How many Units per battle group

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Deca.Death
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

How many Units per battle group

Post by Deca.Death »

I as Russia am planning on attacking Germany, and this time i want to manage my army with Battle groups so far i have found out 100 of them chinese artillerys work well against garrisons but what about tanks? How many tanks per battle group would you say, around 50?
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Re: How many Units per battle group

Post by Col_Travis »

In a brigade size battlegroupe for armour: 3 tank, 2 mech, 1 A/T and 1 ADA; mechanized: 2 tank, 3 mech, 1 A/T and 1 ADA; artillery: 3 SPA, 1 APC, 1 long-range ADA, 1 MRLS, 1 transport; engineers: 5-6 engineers and 1 bridging unit; ADA: 3 close, 3 long-range ADA and 1 transport.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

7 units per battlegroup. that way they can all stay in the same hex.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

I was under the impression that a battle group of anything more than seven would not take advantage of human micromanaging, because who knows how the AI would distribute anything in excess of seven.

I am still new to the game, and I have not used battlegroups yet in war. However, based on what I gather from the game mechanics, one option might be to run three or four "types" of battle groups, each with smaller numbers. Having played with my Egyptian army "on maneuvers" a bit, I am actually leaning in that direction for the simple reason: a seven-battalion group tends to disrupt the other stacks that it moves through, whereas battle groups of say three battalions would suffer that 'overstacking' disruption a lot less.

Armor Brigade (for battles outside of settlements)
1 tank
1 anti-tank
1 anti-air

"Siege" Brigade (for attacking settlments)
1 mech infantry
1 arty
1 anti-air

Supply Brigade
1 supply truck
1 anti-air
1 mech infantry else 1 anti-tank (not sure which is better from a general defense standpoint; however, these foot soldiers could effectively be 2nd or even 3rd tier troops as their primary purpose is simply to protect the supply column in the event that something goes wrong and the supply stack gets attacked)

Engineering Brigade
1 Engineer
1 anti-tank
1 anti-air

Reconnaissance Brigade ??
1 Recon or Commando
1 anti-air
1 mobile radar

Not sure about the role of recon/commando units in the game (need to revisit that part of the manual). I understand from the manual that they can "go stealthy" if they are entrenched, so I would think they are good for setting ambushes? Another function they have in some games is to negate enemy ZOC or else to ignore it, but not sure if that is included in this game.

Can't wait for my first war now that I pretty much got the basics of this game!
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Remember, each SR "Unit" contains multiple vehicles - an infantry unit usually contains a battalion of 54 APCs, Engineers, whatever. A tank unit is actually a tank battalion of 44 tanks. It is easy to exceed the bounds of reality in the game - it you have over 204 M1 Abrams tank units then you own more M1 tanks than have actually ever been built in the real world.
Anthropoid wrote: Not sure about the role of recon/commando units in the game (need to revisit that part of the manual). I understand from the manual that they can "go stealthy" if they are entrenched, so I would think they are good for setting ambushes?
On the Unit Command panel, first select a unit and then go to the Individual Rules of Engagement sub-panel. There you can toggle the button that says "Unit set for Stealth Approach - No Land Captured". This is useful for having engineers use Demolition against enemy facilities or when parachuting commandos into enemy capitals. If the commandos are set for stealth then the resident enemy garrisons will not "pop out" when your commandos land.

btw: Recon units are not commandos - they are long range recon units that are not as good fighters as Marines, elite Airborne or Engineers. They can spot and travel farther than their infantry counterparts.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
CheefCoach
Warrant Officer

Post by CheefCoach »

7 battalion general army brigade:
4 mechinised infantry (Because they are cheap for quality they give, specialty those with technology level 117+ and for taking cities)
1 tank (so it looks realistic, and to increase effectiveness on open field, on open field more effective are planes)
1 self propelled artillery (to drop enemy morale, and to softing up larger stucks, I would have more arty if they didn't make so much collateral damages)
1 truck (for resupplying ammo during combat)

7 battalion engineer brigade:

6 engineers
1 truck

3-4 battalion fortress Garrison brigade (but I don't group them)

1-2 infantry (Usually one green beret II)
1 towed artillery (G6-52)
1 tank destroyer

Air attack brigade

3-6 Airborne infantry (but to be able to put them in single AN 225)

7 ships navy fleet + air-land elements

1 supply ship (with amphibious capability)
0-1 nuclear attack submarine
0-1 amphibious assault ship (America class) +2 air squadron (1-2 F 35B, 0-1 Strike Hawk B) +marine expeditionary brigade with 6 mech marine inf and 1 amphibious truck
1-2 destroyers (for attacking land)
2-5 frigates (for launching anti-ship missiles Brahmas)
0-1 battleship (if some enemy sneaks in)
*I care very much for AA capability of my ships.

4-6 Multirole fighters brigade
4-6 Attack helicopter brigade
2(3) transport plane lift brigade (Mi 6, AN 225)

Air defense brigade (usually 2 long range AD battalions+ short range AD and trucks for support)

WS-2 400mm brigades (at least 4 WS-2)

recon and air recon units brigades

(I am suggesting to developers to create different way to bind brigades together in such manner that all units must stay together, even if they are controlled by AI)

Return to “Military - 2020”