What up with ILLINOIS?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

FreedomForFlorida09
Private
Human: Yes

What up with ILLINOIS?

Post by FreedomForFlorida09 »

Question:
Why on SHATTERED WORLD,all ILLINOIS does is ask for alliances?
They even asked me (FLORIDA) and I refused.
Can you explain this to me?
vortex79
Colonel

Re: What up with ILLINOIS?

Post by vortex79 »

AI try to make as many allies as it can within its orbit/orbats to marginalize the player's diplomatic efforts. All AIs do this.
Graygan
Colonel

Post by Graygan »

This is especially true for poor Illinois. They are literally surrounded by nations that hate them and can't wait to take'em out. They are always one of the first to go, sometimes even before N. Korea and Israel.

The only time I've ever seen Illinois survive the onslaught is when I help them immediately, or when I'm playing them. Even then it can be really tough at first.
vortex79
Colonel

Post by vortex79 »

Actually Graygan.. Illinois typically starts the wars in my campaigns.. against everyone around it. I don't know what's up with it. It's almost a certainty that if you play KY, no matter how good you are to IL, they will declare on you inevitably.. within a year or two of 2020.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Maybe illinois leaderships is weak, they need protection
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Graygan
Colonel

Post by Graygan »

Yeah. In my games Illinois generally starts one of the wars, but then all the others jump on the "Take over Illinois" bandwagon and they fall fast. Just like Israel... sometimes Israel gets the ball rolling by declaring first.

Plus, if you do very high volatility like I do, then it's hard to follow who started what. Inside of a month, 3/4 of the world is at war.
nickcvader
Captain

Post by nickcvader »

Well, that explains things in Washington, why Illinois is so weak (Attempted Anti-Obama joke) [_]O

Same here, I play as New York, and often Illinois declares war on most neighbors, in my games, the war drags on for at least 6-7 years. When I reach Illinois, they took over Indiana, most of the Great Plains, etc.

And when I finally declared war, I was in Springfield, Chicago, St. Louis, and most other cities within a day.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Maybe Lesotho is threatening them with full scale invasion?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Mission Space wrote:Maybe Lesotho is threatening them with full scale invasion?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Nikola Serb
Captain

Post by Nikola Serb »

Mission Space wrote:Maybe Lesotho is threatening them with full scale invasion?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dropped by invaders, BOMB RAID IN VAIN!
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

vortex79 wrote:AI try to make as many allies as it can within its orbit/orbats to marginalize the player's diplomatic efforts. All AIs do this.
Armenia has allied with the entire world though. ???
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin
Lord Jitter
Warrant Officer

Post by Lord Jitter »

Illinois is very fun to play as though. Kind of a juggling act between all the neighbors. Illinois seems to die the same way everytime I play (when im not them of course) and it is usually from stuff they start.
"Let fly the white flag of war"
"That's the problem with Neutrals - you never know where you stand. Damn them and their neutrality."
From the great Captain Zapp Brannigan
The Mithar Empire
Lieutenant

Post by The Mithar Empire »

In one of my games, I had the world volatility at max just to see what would happen. I played as my home state (Mississippi) and started as per usual, allying with the other southeastern states + California, then suddenly Illinois starts annexing Iowa then as expected almost every state declares war on Illinois, except for me who is still building up the econ and military, I figured I'd be safe for a while since everyone is after Illinois, so suddenly Illinois declares war on me, but then this is where everyone goes apeshit, every state started declaring war on one another even after they all declared war on Illinois. Eventually Tennessee got pissed because of my military build-up (thanks Illinois) and declared war on me and started annexing some of my territory, but my military was busy fighting Mexico (because Texas and California declared war on them) so I was practically defenseless.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

One of the devs ex wives if from Illinois, it is programed to essentially self destruct every time.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
wsoxfan
Lieutenant

Post by wsoxfan »

:evil: :evil: :evil: Why are you all hating on my home state?! Illinois will own all.
@GIJoe597 seriously?

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”