Trade in arrears..

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Nick_UK
Lieutenant

Trade in arrears..

Post by Nick_UK »

hey all, I've been doing trades with russia and the usa, while playing as the uk...

I traded some tech for a crazy amount of argriculture & electricity, weekly: 520 x 5 million of each. Suffice to say I got an amazing deal... I think it's a little exploit in the game.
Nevertheless, when these countries can't pay this as their out of stock, it says they are in arrears on the diplomacy screen and missed playments on the main screen.

What in the game does arrears mean for me? Surely I should get some hefty compensation in cash for missed payments... with interest... Currently I don't see that, and I seem to miss out.

Anyone?
Thanks.
Supreme67
Warrant Officer

Re: Trade in arrears..

Post by Supreme67 »

Maybe it's like defaulting on a loan. They can't pay so I guess you have no choice but to end the deal. Probably won't be good where your relationship with that country is concerned.
Nick_UK
Lieutenant

Post by Nick_UK »

Yeah but if you're the bank and a client defaults on a loan, they take your house.... or send in the debt collectors.

Surely in the situation with a country, they should pay in some other resource or cash... or research tech... Some sort of trade off to cover the debt...
Thorgrimm
Captain

Post by Thorgrimm »

From what I have seen I think it helps raise your CB against the region that is in arrears. Which makes it easier to gat a war dec on them without the UN and the rest of the world breathing down your neck. :-)

And as for collecting the debt owed, what excuse do you think was the most prevelant the European Powers used to set up colonies in the 19th Century?

Example, Egypt 1880's.

So a good tactic is to make a trade deal with a region that you know will eventually default on their payments and let the Belli build up and then boom, come 'collecting' the debt they owe you by repoing their nation. :lol:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

this is ludicrous

I worked my ass of as israel to get some good uranium deals with south africa going but they are defaulting on their payments...heck I don't mind that much since I asked more then I needed :D but I'd like to default on my payment too then without breaking all ties. Something like [_]O technical error we send it to the wrong account 8) (<---my own swiss bank account)

Any word from the goats on this? I'd like to know what this does too.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Nick_UK wrote:Yeah but if you're the bank and a client defaults on a loan, they take your house.... or send in the debt collectors.Surely in the situation with a country, they should pay in some other resource or cash... or research tech... Some sort of trade off to cover the debt...

Debt colector:mr putin we need to colect compansation for your failing to keep up your deal

Putin: in 9mm,5.56mm,120mm,155mm or a nuke
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Countries in south america have defaulted on a regular basis on debts during the modern times.
Ecuador ( i "think" thats the one)has defaulted twice in the last decade ,for something over 10 billion dollars...IF i remember correctly, they have defaulted something like 6 times in thier nations history..

Its actually more common than we think.Russia for instance defaulted in 1998,IF i remember correctly.

In sr2010,it gave the creditor a belli increase.Not sure what it does sr2020,or GC.

A way to purposely default as the player, at a cost of belli from the creditor would be a nice touch..
Even if im sure it would be exploited :lol:
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”