What do light infanty units represent?

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

What do light infanty units represent?

Post by MK4 »

Sr2020 has two generic Light Infantry units(and an upgraded one for the future). One has a western look and the other an eastern armoured car aspect. I`m curious what they stand for since the game generally depicts most troop carrying vehicles, including the lighter ones like the Humvee. What are these then? Guys in pickup trucks?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: What do light infanty units represent?

Post by Ruges »

There are several light infantry. Are you talking about the ones in the jeeps, or the ones on foot? Generaly you can tell what they represent by the picture. If its a jeep then its guys in jeeps, if its foot then they are guys without any transport. The stats will reflect it too. The guys with jeeps can go much further and faster then the guys without. They will also cost more and use fuel.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I am referring to the two units that are actually named "Light Infantry" without any other detail.
359,"Light Infantry",0,5,,,9,0,1,6,40,,UDEFGHMSIJDKNTV,.....
360,"Light Infantry",0,44,,,9,0,1,6,40,,ABRCLQYOZ,.....

There are several other mounted units that have "light infantry" in their name or which represent light infantry, but they all have the name the vehicle they use in their name too. Like the Vodnik. So the ones above are meant as some generic vehicle. I doubt their in game graphics are a giveaway since they use that of other units. So, what are these units meant to portray? Infantrymen loaded in unarmoured cars of whatever nature?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

MK4 wrote:I am referring to the two units that are actually named "Light Infantry" without any other detail.
359,"Light Infantry",0,5,,,9,0,1,6,40,,UDEFGHMSIJDKNTV,.....
360,"Light Infantry",0,44,,,9,0,1,6,40,,ABRCLQYOZ,.....

There are several other mounted units that have "light infantry" in their name or which represent light infantry, but they all have the name the vehicle they use in their name too. Like the Vodnik. So the ones above are meant as some generic vehicle. I doubt their in game graphics are a giveaway since they use that of other units. So, what are these units meant to portray? Infantrymen loaded in unarmoured cars of whatever nature?
Pretty much.. modern motorized infantry divisions.
Which is why the U.S. version uses the HMMV model and the Russian version uses the vodnik model.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Pretty much.. modern motorized infantry divisions.
Using what for vehicles? That`s my question. The Vodnik has its own separate entry and even vehicles from the IMV class like the Bushmaster are separate units. The M1114 and the M1117 are present as recon units(and imo that`s where they belong when translated to game terms). Again, I`m having a feeling that this unit owes its existence to the need of having mounted infantry for not so well equipped modern armies which use a variety of vehicles(not necessarily military by nature) to get their troops(SR uses the battalion for a single land unit) from one point to the other. Hence my guess with the pickup trucks. EDIT: which I think means you`ll have to model a pickup truck when you`re done with the dismounted infantrymen. :D

And btw, what is the Medium Infantry supposed to represent for that matter?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

They represent light infantry units. The difference is just stats. Same with every unit. Countries like the US not only recieve the home made units, but also recieve the global units. But again the difference is stats.

Return to “Military - 2020”