Helicopters

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Helicopters

Post by Hellfish6 »

Specifically transports. Aside from the heavy helos (Mi-26, CH-53) I'm not seeing the usefulness of the light/medium transport helicopters. Even when I split light infantry battalions into two seperate units, it's still really hard to find a helicopter that has the capacity transport them.

Is there another functionality that I'm missing? Are there other ground units that are better suited to be transported by, say UH-60s or Mi-8s?
"Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
dust off
General

Re: Helicopters

Post by dust off »

Good point. This is one issue that realism on the cargo capacity on helos such as blackhawk could take a back seat to enabling them to enabling them to carry any foot infantry.

I use many of these helis to supply urgent demands.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

How do you use helos to supply other units? I've tried it (it worked in SR2010, right?) and nothing seemed to happen.
"Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
monty845
Warrant Officer

Post by monty845 »

I only build the larger choppers, so I'm not the best to talk, but the V-22 and V-44 are great. I haven't had any problem transporting foot infantry. If alot of them have trouble, why not just reduce thier weight (the infantry's weight)? On an asside, aren't light infantry motorized? If you use the merge bug on a few V-44s (doubling strenght) they can carry hefty payloads...

I have found choppers very useful for supply purposes, they are paticularly useful for supplying vehicles out of gas with no supply, but again, I only use the biggest coppers
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

How do you use helos to supply other units? I've tried it (it worked in SR2010, right?) and nothing seemed to happen.
Just park them in the same r adjacent hex. Right?

I generally only build large helos butt use the stock of smaller ones. Also will build smaller if its got good stealf but the larger versinon have this too for my spec ops.

I do use attack helos as light Cav.
brekehan
Captain

Post by brekehan »

dust off wrote:
Just park them in the same or adjacent hex. Right?
I see no way to "park" any air unit at all. There is no move to. They have to constantly fly I assume. The only way I see to get them anywhere is "air patrol" and then they only stay for a second. Please describe how to "park" and air unit.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

You can "park" helicopters. You can't "park" other aircraft. By "park" I think they mean that you can put a helicopter somewhere... other aircraft are "mission air" and must use air strips or other such places.. like air craft carriers. And yes, helicopters can transport land units and they can provide supply just by being in the area.

Return to “Military - 2020”