REQUEST: Newbie Military guide

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

VietMinh
Warrant Officer

REQUEST: Newbie Military guide

Post by VietMinh »

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone could provide a link to a pretty comprehensive guide on how to micro your troops effectively in a war; or create one if it does not already exist. I HAVE looked at the Supremewiki, BUT it seems to provide information tailored more towards experienced players, as well as unit breakdowns. As anyone who's played this game for more than 10 minutes without any Minister assistance can tell, it is a pretty complex game and has a pretty intimidating learning curve for someone like myself who is used to playing Superpower 2 (LOL). Are there any beginners guides or tips to military conflict in SR2020 Gold you guys can provide me? I'm also going to make a similar request about the Economy in the relevant section. I did come across an economy guide geared towards mid/large nations posted by Graymane on the wiki which uses Brazil as an example, are the recommendations he makes still largely applicable to SR2020 Gold?

My main concern is that I'm interested in playing Vietnam and the DPRK, on global crisis mode, both of whom get attacked fairly early on before any large-scale development can take place, especially in the case of the DPRK. Does anyone have any experience they can share about how to play these two nations? My first instinct is to play as China the first time around as they already have a large military, considerable tech and an export economy fueled by low production costs. However, I'd like to give myself a bit of a challenge rather than simply steamroll through Europe and Asia.
Marxist ~~~ Bolshevik ~~~ Syndicalist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
International Student at the Latin American School of Medicine
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: REQUEST: Newbie Military guide

Post by Ruges »

For DPRK run a search. I remember there being some topics on how to play them. I almost think there was an AAR with them too.

As for a guide for military control. there used to be a nice write up in the wiki for it, but it got replaced by the current guide, which while very informative its is not helpful in telling you how to control everything.

The reason you might not find a good guide anymore is becouse there is no one way. There are hundreds of different ways you can control your military. One thing I always used to suggest is exsperiment your first few games. Do stupid stuff like send all your units on the attack, Or just sending infantry, or just sending arty, Play with your taxes maxing and mining them out to see what happens. Find out the results of these actions and then restart the game so you can use the results to your advantage.
VietMinh
Warrant Officer

Post by VietMinh »

Thanks for the help, do you have any advice concerning micromanaging units? I understand splash damage and how alot of conventional warfare tactics translate into the game ( like putting your ARTY behind your mobile infantry and tanks for supporting fire) My biggest problem is that I don't know how to create control groups like in starcraft
with all my engineers on one group, ready to be deployed to a construction site, my tanks on another and my ARTY on another etc etc. I've been taking heavy unit losses when I play because all my units seem to try to blitzkrieg across enemy lines, where they inevitably get obliterated by enemy long range ARTY and tank support. The conclusion I draw from this is that I need to lock my minister from all garrison control so he can't, in his infinite wisdom, march AA units against tanks. However, if I lock the Defence minister from controlling units will they still retreat if they are taking too much damage and cycle back into battle after being repaired ( according to the ROE I've set) or will they simply just remain stationary until I individually move each unit to and from a supply or repair hex?

Thanks
Marxist ~~~ Bolshevik ~~~ Syndicalist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
International Student at the Latin American School of Medicine
Tnarg
Colonel

Post by Tnarg »

Organizing your units is really your own preference of play style. I like to organize my battle groups into brigades, divisions, sometimes even whole armies. That way they are pretty easy to find, right tool for the right job. Need a small highly mobile brigade to defend a border incursion, 1 click and send them on their way. Need a division size formation to surround a city, one click and manuever the whole division to a staging area and then spread them out where you need them. If you work with larger countries an army group on east front, an army group on the west front, a reserve army for opportunity breakthroughs or to counter a 2nd enemy coming from the north.

If this is your style of play I created a Various Military Organizations forum in the AAR section. I tried my best to break down different size units for the US, Russia, and there is one for smaller developing 3rd world countries.

Hopes this helps a little.
Jax the Arisn
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by Jax the Arisn »

I use Assault Brigade styling. Each brigade is its own self contained assault unit. It might have armour, mortars, and mechanized infantry. Or Long range artillery, AA, and light infantry. My goal is to have each brigade able to secure a city.
Ten thousand men descending from the clouds might do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them

Return to “Military - 2020”