is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Legend, Balthagor

Post Reply
Message
Author
tboy21
Major
Posts: 164
Joined: May 25 2005

is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#1 Post by tboy21 » Nov 10 2009

for example: country X is being attacked and ask an ally for help

User avatar
Benjaminvallen1
Major
Posts: 194
Joined: Apr 07 2009

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#2 Post by Benjaminvallen1 » Nov 10 2009

tboy21 wrote:for example: country X is being attacked and ask an ally for help
not that I know of. Formal Allies will sometimes declare war on people who attack you and their cassus belli towards you goes up. Mutual Defense treaties, if enacted before the war, automatically causes either party to join in if one of the two are attacked by a third party.

Counter question: If there is a three way mutual defense treaty (i.e. German (me) has a Formal Alliance and Mutual Defense with The Ukraine and Georgia) I know if I am attacked (lets say by Russia, because that is why the alliance exists) Georgia and the Ukraine declare war. NOW, say Russia attacks GEORGIA instead of ME, I, too, must declare war. However, since I am now being forced into war, must the Ukraine enter the war as well?
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

tboy21
Major
Posts: 164
Joined: May 25 2005

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#3 Post by tboy21 » Nov 10 2009

Benjaminvallen1 wrote:
tboy21 wrote:for example: country X is being attacked and ask an ally for help
not that I know of. Formal Allies will sometimes declare war on people who attack you and their cassus belli towards you goes up. Mutual Defense treaties, if enacted before the war, automatically causes either party to join in if one of the two are attacked by a third party.

Counter question: If there is a three way mutual defense treaty (i.e. German (me) has a Formal Alliance and Mutual Defense with The Ukraine and Georgia) I know if I am attacked (lets say by Russia, because that is why the alliance exists) Georgia and the Ukraine declare war. NOW, say Russia attacks GEORGIA instead of ME, I, too, must declare war. However, since I am now being forced into war, must the Ukraine enter the war as well?
Imean is there a war pact treaty?
No surrender after nuking PLS!

Graygan
Colonel
Posts: 256
Joined: Dec 29 2008

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#4 Post by Graygan » Nov 10 2009

So far as I know, there is no way(short of cheating) to force an AI nation into a war. Even with the cheats it's random.

As for the mutual defense, that does not force the other member nation to go to war. I've had numerous mutual defense treaties. When the nation I have the treaty with gets attacked, I choose to not go to war more often than not. I just ignore the message and delete it. The treaty is still in effect and you're not at war. The AI does the same thing. I've been attacked many times and the AI does not always go to war, even if we have a mutual defense treaty.

User avatar
sa_3_d911
Brigadier Gen.
Posts: 827
Joined: Feb 27 2009
Location: Egypt,The arab world

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#5 Post by sa_3_d911 » Nov 10 2009

there is no way to force an AI nation to declare war on your enemy ,the mutual defense should but they rarely commit to it so don't expect them to com to your aid if you are losing
"If I weren't an Egyptian, I would have wished to be an Egyptian" Mostafa kamel


MAY THE SOULS OF THE THOUSANDS WHO GAVE UP THERE MOST PRECIOUS THING FOR US REST IN PEACE ,AMIN

Joubarbe
Corporal
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 31 2008

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#6 Post by Joubarbe » Jan 15 2010

Sorry to revive this thread.

Is this a bug ? I mean, if we can't buy units from other countries and if our allies don't come to help us in case of war EVEN with a mutual defense treaty, we are all alone :) Is this normal... ?

Hundane
General
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sep 11 2008

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#7 Post by Hundane » Jan 15 2010

Its not a bug, its the way the game works.

Thyfur
Warrant Officer
Posts: 40
Joined: Jan 05 2010
Human: Yes

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#8 Post by Thyfur » Jan 17 2010

And in reality that is the way the world works now too. Many nations have defense pacts but often will put them on the back burner until all diplomatic options run out. If you read up on WWI you can see both sides of this happening. Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy all had mutual defense treaties or formal alliances. However Germany came to Austria's aid, but Italy did not come to either aid and eventually joined the allies.

So far I have had only two allies ever declare war on my enemies, both times the aggressor state was not me. First time I was playing England and British Columbia declare war on Illinois after the went to war with half the the US, Mexico and England. Second time was playing South Germany and Poland attacked me, East Germany declared war on Poland right away.

On the flip side, as England I got very aggressive later on (playing with cheat saddam and started 20 wars), I took half of Africa due to alliances, and then attack Paris (cas belli was 70+%) had all my allies abandon me when all of Africa that was free declared war on me and kicked out of the UN to boot.

User avatar
Fistalis
General
Posts: 3301
Joined: Jun 23 2009
Human: Yes
Location: x:355 y:216
Contact:

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#9 Post by Fistalis » Feb 07 2010

Thyfur wrote:And in reality that is the way the world works now too. Many nations have defense pacts but often will put them on the back burner until all diplomatic options run out. If you read up on WWI you can see both sides of this happening. Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy all had mutual defense treaties or formal alliances. However Germany came to Austria's aid, but Italy did not come to either aid and eventually joined the allies.

So far I have had only two allies ever declare war on my enemies, both times the aggressor state was not me. First time I was playing England and British Columbia declare war on Illinois after the went to war with half the the US, Mexico and England. Second time was playing South Germany and Poland attacked me, East Germany declared war on Poland right away.

On the flip side, as England I got very aggressive later on (playing with cheat saddam and started 20 wars), I took half of Africa due to alliances, and then attack Paris (cas belli was 70+%) had all my allies abandon me when all of Africa that was free declared war on me and kicked out of the UN to boot.
Which begs the question.. wtf does a mutual defense treaty actually do in game terms? Do they lose treaty integ if they don't declare or increase the likely hood they will declare Or give them more CB toward a nation that attacks you? or is it simply useless?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site
Redistribution of my mods is prohibited. By downloading them you agree to not redistribute the file(s) without expressed permission.

User avatar
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Posts: 11833
Joined: Jun 04 2002
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#10 Post by tkobo » Feb 07 2010

It generates cb for you on the dowing region,to allow you to declare war with less of a diplo hit,on said region.

There was talk about saying no,IE not honoring the treaty,giving a hit on intergrity,i dont remeber how that turned out.But it didnt matter IF i remember correctly as you could just put off answering and never take said hit even if it existed.Saying no by the action of putting off the decision,rather then just saying no.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

User avatar
Fistalis
General
Posts: 3301
Joined: Jun 23 2009
Human: Yes
Location: x:355 y:216
Contact:

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#11 Post by Fistalis » Feb 07 2010

tkobo wrote:It generates cb for you on the dowing region,to allow you to declare war with less of a diplo hit,on said region.

There was talk about saying no,IE not honoring the treaty,giving a hit on intergrity,i dont remeber how that turned out.But it didnt matter IF i remember correctly as you could just put off answering and never take said hit even if it existed.Saying no by the action of putting off the decision,rather then just saying no.
So for illustration purposes... if you.. country X... have a mutual defense with country Y and country Z attacks you. Country Y gets more CB toward country Z than if you were simply in an alliance.Nice to know... now about production ministers and international repercussions.... [_]OT
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site
Redistribution of my mods is prohibited. By downloading them you agree to not redistribute the file(s) without expressed permission.

User avatar
Anatolian
Major
Posts: 183
Joined: Sep 24 2009
Human: Yes

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#12 Post by Anatolian » May 08 2010

Actually, if you want an ally to join you in war, then copy and paste your saved games to the Supreme Ruler multiplayer folder, and then start a multiplayer LAN game and choose to play as your ally country. Its the same saved game, but you can CHOOSE which country to play with (so the state of the current nation you are playing with and everything that has happened in game is the same, your just playing another country). Then declare war on the country you want and then save it. Open it again, switch to the country you where playing initially, save it, and move the saved files back into single player. Thats how you get an ally to declare war on another region if they dont do it anyway with mutual defence treaties.
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Octavious226
Warrant Officer
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 15 2011
Human: Yes

Re: is there a treaty that makes an ally join a war?

#13 Post by Octavious226 » Feb 15 2011

To my suprise as i was playing North K. i was at war with South K.(the first to enter war always) and i was almost losing my land and surprisingly China helped me at the last minute but it was too late my country was going to be taken over anyways so i pulled my remaining troops into China's land so my guys will be safe :D but yeah the Mutual Defense is quite useless.Oh yeah dont ever be North K. unless u know what ur doing at war i suck @ battles im only good with wars on Shattered World haha
Sometimes I'm real cool, but sometimes I could be a real *******. I think everyone is like that.

Post Reply

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”