Building in International Waters: Yes You Can

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Foxbyte
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Building in International Waters: Yes You Can

Post by Foxbyte »

I posted this a long, long time ago and I'm surprised to see several people asking if it's possible but being told it isn't. It is. But it requires a custom campaign, a little bit of modding, and a lot of patience. I also assume it will slow down the game somewhat as supply will be extended further from shore. Oh, borders will look hideous as coastal nations become huge amorphous blobs.

Pick a small, out of the way, coastal nation with an equally small neighbour. When I discovered this glitch it was adding Georgia's break-away states to the Shattered World campaign setting.

Set the territory to be occupied by the nation you want, but set the actual territory to be owned by -no one- so it's UN controlled. Should it be coastal, it will merge with international waters, making them owned by the country in question.

Set this country to be at war with the entire world by default. These options will be in the campaign.csv file and will take quite some time setting up.

Inevitably this region will fall. When it does all international water will be split between the victorious alliance, and once supply reaches the appropriate areas they will be able to be exploited. Oil will never be a problem again.
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

Re: Building in International Waters: Yes You Can

Post by comrade.seawolf »

Hmm, I never though about that. thanks for the info :) I'll have to try that in a massive sea-campaign game
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Just dont forget, when the region falls, the waters are going tobe split between the entire worlds coastal countries, not the UN anymore. Meaning unless you have allot of trespass treaties, or at war with allot of people, you not going to have access to fly and ship units across the oceans. Also if that region does not fall quickly. those who send there ships out quickly will goble up oceans hexes. For instance, UK could send a ship from its mainland to Africa coastline, then up to the north pole. This would effectivly cut off the America's from europe unless they had a tresspass treaty or where at war with the UK.
Foxbyte
Lieutenant

Post by Foxbyte »

Ruges wrote:Just dont forget, when the region falls, the waters are going tobe split between the entire worlds coastal countries, not the UN anymore. Meaning unless you have allot of trespass treaties, or at war with allot of people, you not going to have access to fly and ship units across the oceans. Also if that region does not fall quickly. those who send there ships out quickly will goble up oceans hexes. For instance, UK could send a ship from its mainland to Africa coastline, then up to the north pole. This would effectivly cut off the America's from europe unless they had a tresspass treaty or where at war with the UK.

Yup. It's not perfect, but it is a way for it to work. I experimented with various regions and I was hoping to find a really nice one that would almost immediately fail. If it were possible to edit regions further this glitch would be a godsend. Just give them a single nearly empty tile by the player's border, then as soon as the game starts occupy that one spot to smash them. Then the world's seas would properly split up.

In the end it's a dirty trick, but it unlocks some seriously sweet oil deposits.
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

Has anybody tested this? It is really practical in the game or are there unforseen consequences such as drastic reduction of game speed, crashes or other things?
Is it also still valid for SR 2020 GOld latest version?

Thanks.

EDIT: I would be greatly appreciated if someone could please post a guide for modding (especialy needed files etc.) this. Thanks.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”