What is the deal with starting debt?

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Rev
Corporal
Human: Yes

What is the deal with starting debt?

Post by Rev »

Do these bonds not get renewed yearly? Why or Why not? What is the deal with these?
Anthropoid
Colonel

Re: What is the deal with starting debt?

Post by Anthropoid »

As far as I can tell, you can ignore them and the only consequence is when they come due, if you do not have enought in your treasury, it will draw more bonds to pay for the one that is due. They you pay a bit more interest I guess. If you were to keep up on that track eventually you'd be crippled by the interest payment I suppose. I am new to the game and have only played as Egypt, but I try to pay off my nations debt within about 5 years.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

That is correct. They can and will cripple you if you fail to pay them off. I have been hamstrung by them before, constanst war, DEFCON 1 and rollover interest rate that got as high as 18% really took a toll before I could get a handle on it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Rev
Corporal

Post by Rev »

The date on these are from probably ten years before I am even playing. Do these still get renewed yearly?
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Its part of the game scenario. Each nation has its own in game history and for some of them that is a history of taking on debt during the previous decade or so. For example, Egypt starts with about $380 B in debt with due dates starting in Nov 2022 if memory serves. They come due after 10 years I believe, but buying them back/paying them off is better since you save on the interest.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”