Carriers....

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Claudius
Sergeant

Carriers....

Post by Claudius »

I'm unable to land or transport any air units on these it seems. Whats the point of them besides the air defense/attack value they seem to have?
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

I was able to land a helicopter unit on my carrier last night.

You need to make sure you've got a real aircraft carrier (some are only VTOL carriers, which you'd never know unless you were a naval buff) and also make sure the aircraft you want to load onto the carrier is carrier-capable.

Do you know what kind of carrier and aircraft you were trying to use?
"Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
nickwjm
Sergeant

Post by nickwjm »

I have played around with carriers a bit and you can land aircraft on them but only upto the carrier capacity. For instance the UK L-12 can only have one squadron. You need to double check that the type of aircraft can land on a carrier, and that it can land on your "Type" of carrier, i.e. short deck, or long deck.

Other than that its very awkward trying to land aircraft on carriers if the carrier is moving, best to stop it and then load up. If not I think the carrier may of moved hexes before the aircraft arrives. It should be just a case of highlighting your aircraft and left clicking on the carrier, if its on the same space and capable it just lands and you will no longer see the aircraft circling your carrier.

Once this is done when you click on the carrier you will see the aircraft in the same space, very much like you had two units on the same space. You have to be a lil careful when moving the carrier that you dont click "all units" and select destination. If you do the aircraft will launch and go there first. Unless you want to do this of course.

Anyways hope this helps
Claudius
Sergeant

Post by Claudius »

Hellfish6 wrote: Do you know what kind of carrier and aircraft you were trying to use?
CVN-78 Reprisal (says carrier capacity 5) and F-22a raptor.

I guess it was the plane then. What kind of aircrafts in general are able to land on carriers?
nickwjm
Sergeant

Post by nickwjm »

I guess your playing the US? if so thigns like the F-35 or AV8B for short or long deck carriers, and versions of the F14 / F18 for long. I am sure there are others but I never play US so dont know =)

If you click on your aircraft units there should be an icon indicating they are carrier landable. Try looking for it on the F35.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Two of the F-35 versions are carrier capable, one is not.

And nickwjm is correct, the F-22 Raptor is not carrier capable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

nickwjm wrote:I guess your playing the US? if so thigns like the F-35 or AV8B for short or long deck carriers, and versions of the F14 / F18 for long. I am sure there are others but I never play US so dont know =)

If you click on your aircraft units there should be an icon indicating they are carrier landable. Try looking for it on the F35.
F35B is VTOL (short deck) F35A is Long Deck. F/A-18 is the best Long Deck Interceptor I could find yet in 2010. Don't know if they added more for 2020.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
geminif4ucorsair
General

A Carrier-capable aircraft guide - quick-n-dirty

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Here is a quick-n-dirty guide to what is Carrier-capable from long-deck carriers (CVNs, etc) - not necessarily in order of historical appearance:

* A-4B/Q Skyhawk
* A-4KU/M/N Skyhawk
* Yak-38M Forger II (VSTOL)
* A-4SU Upgrade Super Skyhawk (Singapore)
* F-14 Attack Tomcat (is similar to Grumman's Tomcat 2000 proposal,
eventually nearly all upgardes were incorporated into late-F-14D
* AV-8B Harrier II (USN variant) - VSTOL
* FRS.1 Sea Harrier
* FRS.2 Sea Harrier (prob. same as Indian Navy FRS.51 version)
* EA-18G Growler
* A-12 Avenger II (stealthy naval attack aircraft)
* F/A-18D Hornet (two seat attack aicraft version)
* F/A-18C Hornet (single seat multi-role fighter)
* Su-33 Flanker
* Yak-41M Freestyle (VTOL)
* Mig-29K Fulcrum Naval
* J-10N Jian (hypothetic naval carrier variant of J-10A in PLAAF/China)
* F/A-18H Super Hornet (hypothetical variant, Harpoon-capable)
* ACX-II Rafale M (carrier-capable Rafale, Exocet launch capable)
* F/A-117 Seahawk (hypothetical, carrier-capable proposed navy version)
* F/A-18J Super Hornet (hypothetical, near-future version)
* F-35B Lightning II VTOL (one of two JSF carrier-capable versions)
* F-35C-CV Lightning II (long-deck takeoff/landing variant for carriers)

Mission support -
* E-2B Hawkeye
* E-2C Hawkeye
* E-2C Hawkeye 2000 (each version getting more advanced capability)
* E-2D Hawkeye 2005
* Yak-44 Yakovlev AWACS
* E-2E Hawkeye 2010
* AN-74R Madwatch AEW - should be long-deck CV - don't try otherwise
* S-2E Tracker ASW
* S-2T Tracker ASW - turboprop upgrade with higher performance
* S-3B Viking ASW
* C-2A Greyhound (carrier-capable transport)
* KA-6D Instruder Tanker (aerial refueling version of retired A-6)

Unmanned, combat UCAS -
* X-45CN (A-45C) Pegasus-Naval - sort of hypothetical version of USN
future variant of X-47 chosen for UCAS-N program)

And, dang, they dropped my favorite: A-1 Skyraider ('Spad') !

---------
VTOL carriers in the game include:
* LHD-1 Wasp
* Conventional VTOL carrier (all players could build)
* LHA-1 Tarawa
* L-1 Landing Craft Transport (all players could build)
* LHA - J - Japanese grunt carrier
* LPD-1 Hanjin - South Korean
* LHD-53 IZAR - Spanish
* LHA-9013 Mistral - French
* LHA(R) Cherokee - hypothetical future USN ship - smaller than MPF(F)
* C-552 Cavour - Italian
* LPH-09 Gugarat - hypothetical future Indian grunt carrier
* CV-16 Sea Fighter - hypothetical future USN ship
* Terpercaya - hypothetical future for several navies (ROK, etc)

--------------

Is that enough to think about? And, any helicopter should be able to land on any carrier (CV/CVN), LPD or LPH - but most likely LPDs will be excluded if Goat went to 'squadron' versus 'numbers' of planes in programming.....
[still not there in demo game yet and awaiting my mailed copy...so, not
sure]

Goat want to help us out?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Are aircraft on carriers still unable to reload missiles while on them ?
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

tkobo wrote:Are aircraft on carriers still unable to reload missiles while on them ?
yes
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
RobARich

Re: Carriers....

Post by RobARich »

I successfully landed 2 aircraft on my first carrier and set sail for a distant port. When I checked back later my carreir arrived at the port but the aircraft dissappeared. Any ideas what might have happened? Can carriers not transport?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

What probably happened is that when you intended to give the order to the units, you selected all the units and gave the move too, this makes the aircraft try an fly there on their own, not reach it, and rebase perhaps not to the carrier. You'll see that if you elastic band a carrier with aircraft that the carrier and the aircraft are highlighted in the selected list. If you select the naval branch button, it will unhighlight the aircraft and then you can give the order just to the ships. I've asked George to default landed aircraft to not be highlighted in the selected list when elastic banding but I'm still waiting on that...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BigD145
Captain

Post by BigD145 »

You can land aircraft on a carrier, but it seems you can't really "load" them onto a carrier. You point a plane to fly to a stationary carrier and it will land on it, but then it tends to get up and fly around some more. If I wanted it to patrol, I'd tell it that. If you are close to land or some other aircraft, your plane then gets shot up. A load option attached to the carrier/plane capacity and not the supply limit should work. It's not as if a plane lashed to the deck actually takes up cargo space.
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

Airplane only takes of from carrier if it can not find space to land as in the case of carrier runs out of room to store airplane or when you try to land long deck airplane on a short deck carrier (VTOL carrier).

All long deck carriers have thier airplane capacity listed in the technical readout. The capacity range from 1 to 5. For example: the conventional large carrier can carry 2 airplanes. Only the US CVN-78 Reprisal can carry 5 airplanes.
BigD145
Captain

Post by BigD145 »

It was a 2 plane long deck carrier and I only had 2 planes, both long deck capable. I'm fairly sure of that. The only thing I can think of that might have happened is if the one chopper I had near some other VTOL carrier about 100km away had interfered. I just know I ended up losing a plane while I wasn't looking and the other plane was badly damaged. I'd be happy if there was a way to attach a plane to a single carrier or at least give priorities for VTOL planes to seek out the nearest VTOL carrier, if that chopper was the issue.

Return to “Military - 2020”