economics 101

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

asurob
Corporal

economics 101

Post by asurob »

So, would it be better to think of 2020 as an economic/diplomatic simulator as oppose to a military one, given the helter skelter nature of combat?

Having toyed with the demo over and over I can see how engaging both diplomacy and the economics can become...its the military end of the game that just seems....wrong...
Bateman1982
Lieutenant

Post by Bateman1982 »

The economy part of the game is my favourite thing so far, though it seems to take a while to get a feel for how things work.

New game as Wales and my GDP is dropping, unemployment rising to 6% and my inflation is now about 0.5%.
Getting some facilities constructed to try and get the unemployment back down and see how things go from there.
Apollon
Lt. Colonel

Post by Apollon »

What, exactly, are your complaints with the military system? To me, it feels more realistic and engaging than most other games.
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Apollon wrote:What, exactly, are your complaints with the military system? To me, it feels more realistic and engaging than most other games.
I think the point is simply this: The economic and diplomatic model of SR2020 are pretty superior, and they strive for reality. On the other hand, the military model has almost nothing to do with how military units actually organize and fight.

Regard,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Apollon
Lt. Colonel

Post by Apollon »

I'm on your side when it comes to lobbying for brigades being modeled in, but come on... It's not as if the entire measure of quality hinges upon that single detail, how ever important it may be to you and me.
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Apollon wrote:I'm on your side when it comes to lobbying for brigades being modeled in, but come on... It's not as if the entire measure of quality hinges upon that single detail, how ever important it may be to you and me.
I concur. However, what can be "fixed" and what is "just the way it is?"

Most of the game is the latter -- that's how it is designed. What can be improved for the maximized benefit? That is why I am advocated the ability to combine units into a higher grouping.

Even with that change, the military aspect of the game, in my (perhaps sole) opinion, lags behind the realism of the economic and diplomatic models. There appears to be an incongruity of design objectives between the three parts of the game -- just watch the forum comments, and you will see this come up over and over.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
rhjyyz
Major

Post by rhjyyz »

Economic models still have a long way to go towards realism.

Plenty of details, but somewhat broken models.

I am surprised there doesn't seem to be much difference between releases.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”