AI ever play to win?

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

rhjyyz
Major

AI ever play to win?

Post by rhjyyz »

Glancing over the prod/ecomy thread, it sounds like the AI will be a push over again. Still, you guys have the best game in this genre hands down so I'll definitely be buying the game again.

It would be nice to have an option where the AI becomes a "little hitler or Alexander, etc" where if the circumstances are right tries to rules the world. Kind of like a suicide option of sorts. Not realistic perhaps, but it IS a game.

See my goal is to take the weakest country (or at least very weak), like an Eritrea,Burma or Cote de ivore' type and become the supreme ruler of the world!! It was pretty easy in 2010 after realizing the AI didn't attack the "rear" or do surprise attacks so to speak ( no sea/air transports so no inter-continential issues to worry about)so you could keep leap frogging your forces from continent to continent to take more and more territory. I hope at least this is enabled for the AI.

Also the fact that it may not build new buildings/facilites and such is a little dissapointing as well, as this is the key to world domination. Be that it may I'm sure the scenarios are quite well done, even if I don't play them, it probably does represent the major portion of your followers interests. 2 weeks and counting!!
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

I'm not sure how players will end up using this... but we've introduced a few difficulty settings into the game...
military
economics
diplomacy

... so on each one you can pick different settings. You could play easy military with hard diplomacy.

or you could play hard military, and easy diplomacy. etc
We hope this will help a bit and give a new form of variety to gameplay.
killerflood
Brigadier Gen.

Post by killerflood »

will the AI get pissy and attack you for no reason again like in 2010?
Economically people **** on me

"How come I have this mental image of tkobo's tanks running over these fleeing soldiers, saying 'what was that? oh, just a speed bump'... :)"
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

killerflood wrote:will the AI get pissy and attack you for no reason again like in 2010?
The AI in SR2010 did not attack without reasons - ever. Which may in itself have been a flaw. The AI attacked when it had cause and (other than the "hate humans" on very hard) cause only came from the player making "unjust" actions such as declaring war without justification. That fact makes it hard to answer your questions. More details would be helpful.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
killerflood
Brigadier Gen.

Post by killerflood »

well what im trying to say is. if you build like crazy, will they get tired and attack you? i think it was build-*****

though it may have some realistic measure, not every country in the world will attack you just because you build more units.

like one time i was building up for an invasion and then all of the sudden somebody on another continent attacked me!!

thats unreal.

"How come I have this mental image of tkobo's tanks running over these fleeing soldiers, saying 'what was that? oh, just a speed bump'... :)"
rhjyyz
Major

Post by rhjyyz »

Killer, you must be thinking of another game unless it was Europe/Asia. Couldn't happen because the AI is unable to do air/sea transport. I thought it was quite the opposite. The AI was a push over. I took over the world with Iran in the game in less than 10 game years.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I believe Killerflood means "they DoWed me".

Yes, the "hate the build capacity leader" element is still there, and it is another of those points that even we in the dev team can't agree should it/should it not be there...

For the moment it is still in effect.

Although the AI does consider geography when declaring war. When I played as the Ukraine and attaked Belarus wiht little justification, Moldova, Poland and Hungary where first to attack and for some time my only other enemies.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
killerflood
Brigadier Gen.

Post by killerflood »

thats 1/3 hopes lets get it to 2/3.

will the AI gang up on you? like...dogpile?

Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Balthagor wrote: ...Yes, the "hate the build capacity leader" element is still there, and it is another of those points that even we in the dev team can't agree should it/should it not be there...

Arghhhhhh! Tell me it ain't so!

So, if you play the U.S. (or China or Russia) and you embark upon a unilateral disarmament campaign, and become a limp wristed pacifist -- everyone will eventually DOW you anyway because you have the "capacity" to build units?

Chris, I have to tell you, this was one of the worst features of SR2010. I am truly sorry to hear it didn't get changed for SR2020.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

Feltan wrote:Chris, I have to tell you, this was one of the worst features of SR2010. I am truly sorry to hear it didn't get changed for SR2020.
I echo these sentiments.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
TM (Ghost)
Captain

Post by TM (Ghost) »

Balthagor wrote:Yes, the "hate the build capacity leader" element is still there, and it is another of those points that even we in the dev team can't agree should it/should it not be there...
Please tell me that the AI is not as reactive to this as it was in 2010. Please!
red
General

Post by red »

The AI did declare war for no reason. If one started a game and let it run, not ever touching a thing, all AI regions would eventually declare war on you. If you haven't changed that--it's just amazing.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

All of the elements discussed in this thread have received changes from SR2010, though some core concepts do remain (and can be tweaked).

Some of the bigger changes:

- AIs will give much greater consideration to proximity when planning their actions. That's not to say that you won't get a declaration of war from the other side of the planet, but you're more likely to get regions in your vicinity to take actions against you.

- "Anti-Human" sentiment is applied at the higher difficulty levels. It is not applied at lower difficulty levels.

- "Anti-Build Leader" is also applied at the higher difficulty levels, though the overall effects are different from SR2010 (more civilian opinion effect, etc)

- AI's are more greatly effected by how you treat (or mis-treat) their friends. This is where you'll get some of the around-the-world declarations - if the US really likes Israel, and Syria declares war on Israel, then the US has a likelyhood of declaring war, even though it is 'out of area'.

- AIs will do more plotting as co-ordinated blocks, and declare war together. So you might have a group of a dozen AI regions decided that they will form an informal alliance and all declare war on you within a day or two. Again, you need to get some of a group of friends mad a t you, and the other friends will gang together. This is also more likely in higher difficulty levels.

- "Hot Relations" maps - our 'Melting Point' sandbox map is an example of this, where likes and dislikes are magnified, making AI's much more active (aggressive in some cases, defensive and diplomatic in others, etc).

The three separate difficulty settings we've added really allow players to fine tune this much more. I mean really, for every 'the AI doesn't take action' comments I see there is another 'the AI takes action too quickly' comment. Those are clearly diametrically opposed requests. In SR2020 we try to give players options to adjust this more to their liking.

-- George.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Would it be possible in a later patch that the variables used in the calculations above (variables such as "how much each build capacity point pisses everyone off") be made available to tweak in a config file?

Allowing us to mod such things could please both groups!

People who think the AI is too reactive will use a mod which reduces the reactivity of the AI and vise versa.

It is truly impossible to please everyone when making a game. But allowing us more access into the game's assorted variables will make the game appeal to a broader audience. Which is the real magic of mods. :D
Missiles!! Nukes!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

red wrote:The AI did declare war for no reason. If one started a game and let it run, not ever touching a thing, all AI regions would eventually declare war on you. If you haven't changed that--it's just amazing.
This is not true, if you just started a game without changing any settings and are not the build cap leader there was no upwards pressure on Causus Belli. In my current games of Supreme Ruler 2020 I set military difficulty = very hard, economic difficulty = hard and diplomatic difficulty = normal. It is the diplomatic difficulty > normal that causes the "hate all humans" to kick in. If on normal diplomacy difficulty and not the build cap leader there is no upwards pressure on your belli.

And even if your above example is based on playing at "very hard", the AI had a reason to declare war, it had high belli. It was the reason that was artificial, not the DoW...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - 2020”