Formal Alliance

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Roland040
Colonel

Formal Alliance

Post by Roland040 »

Hello i noticed that when you make an alliance with a country, several other agreements are made within it ( like line of sight etc ). Then there are only a few treaties left to make. This formal alliance seems to be a big package to make. I notice with China they wont have anything to do with me as Bhutan but they will with Nepal and other countries from far away. I cant see why they should treat me differently when i havent done anything to them.

The trouble is i suppose if you end up making formal alliances all round you, its hard to go to war with anyone in the future without upsetting the UN and the rest of the world. I guess thats the catch 22 of it. So what im saying like others we could have done with more diplomatic options not use them all up in one go.
tonystowe
Colonel

Re: Formal Alliance

Post by tonystowe »

I completely agree with you and have made several posts regarding the lack of diplomatic options. The diplomacy doesn't really count for much because you gain the full alliance so quickly without any long term obligations. Additionally, you do not have to offer your allies anything once the agreement is final to ensure they remain an ally - plus, the alliance is set to last to infinity.

Changes are needed in this area.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

What other options do you want?
Can you describe some interactions between nations that you'd like to see?
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello well the formal alliance seems far too generalised without any purpose. All thats included seems far too much between countries that havent anything in common with each other. I looked at my neighbour Nepal and she has alliances with countries all over the world. There should be two types of alliance setup. Either you start a world campaign where certain groups of countries are already have something in common like the EU as one eaxmple. Or if youve a small or outsider country without many friends you should work harder to make an alliance with other countries depending on their background. You start off gradually with economic agreements, then transit through territory, then have none aggression treaties, finally military ones sort of work your way up. I admit im playing at low volatility level. With the cception of countries like China, Myanmar and a few others who seem to have problems making friends everyone seems to have a free for all with countries around the world who haedly have much in common. Its the diplomacy side of things that makes games like this so interesting after the military side, i hope these ideas would help.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I still think, as a few others have said, "alliance" needs to be broken into a bunch of very specific types.Like:

1)trade alliance types
a-for a specific resource-think of diplo deals for a resource,but done automatically between regions,so as to keep the money between like mindsets.This way scarce resources could be used in this type of diplo deal before making it to the world market.Making it very important to keep friends who have certain resources that you need.
b-cartels,where regions join and have to price the resource related to the cartel they put on the open market as the cartel says.
c-other idea here

2)Military alliance types
a-financial support ,includes resource-this gives a set framework for regions to support each other in wars automatically,without going to war.Lend lease like assistance
b-limited military support.This could use that group control issue,so that a region could trade units to another region for use in thier war,but retain some control other said units
c-war declaration
d- other idea here

Kind of thing...
And of course,third party treaties would be a very nice step.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello yes as i was finally getting into this game playing such a small state i was rather taken aback how easy it was for me to make alliances with bigger countries like India when ive hardly done anything for them and all what the package involved. Also because of the LOS i can see everything going on in India. I see the movement of military units right deep in India. How can i do that without satellites? Also i see the same type of military units which are heavy artillery moving backwards and forwards on my border.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

tkobo wrote:I still think, as a few others have said, "alliance" needs to be broken into a bunch of very specific types.Like:

1)trade alliance types
a-for a specific resource-think of diplo deals for a resource,but done automatically between regions,so as to keep the money between like mindsets.This way scarce resources could be used in this type of diplo deal before making it to the world market.Making it very important to keep friends who have certain resources that you need.
b-cartels,where regions join and have to price the resource related to the cartel they put on the open market as the cartel says.
c-other idea here

2)Military alliance types
a-financial support ,includes resource-this gives a set framework for regions to support each other in wars automatically,without going to war.Lend lease like assistance
b-limited military support.This could use that group control issue,so that a region could trade units to another region for use in thier war,but retain some control other said units
c-war declaration
d- other idea here

Kind of thing...
And of course,third party treaties would be a very nice step.
I like these ideas as well as alot of others that have been suggested on some other posts around these forums. I would also like to see all these have term limits or be renewable after a certain amount of time. Things change over time and agreements made early might not be needed in the future or governments will change leaders and policies may change.

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”