do Reserve units react if their town/complex is attacked?

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

NukemRico
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

do Reserve units react if their town/complex is attacked?

Post by NukemRico »

Restarting my Israeli sandbox game, having learned more and have a new question. If a town/complex is attacked and there are units in reserve there, do they react? Gonna move Israel's starting reserve units around some and would like to station some at every entry point in the likely event of surprise attack. I'm still reading the fine ROE tutorial Ruges posted, and want to lock the defense minister out entirely but was curious if that would keep units from activating or at least returning fire if attacked in reserve. That way they could be used as garrison units instead of spending money building actual garrisons.
Lost control and went off the steep learning curve.
Cutlass
Major

Re: do Reserve units react if their town/complex is attacked

Post by Cutlass »

What will happen is that you will get a message letting you know that enemy units are approaching your base (barracks) and asking if you want to activate the reserves there. So, yes, if you are willing to build a lot of barracks and put reserve units in them you could more or less substitute them for garrison units. I would be willing to bet though that over the long run that approach would end up being a lot more costly than simply using garrison units, if for no other reasons than that you have to build and maintain all those barracks, as well as the units that you're putting into reserve at those locations. Not to mention potential problems with manning all those reserve units if you get hit hard enough and fast enough.
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

thx! ya I came across the barracks issue as well. I dunno why I just assumed you could reserve units anywhere you wanted. Israel's starting layout of barracks is sufficiently widepsread that I'll just leave everyone where they are. still learning this game and each time I play I learn tons more about it and really love the depth and complexity. :D
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Units in a barracks will deploy if the facility is attacked and will defend themselves, as long as the ROE is nominal. This applies to aircraft as well so be wary of keeping them based on the front lines. I have lost many squadrons to ground units.

I play exclusively with the Defense Minister locked out and all units on High.. (reaction?, .. something, I forget the name)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

Initiative I believe. I dunno, it seems like I cant really lock out the defense minister. I have to turn all 3 branchs down to no initiative to keep them from occasionally activating and wandering around. with the minister locked out of garrison control and spending and everyone set to no initiative I have full control. I need to re-read the ROE tutorial someone did on here cause i'm probably doing it backwards.

Return to “Military - 2020”