Battleships?

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I went with Kansas.

The European one won't be in update 4 because I've still got no idea what AA system to give it. R, C and U versions will be in.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Does this mean while its shelling its enemies, you'll hear the song "Dust in the Wind" in the background ? :P
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
kender
Warrant Officer

Post by kender »

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005 Post subject:
I went with Kansas.

The European one won't be in update 4 because I've still got no idea what AA system to give it. R, C and U versions will be in.

give it the same as the UK-French Futur Carrier. It would have UK AA or ASTER 15 and 30 + short protection.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Really? :-?

The Aster 30 only has a 30km range. Not very impressive compared to the american SM2-ER at 283km...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
kender
Warrant Officer

Post by kender »

I already explain, it is only the ASTER 15 who has a 30km range. the ASTER 30 has a 100km range.

following this english webpage of its builder they are "in excess of" :
(watch à the right parts of the page.)
http://www.mbda.net/site/FO/scripts/sit ... noeu_id=89

I muqst be very bad in english to be unable to explain this point. :cry: :cry: :cry:
kender
Warrant Officer

Post by kender »

And for Ship defense or battle group defense, I think (but I'm not a sailor) that your task forces must be grouped in less than 10km.

after that, a vessel must be call "detaché" (not sur in english, send away in mission, so autonomous).

So the range is not so important, it is the intercept perf. whitch are the most important point. And the differents ASTER systems (the system is modular, it could have 3 or more differents radars) arrive to "HIT" the target (not explode 1 or 2 meter away)
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

What about this discussion?
I think here is a very good explanation of what the radar can be!

The_Blind_One wrote:
The best Dutch radar I've seen is the DA-05 (listed at 165km) which we clip to 107km. If you'd like to suggest a better system...
Actually we use the SMART-L and the APAR radar on our vessels, plz look them up I can't find any info so soon but the SMART-L should be around 400 km range :D
SMART-L is an advanced 3D multi-beam radar, which provides a long-range coverage of 400 kilometers. State-of-the-art technology in combination with refined signal processing guarantees excellent performance, especially against stealthy targets and ballistic missiles.
Taken from http://www.naval-technology.com/contrac ... ress2.html

some info on the APAR
Active Phased Array Radar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return to RadarThe Active Phased Array Radar (APAR) is designed to track more than 120 targets within a 60-degree field of view. The Phased Array Antenna will be designed to have elements, such that all transmitted/received Radio Frequency (RF) pulses are amplified from within the phase shifting modules.
The transmit duty cycle is at least 25% (as opposed to 0.5% on the Multiple object Tracking Radar (MOTR) thus allowing for a greater amount of average power on the target with higher Pulse Repetition Frequencies (PRFs), which allow for increased Doppler Resolution between close proximity targets. Real time Doppler tracking is designed into the APAR such that real time target discrimination between closely spaced targets can be achieved.

This system will enable more than 120 targets to be tracked, including multiple tracks at close proximity and debris tracking, i.e Doppler Resolution/Tracking.
The APAR (Active) is a 3D, multi-functional, X-band, active phased array radar system designed for F124 and LCF frigates. It provides surveillance, tracking, and missile guidance.
The APAR radar system features 150 km range and will provide the same advanced capabilities to European frigates than AN/SPY-1 provides to US cruisers and destroyers. Typically each APAR-equipped ship will carry 4 APAR antennas covering 360-degree of possible threat.
http://www.deagel.com/pandora/apar_de00254001.aspx

Also

this is the american variant
AN/SPS-52
The SPS-52 Navy shipboard 3-D Air Search radar is a very long range search radar with medium detection probability. As frequency is varied, the radar's beam axis changes, and scanning can be accomplished in one axis (either elevation or azimuth). Variation in frequency tends to make this radars more resistant to jamming than if operated at a fixed frequency, and it also provides a solution to the blind speed problem in MTI systems. Frequency scanning does impose some limitations in that a large portion of the available frequency band is used for scanning rather than to optimize resolution of targets. Additionally, this imposes the requirement that the receiver bandwidth be extremely wide or that the receiver be capable of shifting the center of a narrower bandwidth with the transmitted frequency.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship ... sps-52.htm

They clearly state it sucks at detecting stealth, however dutch designs are excellent on stealth detection, yet somehow u guys gave the US ships waaay to much credit on stealth detection and range...now that I think of it, u guys simply overpowered the US equipment for bloody hell I know what reason!

I think it would be in order that the european/world and specially the dutch ships should be heavily re-evaluated and be compared to their american counterparts.

Plz fix this :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

kender wrote:I already explain, it is only the ASTER 15 who has a 30km range. the ASTER 30 has a 100km range.
My sources don't seem to match that one, but I suppose I can take that source. But even if we go with Aster 30 @ 100km, that is still nowhere near as long a reach as the American system. The long range is important for keeping opposing aircraft out of range to launch AS missiles. Is Aster 30 really the longest range ship based AA built by a european country?
haenkie wrote:What about this discussion?
I think here is a very good explanation of what the radar can be!
I thought we already resolved that :-? Go back a page and you can see my responses to that post. In summary...
Balthagor wrote:...Neither of my sources back up your claims, sorry. But thanks for pointing out the Smart-L, I'll make sure the ships that do use it have the correct ranges.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
kender
Warrant Officer

Post by kender »

I think the discussion is more on the missile system range than the spotting range of the vessel.

I don't know the NDL vessel/technologies so i will not go in this discussion.

Otherwise, why not to have a dutch radar aboard the European Battleship :-) :-) (good range could help)

For the eternel question about the strenght of US military vehicule in game, they are the only one to do a "peace" war to have or pretend to have an overwhelming technology advantage. Like that, they could sell theirs vehicule and do business. :roll:

So, they are the only one to communicate (spin doctor, come on) about better capactity than reality (or target capacity never gain...). the other country don't give the max capacity to protect the secret of thier capacity...
BUT I M OUT OF SUBJET
kender
Warrant Officer

Post by kender »

ANOTHER OUT OF SUBJECT, SORRY

comming from your source:
The two versions of the missile differ only in the size of their first booster stage and, consequently, their range: from 1.7 to 30 km in the case of the Aster 15, and from three to 80 km in the case of the Aster 30.
so we are far from 30km for the ASTER30. 80 is a OK for me
Updated Tuesday, August 10, 1999 6:31:55 PM
It is perhaps outdate, no?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

hard to say if it is too old an article or not.

I did use the dutch radar for the European Battleship, just waiting for the AA system. Unless anyone has a better suggestion I will go with the Aster system and I am willing to give it 100km since the battleship is tech 105.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Still looking for a name for the European ship :(
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Bismarck is considered to be the 'founding father' of Europe.

But perhaps that gets to much Third Reich associations.

Maybe someone else, like Michelangelo or Da Vinci.

there are not many people in the EU which are common for all nations. We exist a tad longer then the US or Canada....
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Any names of ppl in Europe who had great influence on naval engineering? I like the Da Vinci idea but would like to have a naval theme.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Phoenix_ryan
Lieutenant

Post by Phoenix_ryan »

Hows about Isembard Kindom Brunel, a great engineer, way ahead of his time.
Not specifically naval engineering but I am sure he did some alongside his bridges and railways

Return to “Military - 2020”