Mutual defense not autodeclaration of war?

With more regions available at once, who will you trade with? Who will you ignore? Will you trade for products, technologies, military designs or treaties? How much will you trade with your future enemies?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

UsF
Lieutenant

Mutual defense not autodeclaration of war?

Post by UsF »

I am Germany.
I had a mutual defense with France.
Poland attacked me for whatever reason.

France does not have Poland in their enemy list.

Is this a bug or intended?
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

It's intended. If you do not act on a DOW with someone you have mutual defense with it affects relations.
UsF
Lieutenant

Post by UsF »

Dang.

Time for some isolationism.
Hawk Firestorm
Sergeant

Post by Hawk Firestorm »

Doesn't seem to.

There should be a massive penalty even for the AI for not honoring it's treaties.
midn8t
Sergeant

Re: Mutual defense not autodeclaration of war?

Post by midn8t »

UsF wrote:I am Germany.
I had a mutual defense with France.
Poland attacked me for whatever reason.

France does not have Poland in their enemy list.

Is this a bug or intended?
yah I think allaince stuff is broken becuase it never seems to do anything, allys never ever help each othere, nations will random go to war and they may happen to be in an allaince, but they never if you attack someone in allaince nothing will happen to you othere then you attack a nation in an allaince.

also if you breack allainces and stuff computer dosnt seem to be effect by breacking or not honoring allainces.

I think whole system is broken.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Are you talking SR2010 or SR2020?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
UsF
Lieutenant

Post by UsF »

Well my first post was about 2020, but I do not know about midn8t.
bostjan
Warrant Officer

Post by bostjan »

it's true, no ally supports country in war, I played couple of games and no one came to aid,..
warriorsoflight
Lieutenant

Post by warriorsoflight »

i;m surprised, i thought the same thing to as i play italy and every game france will attack me. So in a game as italy, i made an alliance with spain and russia. They attacked me and nothing happened. I played several games and only in my current game after being attacked, my allied joined the war and spain and I crushed france. I looked at frances enemies and allys and noticed alot my allies were at war with her. SO i guess it works sometimes and not all the times.

I wish we could call are allies to fight with us when were attacked. If they refused, they the alliance can be broken or relations tarnished.

at the moment, i think the alliances for mutual defence is broken. i'll try again though and see if this was just a fluke or it was working like intended
killerflood
Brigadier Gen.

Post by killerflood »

i think it was just a coincedence....

edit: hey devs can you please offer a diplomatic suggestion when you go to war you can send a request so that your ally goes to war with you?
Economically people **** on me

"How come I have this mental image of tkobo's tanks running over these fleeing soldiers, saying 'what was that? oh, just a speed bump'... :)"
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

actually, at least AI never supports the human player..not sure about AI supporting each other during alliances..

But, when my alliances are at war(usually i play NL and alliance with Belgium, Lux, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, UK, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland) to be able to destroy and take over Germany/France(those 2 seem to love each other in the game) I always refuse and I just ally with them so i get a nice CB against germany and france to declare war on either of them without getting the 2nd on my neck..but I never saw my relations with belgium or any other mentioned country to decrease because I refuse dozens of times.

Neither when I'm attacked does belgium or denmark help me out, and because they refuse to help me, my CB against them doesn't raise(in reality most alliances do break up when this happen, can't imagine what happens to NATO if the USA would be attacked by China while EU saying"your problem, not ours") surely USA won't declare war on europe, but pretty sure the alliance would break up...maybe not in any case(like terror attacks and then countries refuse to help) but in the game you can refuse dozens of times without any penalties(so it seems) at least no REAL penalties with real IMPACT..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I am playing as the US. I am allied with Japan, SK, Siam, India, UK, and Isreal. I have an official alliance and a two sided defensive pact with all of them. While there are a ton of wars going on the ones that are important are India and china, Russia and China, SK and china, India and NK, SK and NK, Russia and NK. I have a transport treaty with Russia and have been doing a little bit of trade with them. SK and Japan are allied with Russia. I have a 100 CB against russia (they have been building a ton of military structures (over 80 aircraft fabrication facilities alone)), but only 27 percent to most of the other countries. Most of this is happening in the years 2021-2023. I play on military and diplomaticly at Very Hard, until I am about to declare war then I will lower it to very easy then bring it back up after.

I did not want to jump in and attack NK right away becouse I was afraid that Canada would come after me and I wanted to work a little on my budget before i went crazy with war. However I was giving NK and India supplies for thier war efforts. Even using my supply air units to keep thier front lines in supply up in china's western boarders. I moved ground troops into SK and moved them to the front lines hoping to discourage NK from attacking. (I would get hit from NK and get the option to ignore or declare war). After anouther year I finaly had the longer range arty that I would need for a war with NK. And had the reserve troops to defend an attack from canada or Mexico. I then positioned the rest of my troops in SK and prepared for war with NK.

So in the defense of my ally I declare war on NK.(and by this time japan and Siam are at war with China, and india is at war with NK) Everybody hates me allot for doing this. Well crap. ok so I reload to just before declaring war. Hmm maybe if I move my units to the frontlines again and they get hit by NK. and I use that declare war option. I did that but it had the same effects as just declaring war. Ok so the only other way I know to declare war without everyone hating me is a border incursion. And thats what I do, allot of people hate me but not as bad as just declaring war. I even lost people support with SK. Hell I was coming to save thier ass and they dont like me for it.

Now I did this war with NK 5 or so times. reloading to just before to try out a few different stratagies. There are a few key things I want to point out here. On one attempt I left my units to passive hoping SK would follow up behind me conquring the land so I could keep my units in supply. Yea this did not happen..... On anouther attempt I went active and conqured the land so I could keep my units in supply However once I got controlled all the SK bordering land and moved half way up into NK, SK was not assisting me in the battle against NK, Also SK's relations droped even further becouse of this.... So then on the final go at it. I moved my forces up the north eastern part of NK. Leaving a gateway for SK to more threw NK on the south western side of NK. However I was using my arty and my air units to keep that portion of NK clear so SK could move its troops forward. Now SK never moved its troops into that portion of NK even while I was well into china's and russia's territory.

Which brings me to my next point. Once I get a boarder with russia they declare war on me. I mean I am at war with the people they are at war with, we have transportation and supply treaties. I am not at war with anyone they like. So they should be happy that I am defeating thier enemies for them. But instead they declare war on me. I wrote it off as them being upset that I was taking the land that they wanted to attack and so they attacked me. So at this point in time I am like fine screw it instead of being the helpful police country that I am, I am just going to have to conqure the world and regulate thier freedoms threw total control.

So my whole point is its stupid that you cannot assit your mutual defense ally without the world coming down on you. However I do have a solution to this. When you have a mutual defense treaty with a country and an alliance. When your units are on your allies territory and they are on the frontlines. If they get hit by the attacking country or are forced to move from thier location from thier location, you already get a report that says you have been attacked by a neutral country with the option to ignore or declare war. But the new option would be:
  • Ignore (loose relations with your ally).
  • Declare war (You would not recieve as much CB as normaly declaring war would cause)
  • Propose peace (increase your CB on that nation. Increase your relations with the UN and allies, slightly increase the two waring nations relations(so it has a higher liklyhood of success)).
  • Ask for assistance (the allies of the your ally with move units there too)(which will evenualy cause a joint operation against the enemy)
playa
Lieutenant

Post by playa »

Yeah. This is pretty stupid. I have three allies and I got attacked by a bunch of my neighbors and no one is coming to help me, nor economically, not with goods, not with military.

This game sure seems broken... :-(
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The question has usually been, if they don't really like you but do like the person attacking you, why should they help you let alone attack the other region...

Some of the balance changes being made for update 4 will likely change some of how these sort of situations come up and may create different outcomes. We'll be talking more about this over then next couple weeks. We'll also need feedback in threads like these after the update is out for the impact of the change.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
playa
Lieutenant

Post by playa »

Balthagor wrote:The question has usually been, if they don't really like you but do like the person attacking you, why should they help you let alone attack the other region...
Is that like, how my allies are thinking you mean? In that case, perhaps they should dissolve the alliance or atleast we should be able to do that (which we can't at this stage). But yeah, if they like a non-allied person before an allied person who helps them out when in trouble, then for sure something is wrong here!

Return to “Diplomacy - 2020”