exact time you receive the warning and they'll acept a truce it doesn't make much sense but it's not an issue. But what when you are the agressor? Well that's a whole other story and I also understand since players could easily abuse and take a few hexes and ask for peace but here is what is happening with me. I'm playing with Argentina (World 2020) and after beating Brazil a few times(Argentina would never beat Brazil IRL =D) I decided that as a good Argentinian I would make a fuss with the Brits and atack the falklands please note that the CB in 2020 is 8%(so much for an impartial game huh? ;)) and after taking the Islands and taking down their reinforcements I realized they wouldn't simple give up so I took the battle to them... 4 years have passed they have no sea units at the sea no air units deployed no more land besides Great Britain I took even those Island close to Britain and all their overseas lands and destroyed almost all their military and industrial complex and nothing...zero they do not give up not even for a Zillion dolars, as a last resort I started bombarding their cities but after 3 milion deaths they still don't accept the defeat. Do I have to take them out completely? 'Cause that would be hard since they have like 5 Challengers III for each hex in Britain plus garrisons...
"Ordem e Progresso"
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: When does the AI gives up?

Post by tkobo »

If you want them to surrender,your gonna have to :
*capture cities til they fold- can require taking every single one
*destroy ALL their military units
*cause constant overwhelming damage and loss to their military for a sustained period of time-this lowers their mar and keeps it from regenerating.Once its in the single digits they can fold-Like cities though, you often have to go all the way, pushing their dar down to 0%
*etc....
Last edited by tkobo on May 04 2010, edited 1 time in total.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

In my experience, if the AI berserks me and I suddenly find myself at war with everyone and their grandmas, some nations and usually the first ones to DOW raise the diplomatic relations just enough to make a peace offer go from red to yellow and thus doable. I think this might be related to the diplomatic difficulty in the games settings however.
Octavious226
Warrant Officer

Post by Octavious226 »

ive attacked israel and they r so easy to conquer i took there land because they had some good places for new resources that i could use :DDD i can thank an ally too but that ally wasnt much help they just stood there attacking them on there land and i was trying to move forward into there land all u gotta do is destroy their capital :D
Sometimes I'm real cool, but sometimes I could be a real *******. I think everyone is like that.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

When does the AI give up? BG has stated that they are not going to release the exact formula. However they have said there is a bit of randomness to it. How fast they have lost units/cities, relations, Mar, DAR, and how many units/cities they have left affect it.
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

I actually sometimes prefer it when they hold out, because when I get a quick surrender it means all their territory is out of supply, and if I have to hit their neighbor because I'm at war with both, then I run into serious issues because suddenly I have a new border with a hostile force with garrisons that have zero morale or simply aren't there (if I play with units disappear on conquer).
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Dark_Ruler
Corporal

Post by Dark_Ruler »

Basically what tkobo said. It depends on the perimeters you set in the beginning of the game. Default victory setting is "complete" meaning you must capture all cities until the AI folds and is taken out. If you just want to make it where you just have to capture their capital and hold it for a full game day then set the victory condition to Capital, but capitals can no longer be moved once the game starts if this is set.

Also I've noticed that if "you" declare war on another AI country it will never make peace with you. Not in a million years or trillions in cash, resources, etc. So not only will your world rating with the UN go down the toilet, but so will your hopes for peace with the county you DW on. Now as someone already mentioned, unless the AI country's CB with you is 100% they will always make peace with you if they DW on you, it might take a small amount of money or resources, or they might accept nothing in return; but generally they will accept peace most of the time. I refer to these as "white peace's" especially if the region doesn't have a direct border with yours.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

actually you can get them to accept a peace treaty,how much work depends on the status of their bars.

Theres a nifty little trick,thats hard to use but works great,for getting your allies to dow on an enemy region.Pretty much each time the enemy dows you, the chances of your allies going after it increase,so what you do is get into a war with an enemy but do so in a way that keeps some color in their diplo bar, then get peace,but keep relations low,so they dow soon after.then get peace again,but keep relations low so they dow soon after,and just keep repeating.

Part of the trick is the bars extend past whats shown in effect.so if you spend years building relations with a target region, you can then dow them, and they will still have color in their bar.This allows you to seek peace right after you dow them, and outs them in a position where they can dow you soon afterwards.
heres an example.

I had about 2% belli on them when i dowed them, yet look at their diplo towards me.I can work this a few times dowing them then getting peace,and slowly turn my allies against them.While increasing the chance they will dow me.

It works best when you get them into dowing you,which doesnt take long and is the surest way to get your allies to go after them.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”