Nuclear Power

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

Nuclear Power

Post by sparky282 »

I've never understood this and still don't to this day

a nuclear power station compared to a coal one is very expensive to run and to build ok it gives twice the power but 4 coal station is still cheaper than 1 nuclear

I've researched clean coal so now they have no effect on pollution or at least thats how I understand it?

So why in all the AAR i read does every switch to nuclear power?
number47
General

Re: Nuclear Power

Post by number47 »

sparky282 wrote:I've never understood this and still don't to this day

a nuclear power station compared to a coal one is very expensive to run and to build ok it gives twice the power but 4 coal station is still cheaper than 1 nuclear

I've researched clean coal so now they have no effect on pollution or at least thats how I understand it?

So why in all the AAR i read does every switch to nuclear power?
Personally, I switch to nuclear because of less workers needed to operate them...at least that is how I cope with high employment issue (or low unemployment :D )...scrap 4 coal to operate 1 nuclear. Maybe it has no effect on employment, I can't say for sure...it would be much easier when we would know how many manpower does each plant use... :-?
Also nuclear power is cheaper to produce even though the plant is more expensive for maintenance.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

In terms of long-term payoff, Hydro is really good right? Very expensive to build, but then uses no resources. I've generally tried to max out all of Egypt's Hydro power slots. There are probably about nine spots along the Upper Nile in Egypt (including scrapping and moving the farms, barracks, air field, etc. near Aswan), plus another 12 or 15 in Sudan that I've always tried to build out. I have managed to get all the possible hydro slots completely filled with six hydro power generators in the Aswan area but have yet to fully max out Sudan after I 'liberate' them. I haven't watched the numbers closely, but it almost seems like it might not be worth it to focus so much on hydro. It seems like the more you build the less electricity each one generates, and the more demand goes up!

Related question: is it not a bit unrealistic that a nation can 'store' such large quantities of power? I thought that at this stage, capacity to store power was the major problem with making 'alternative' energy viable isn't it?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

This has been typed about often, I think in the end it came down to a general concensus. This is what I found on a quick search, a 5 page thread on it. Might be of interest to both of you.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 45&t=13033

I still only build up to Fusion/Cold fusion, for most games, but there are some, playing around games, where I will build solar, if I have a large pool of unemployed workers.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

ok i scanned through the above topic and what I found is

nuclear best at start of game as number 47 already said

fusion then cold fusion best in game when researched

other is also very good when fully researched possibly the 1 of the best but requires alot of man power

cold and petrol do have a pollution value assigned to them, 250 for coal 200 for petrol not sure what researching say clean coal power plant will do to this number?
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks for that link Joe. Very interesting stuff. Its like crack for analytical geek-gamers :lol:
CheefCoach
Warrant Officer

Post by CheefCoach »

It is not very hard to be understood, really. In one hand u have costs, cost of building (cost of facility+cost of industrial goods). In another you have benefits (how much factory produce X (sale cost of product-production cost of product)). Production cost of product is usually base+raw materials. It takes 0.5 units of coal for unit of electricity, and 0.025 units of uranium for 1 unit of electricity. cost/benefits will give u time until facility pays it self.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”