Strategic Bombers and missiles

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

rao
Lieutenant

Strategic Bombers and missiles

Post by rao »

Hey guys

I used strategic bombers (while playing usa and russia) but i see that they take lot of damage and when i bomb the whole hex,... there is very little damage,.. i bomb with many bombers..and nearly all the enemy units survive with some little scratches...

(please increase the damage of units that really do damage like B$TcH

and secondly same with missile when i toggle all my air units to unleash the missile arsenal, they do fire the missile from long range in safety but then missile wont do much damage

i havnt tried nuclear missiles yet, do they do alot of damage and btw , would there be a kind of big boooomb or just a crack poppper explosion like other missiles..?

awaiting for reply
thanks
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Re: Strategic Bombers and missiles

Post by Legend »

Do the missiles / bombs get shot down on the way? Are there any AA units in range?

Just one thought I had.
brekehan
Captain

Post by brekehan »

Legend wrote:Do the missiles / bombs get shot down on the way? Are there any AA units in range?

Just one thought I had.
I've shot approx 15 missiles that supposedly do 200+ dmg, from my air units, into a lone tank all by hisself, he just keeps on trucking... He takes some dmg, but less than as if I just had two tanks firing on him.

Unless tanks shoot down missiles.

My air units are still taking dmg from enemy infantry units as well, they get shot down very quickly. The game still does not allow the use of aircraft over enemy territory without them being suicidal.

I really don't see how 5 APCs should be taking out 5 Migs....
monty845
Warrant Officer

Post by monty845 »

Regarding missles, they are very vulnerable to low altitude AA. When being fired from a single aircraft, the first few missles will go in, and get shot down, then the ground unit will reload and shoot down most of the next wave etc... If there are dedicated short range AA units in the stack they will devestate incoming missles.

With the new update I don't know about level bombers, but most ground attack aircraft drop to low altitude to engage ground targets. At which point the low altitude AA that most if not all units have will rip the aircraft to pieces. I my opinion ground units have overpowered AA. In paticular, ground attack aircraft, which are usually designed to resist small arms fire, are still torn apart. Where ground units are using small arms to engage aircraft or missles, it should be very weak. The key would be to preserve the effectiveness of intrinsic AA against helicopters. If you want to defend against missle or aircraft attack, you should need to have actualy anti-aircraft weapons, not just be shooting your guns in to the air
Scott_B
Captain

Post by Scott_B »

Most bombs should not get shot down at all. Neither radar nor mechanical sights can really lock on a bomb falling at terminal velocity or higher depending on how it is dropped. I mean they could get hit by accident but... Plus the danger and almost suicide run of sending your plane into bomb range more than makes up for a high hit chance against the enemy IMO.

Also the Russian high velocity missiles such as the Shipwreck should be hard to target and shoot down. The cruise missiles are subsonic telephone poles which make them easy targets but some of the AGMs are really small in comparison and fast. Not sure if there is a target radius or such for missiles.
BigD145
Captain

Post by BigD145 »

The US hasn't even been able to shoot down missiles that have beacons on them. Bombs? Nobody shoots at a bomb.
rao
Lieutenant

Post by rao »

but where the hell is the damage cmon..

iam dropping bombs and firing missiles of planes and artillery... not crackers.. or fire works stuff

WHERE IS THE DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

DE JABU!!!!!

(This was discussed a lot in the SR2010 forums...)

I haven't really use missiles in SR2020 (I have issues deploying then in the way I want) so I don't know yet how bad is the AA shooting down bomb missiles in this edition...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

In SR2020, missiles are still vulnerable to low altitude AA.

IMO, missiles' hitpoint should be increased by about 30-50% to make them hard to shoot down. They could use some speed bonus too. If missile has it own target type (rather than being low altitude target), there could be techs to improve units missile defense capability and missile defense sat would be more useful. I was a bit disappointed to see missile didn't change much from sr2010 (missiles are still easy to shoot down and their usage are still tied to unit's role).

Missile damage: I think missiles inflict acceptable amount of damage if it hits the target. One missile that inflicts 400 damage (quite rare) to a hard target is the same as one btn of 18 artillery each inflicts 20 damage (very common) and far less than one btn of 18 artillery each inflicts 40 damage (40x18 = 720). Missile damage (and hitpoint) could be increased to represent group of missiles instead of single missile as now.

Strategic bombers: they should be able to engage ground targets and bomb hex at mid air altitude. I haven't use bombers much, but they seems to fly low sometimes (they get shot at by units that have no mid air capability).
suspect20
Lieutenant

Post by suspect20 »

There are a lot of mid range flying missiles that do area effect damage and that stay at mid altitude for the duration of their flight. This means very few units can shoot them, even most AA. The damage on them looks less at first glance but they almost never get shot down and will damage every unit in the stack. Almost every unit in the game has some limited low altitude AA fire. When you attempt to shoot low flying missiles into towns or even near large stacks the combined fire will destroy most missiles before they get to their target. Used defensively the single target, high damage, low altitude missiles work great. It's also worth noting that higher level tanks can withstand a lot more damage. It only takes a few missiles to destroy many of the older soviet or m60 tanks a lot of the world starts with. It takes many times more to destroy a Merkava or any of the higher tech tanks.

What area of the map are you playing in? Strategic bombers stay at medium altitude while bombing. I have not noticed them taking much damage at all through my use. Only other planes or long range AA should be able to hit them. They do a lot of damage to buildings, but limited damage to troops inside of cities. If you use bombers on troops outside of cities they will take noticeably more damage from them.
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

I just found out who's been hitting on my bombers. The KS-19 AA guns. They can reach mid air targets but they couldn't do much damage anyway.
Orcha
Sergeant

Post by Orcha »

Well, i show this thread again regarding my problem also with missiles and Strategic Bombers..

So, in the latest patches, is this issue had been solve ?
I am still playing SR2020-GC v. 6.5.1 currently.

Still have the same problem, I've tried spent ~100 missiles from 3 units B-52 fired in long range in just one sorty. And all of them easily shotdown by 2 units AA unit in the city. Only couple of them hit and with only a very low damages. Hmm, very huge amount of money just spent in a short time :-(

So, i have to kill those 2 AA first then i can fire the missiles ?
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

So, i have to kill those 2 AA first then i can fire the missiles ?
Would be helpful. I personally would use the missiles to destroy the AA 1st, use 2 bombers firing from different areas like one firing form the north , the other from the south. Use the 3rd from another direction if possible. Also check the dmg of your missiles vs the unit type (soft or hard target) and remember that 1 missile will usually only kill 1 vehicle, a battalion has several vehicles to destroy. Some units also have built in AA or high air defense value, again try firing missiles from multiple directions.
Orcha
Sergeant

Post by Orcha »

Oh.. that's make sense... Attack from multiple directions..

Is there any research to increase the effectiveness of missiles ?
What about GPS Misiles ? I've seen the tech, but don't know exactly the use.. Is it to make cruise misiles more accurate in targeting ?
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

any units armed with ARMs? could use those to take out the enemy AA first before you roll in with your B-52s

Return to “Military - 2020”