Light INfantry Weakness

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

raybaudi
Captain

Light INfantry Weakness

Post by raybaudi »

Can someone explain me why Light Infantry (from early times in the game) is so weak, by weak I mean they get so severely damaged at each enemy hit?

To my understanding they have a Relative Strenght of 54 and 18 on both the Ground Defense and Close Defense. They should operate at a reasonable good level at the battlefield. However they don't. They are the hardest hit when facing garrisons. Something like three or four shots kill them.

Thanks
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Light INfantry Weakness

Post by BigWolf »

I maybe wrong, but I think
when in 'open hexes' they will use the Ground defence to determine how hard they are hit
But when in 'closed hexes' (such as cities), they will use the Close defence
I don't believe they aren't combined
raybaudi
Captain

Post by raybaudi »

yes, of course, you're right, but I mean, they have 18 points on both stats. That's approximately the average defense values of any unit during the early game. So why, when facing (open field) and enemy, they get hit so hard. The attack value of the opponent is not high, just average, let us say a BMP-1 or BMP-2
VileThings
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Post by VileThings »

Probably because the enemy units you are facing have a high soft target attack (light infantry are considered a soft target).
backes42
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Post by backes42 »

I use them early in the game, you really have to manage them well or expect to lose some. Make sure you've got 7 in a hex and try to have at least 2 stacks taking on a city. Repair often and they'll do the job if you manage them right.

Return to “Military - 2020”