Elite Soldiers Airborne Attack!

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

juanezos
Lieutenant

Elite Soldiers Airborne Attack!

Post by juanezos »

I was wondering if I attacked a city with an airborne attack of 8 units against a city with 8 garrisons. Is there a possibility of victory or will I just waste my units?
sirveri
Colonel

Re: Elite Soldiers Airborne Attack!

Post by sirveri »

That is actually the prefered way to take heavily entreched cities.

Generally the favored unit is the Green Beret II, because it has an extremly high close attack for the model year. One of the best paratroopers is land warrior III, but you won't be getting THAT for a VERY long time.

The reccommended action is to air drop them from planes as oppossed to helo's (helo's will land and get shot up). Then if they start running low on supplies send in a cargo plane to air drop more supplies. The only difficulty comes when you have multiple cities with 8 garrisons each in adjacent hexes.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Servi acualy allot of it has todo with the stealth rating. the Garrisions cannot spot the green berrets 2's. Thats why you will see the advanced war fighters 4 not perform as well as the green berrets in the terms of losses.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Very good chance of victory.

Not as good a way to clear cities as air power,but highly effective none the less.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Post by jscott991 »

This tactic changed the game for me, almost transforming it from frustratingly unplayable to too easy (I now limit when I use this to when it would make "real world" sense; no more dropping 16 GB II's into Mexico City on the first day of the war and hoping for an easy win).
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Ruges wrote:Servi acualy allot of it has todo with the stealth rating. the Garrisions cannot spot the green berrets 2's. Thats why you will see the advanced war fighters 4 not perform as well as the green berrets in the terms of losses.
That's not true. GB 2 has stealth of 140, garrisons have spot type 30 which has a range of 30 and strength of 150.

Shooting equals 1/2 stealth, therefore Green Beret II (or one or rangers for that matter) would have stealth 70 while attacking a city. Since you get full spot for same hex that's 80+, it also means ALL adjacent hexes with spot type 30 can spot as they would spot adjacent at 75. Spot type 2 is what I think they should be, but the strength of spot type 2 should be upped to 80 (from 60), however then a person could simply walk up to cities with green berets or some other high stealth unit and not get spotted.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
funkymatic
Sergeant

Post by funkymatic »

What year/techlevel/techs do you need to get GB2's?

I've been playing as Australia attempting a massive invasion of Indonesia (paradropping GBs onto every city over 1M pop) but so far they seem to get ripped apart...
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

funkymatic wrote:What year/techlevel/techs do you need to get GB2's?

I've been playing as Australia attempting a massive invasion of Indonesia (paradropping GBs onto every city over 1M pop) but so far they seem to get ripped apart...
US only. Tech level 109.
Frank
Captain

Post by Frank »

sirveri wrote:
Ruges wrote:Servi acualy allot of it has todo with the stealth rating. the Garrisions cannot spot the green berrets 2's. Thats why you will see the advanced war fighters 4 not perform as well as the green berrets in the terms of losses.
That's not true. GB 2 has stealth of 140, garrisons have spot type 30 which has a range of 30 and strength of 150.

Shooting equals 1/2 stealth, therefore Green Beret II (or one or rangers for that matter) would have stealth 70 while attacking a city. Since you get full spot for same hex that's 80+, it also means ALL adjacent hexes with spot type 30 can spot as they would spot adjacent at 75. Spot type 2 is what I think they should be, but the strength of spot type 2 should be upped to 80 (from 60), however then a person could simply walk up to cities with green berets or some other high stealth unit and not get spotted.
Isn't the efficiency of the GB versus the Garrison mostly relying in their Init rating?

GB and similar special forces have an Init rating of 10 versus 2 for the Garrison.

PS: This rating's ingame display is misleading since it's called "Reaction time" and high rating are displayed "High" rather than "Fast".
Last edited by Frank on Feb 17 2009, edited 3 times in total.
MadMaX
Corporal

Post by MadMaX »

Isn't the efficiency of the GB versus the Garrison mostly relying in their Init rating?

GB and similar special forces have an Init rating of 10 versus 2 for the Garrison.

PS: This rating's ingame display is misleading since it's called "Reaction time" and high rating are displayed "High" rather than "Fast".
Woooooooaaaah! So higher reaction time is better???
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

I'm curious as to this aswell.

Is a higher initiative better and if so by how much?

for example garrisons have an initiative of 2, while marines have 4 or so (might be wrong). Does this mean they shoot 2x as fast? :-?
Frank
Captain

Post by Frank »

Well, in the manual, page 67, one can read: "The exact speed of repeat firing is dependent upon the Initiative value of the unit."

In the forum, it have been said so by, at least, Opthalamia, Tkobo and Balthagor in the thread "reaction time + enhanced range".

Balthagor also said in the thread "Questions regarding aircraft":
Balthagor wrote:1km vs. 2km - no difference to the game, still one hex.

Initiative is a number of factors including how fast a unit reloads, retargets and responds to player orders.

So we still don't know the details (George, if you read this... :-) ), but we do know that an higher "Reaction time" is better.

Attention, don't confuse the "Initiative" setting one can change in the ROE.
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

There is unit's initiative (as in unit's ROE, not global ROE). That initiative effects how fast unit targeting, response to order/threat,....

There is data file initiative (known as rate of fire in SR2010?) which is response time in unit tech readout in SR2020. This is how fast unit reload (or rate of fire).

Am I correct?

Normally, I pick higher response time if there is a small stat different in the units I want to use. I also set most units' ROE initiative to medium or high. All main combat (direct and indirect) units are at high initiative, support are at medium.

I'll pick SF if I can't get GB.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Ahhh.... one word many definitions....

I always took unit initiative,the one we set, to include how independent a unit would act.As in how able to take personal initiative.(one's personal, responsible decision to act)

And the reaction time initiative,the static unit stat, to be all about how fast that unit will act.How fast it targets,fires,etc...(readiness and ability in initiating action)
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Frank
Captain

Post by Frank »

Good to know
Balthagor wrote:The actual range has no impact on who fires first if they are still within the same number of hexes (divisions of 16km)

Initiative rates are different per class IIRC.(...)
Now I would be very interested to know more about these differences.

For example, given they have the same Initiative* value, what unit would attack first between a Recon and an Infantry unit?

* Please note that I'm talking here about the Initiative value (Default.UNIT's "Init" value (J column), which is displayed (as far as I know) as "Reaction time" in game), not the ROE's Initiative setting.

Return to “Military - 2020”