Oder river

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Miecznik
Captain

Oder river

Post by Miecznik »

Taking a closer look at one of the screens i spotted that again - Oder river is not modelized on Europe map. I'v read the topic in SR 2010 Geography forum the reasons for wich it was made like that and i will try to persuade you to change your mind on this topic :wink:

1) During the Teheran conference in 1943 it was agreed that postwar Poland border will be based on so called Curzone line on the east and Oder river on the west. After the war proper agreements were made and around 7.000.000 German nationality citizenz were resettled behind Odra river. Terrain was repopulated with around same number of Poles from Poland lost terretories. That makes Oder river significant not only as natual border but also as cultural one, making it western border of slavic populated terrain.

2) Oder river is comparable to Neman river - wich is modeled on Europe map
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neman_River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oder_River

3) Oder river is a border one - not like for exsample Rhine. It has thus less bridges wich can be blown easily. And only 2 larger cities on its border part

Thats why i find that placing Oder should be reconsidered :wink:
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

While you make some good points, I suspect that it will be to late in the development process to allow this change to take place, but you can hope.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Yes, at this point it is no longer possible to make this change, but I've made not for future map updates to consider this.

Most often the rivers were chosen due to their visibility on the satellite imagery, which tends to favor bigger rivers and rivers with more significant river banks, but you are right that border rivers often have a special role and make good candidates for on-map elements.

-- George.
Miecznik
Captain

Post by Miecznik »

Well. It does not change much anyway, except that again Polish-German war will have tentency to be an open-battlefield one

Keep doing good job :wink:

Miecznik
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

I`ve already written about lack of Oder river in 2010, but i got this same answer - in sattelite view Oder river is too small :)
I live nearby (upper part), and I can tell you it`s hard to cross this river without bridge. The river banks are high (ca. 7 meters) and Oder river itself is very unpredictable.
Additionaly is very easy to "open" the river and flood nearby terrain - as Germans did in WWII.
However I can`t agree with miecznik words about bridges - actualy there are many bridges over Oder river. Additionaly on river banks lies many small to medium cities (up to 100.000 inhabitants), and 3 big cities :)

Overall Oder river is important river in strategical and cultural view
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Interesting. Ties to geography.

My grandfather immigrated to the U.S. about 1920. He was a blacksmith from Frankfurt Oder.

My family lost contact with our German relatives in 1942. After the war, contact was unable to be re-established. From what I have read, apparently Frankfurt Oder was flattened by the Soviets and the civilian population did not fare well.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
stegosarus_army
Corporal

Post by stegosarus_army »

he's saying its too small from satellite view
not that the river is actually small
el_slapper
Captain

Post by el_slapper »

yeah, the river is a biggie; Oder in Wroclaw(the city with 100 bridges) can be compared to the Seine in Paris.
War, about who is right?about who is left!
Miecznik
Captain

Post by Miecznik »

I lova ya mates for pushing it trough ; )
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Miecznik wrote:I lova ya mates for pushing it trough ; )
We aim to please :)

-- George.

Return to “Development - 2020”