Oil Rigs In International Waters?

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ainsworth74
Colonel

Oil Rigs In International Waters?

Post by ainsworth74 »

Is there any plan to allow the player to build oil rigs in international water? I always found it quite irritating when there were huge off shore deposits of oil and you couldnt take advantage with an oil rig.

For example the north sea in the europe map.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This is still an area that we're working to resolve but it will be possible to own production upgrades in international waters and there won't be any more of these "ownership bubbles" sticking out from a region. I just can't say yet exactly how it will work or be represented on the map, but it'll be in.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

Good to hear, thanks!

Sir Edmund Burke
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Balthagor wrote:there won't be any more of these "ownership bubbles"
Interesting! But why limiting it to international waters and production upgrades? Couldn't the concept be expanded to include other regions' terrotories and military upgrades? Of course, that would require some kind of treaty to allow the construction of facilities on forgain soil...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well anything can be done if we account for it in the code and have GUI elements to support it, but that's a discussion for another day.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

Im going to hijack my own thread by asking:

When we win a stage in the current campaign all our units get mixed up and especialy annoying production of units and new industries and bases built all get moved or removed all together.

In the new system will this still be true, or will production remain in the same base? And will units stay in similar places?

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

ainsworth74 wrote:Im going to hijack my own thread by asking:

When we win a stage in the current campaign all our units get mixed up and especialy annoying production of units and new industries and bases built all get moved or removed all together.

In the new system will this still be true, or will production remain in the same base? And will units stay in similar places?
All of these questions will have to wait until we unveil more details about the campaign and sandbox systems. I can say that because it is "one map" we can always retain locations when moving around the map, but there may not be "stages" as you're describing above. More details to come...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

Shoot, and here was me thinking I was on a roll for getting intel out of you! :wink:

Ok thanks anyway and I will wait with baited breath.

Sir Edmund Burke
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Draken wrote:
Balthagor wrote:there won't be any more of these "ownership bubbles"
Interesting! But why limiting it to international waters and production upgrades? Couldn't the concept be expanded to include other regions' terrotories and military upgrades? Of course, that would require some kind of treaty to allow the construction of facilities on forgain soil...
We've considered the 'allow production on ally's soil' idea a few times, but there are always a number of gameplay and UI issues, among other things. It makes things complicated.

Of course, one of Balthagor's favorite strategies is to trade away a couple of hexes to allow an ally to build in the middle of his territory; this is of course not realistic, but at least it's easy to see what's happening.

Regarding trying to produce oil wells in waters off the shore of another region, we have limited 'territorial waters' to a very close zone surrounding the shorelines - generally less than 2010, so it works well with concepts like oil wells and 'international waters' construction.

-- George.

Return to “Development - 2020”