One question regarding unit versions

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

One question regarding unit versions

Post by MK4 »

I`m curious what some unit versions represent. So far I have encountered units(tanks, aircraft etc.) that exist in current army inventories(the Challenger II for example), units that are currently prototypes(the black eagle tank for example) and also some units that I haven`t heard of(maybe my fault :D ). So, for example what is the Challenger III supposed to represent? Is it a conventional name for an upgrade of the Challenger II that has of yet not resulted in a named version or is it meant to be a completely new - and perhaps entirely hypothetical - tank altogether? I`m just curious about the logic behind creating such units.
Fistalis
General

Re: One question regarding unit versions

Post by Fistalis »

MK4 wrote:I`m curious what some unit versions represent. So far I have encountered units(tanks, aircraft etc.) that exist in current army inventories(the Challenger II for example), units that are currently prototypes(the black eagle tank for example) and also some units that I haven`t heard of(maybe my fault :D ). So, for example what is the Challenger III supposed to represent? Is it a conventional name for an upgrade of the Challenger II that has of yet not resulted in a named version or is it meant to be a completely new - and perhaps entirely hypothetical - tank altogether? I`m just curious about the logic behind creating such units.
Most of the future units are hypothetical although some are based on current prototypes. The logic was to give future units and not have unit designs end in modern times.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Fistalis wrote: Most of the future units are hypothetical although some are based on current prototypes. The logic was to give future units and not have unit designs end in modern times.
Do you happen to know from my example if the Challenger III is meant as hypothetical? :D Of course, I personally would have preferred to only have current designs(be them produced or just prototypes) as that would have given me the opportunity to play with the weapons I read about and to go less into hypothetical. So far I`ve been tempted to go more on the sentimental (rather than the pragmatic) way by choosing designs that I know from outside the game and as other states popped up future weapons I`m sorta forced to upgrade my army now. But what puzzles me is that not all countries seem to get these hypothetical units. For example the south koreans and germans seem to stay with current tank designs, while the british needed an upgrade on theirs. This, as far as I can figure from my ongoing campaign. Is there a list of the in game units posted somewhere so I have an idea of what my lie ahead?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

MK4 wrote:
Fistalis wrote: Most of the future units are hypothetical although some are based on current prototypes. The logic was to give future units and not have unit designs end in modern times.
Do you happen to know from my example if the Challenger III is meant as hypothetical? :D Of course, I personally would have preferred to only have current designs(be them produced or just prototypes) as that would have given me the opportunity to play with the weapons I read about and to go less into hypothetical. So far I`ve been tempted to go more on the sentimental (rather than the pragmatic) way by choosing designs that I know from outside the game and as other states popped up future weapons I`m sorta forced to upgrade my army now. But what puzzles me is that not all countries seem to get these hypothetical units. For example the south koreans and germans seem to stay with current tank designs, while the british needed an upgrade on theirs. This, as far as I can figure from my ongoing campaign. Is there a list of the in game units posted somewhere so I have an idea of what my lie ahead?
Open the defaul.units file or use one of the unit viewer/editors. Theres something like 3000 different units in the game so. While nations with currently modernized armies get more specific upgrades at the begining of the game once your so far into the future most of the units become generic types available to everyone. The reason you not seeing some countries upgrade is probably due to tech levels.

Also you could check out vorious's web based unit viewer, its based on cold war but most of the future units are the same, its the older units that aren't available in SR2020. http://www.webatrocity.com/srcw/

Edit: as to the challenger III being hypothetical or real.. you would have to ask someone who actually worked on the units in game. My best guess would be that it was based on the challenger II CLIP program (which has been rolled into the C2 CSP program)
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you for the reply and links!
Fistalis wrote: While nations with currently modernized armies get more specific upgrades at the begining of the game once your so far into the future most of the units become generic types available to everyone.
Like the GMT Storm Hunter for example?
The reason you not seeing some countries upgrade is probably due to tech levels.
Mine is pretty low indeed(92 I think), but I thought that since I can see such things as the F-35 and the storm hunter in other countries`s lists I probably see all units that have been developed so far by them.
My best guess would be that it was based on the challenger II CLIP program (which has been rolled into the C2 CSP program)
Thanks! That`s the sort of educated guess I was looking for. I was considering the same program tbh.

A bit offtopic. Do you happen to know how the Mig-25 works in terms of its high air target tag? What I`m wondering is if I have an Eurofighter which is a mid air target(with 0 high air attack) I suppose I can`t shoot the Mig-25 unless it engages me first. But is the Mig-25 forced to come down to the Eurofighter`s level to engage or can it also shoot at it from high altitude(where it is impregnable)?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

MK4 wrote: A bit offtopic. Do you happen to know how the Mig-25 works in terms of its high air target tag? What I`m wondering is if I have an Eurofighter which is a mid air target(with 0 high air attack) I suppose I can`t shoot the Mig-25 unless it engages me first. But is the Mig-25 forced to come down to the Eurofighter`s level to engage or can it also shoot at it from high altitude(where it is impregnable)?
I know some units have to change altitude to attack(making them low or mid air targets during attacks).. but to be honest i'm not exactly sure about the specifics of the MiG 25. I would think they do.. but am not certain.
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

What about Units like the P-8 replacing the P-3 or the Kc-46 program. Can anyone point if this are included in game. Cause i am almost sure that i have seen EADS MMRT tanker (A310) in game, but i do not remember seeing it for a while now.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Military - 2020”