The New Breakdown of a Hex

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

red
General

The New Breakdown of a Hex

Post by red »

Excellent blog, Chris. I like the new components feature. It reminds me of a request I meant to make a while ago, but thought would be impractical: add a top-secret type module to bases that reduces the amount of intelligence and spotting information available about them. It should be extremely expensive, but suitable then for one or two key bases where you keep your nuclear submarines, long-range bombers, etc. (How's intelligence looking, anyway?)
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Thanks Chris. Very interesting concepts there.

I wonder how you intend to represent this on a map. It seems that several different facilities (in 2010) terms can be in one hex -- which icons do you display? Or, have the icons be reworked too?

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: The New Breakdown of a Hex

Post by Balthagor »

BigStone wrote:Great development !

Does this also mean that we can expand cities with lets say a hospital , university etc ?

Yeah yeah ... i know i'm more a civbuilder :lol:
You can expand the cities with anything for the list of buildings we provide, or you can edit the list and add you're own buildings tied to whatever technologies you like and effects we make possible. What the engine will support affecting with buildings is still being developed. Currently we do not have hospitals or universities, as mentioned most of the buildings are the stuff you see in SR2010 (research centers, industrial goods plants, AA sites, etc.)
red wrote:...add a top-secret type module to bases that reduces the amount of intelligence and spotting information available about them...
No plans for something like this so far, modding might be possible to add, but we're still working on the more common elements to be placed on the map (After the military stuff I'll be doing nuclear power since the info is easily available). As we get further in we'll only have the more specialized bulidings so we'll have to start making some decisions at that point.

(David is still working on Ops, I've not really looked at any of his notes so far.)
Feltan wrote:...I wonder how you intend to represent this on a map. It seems that several different facilities (in 2010) terms can be in one hex -- which icons do you display? Or, have the icons be reworked too?...
Currently I'm working with the old building images as place holders (a few needed new place holders since some were not in SR2010) but we are having those graphics redone. How exactly they appear on map is not fully decided. We have some ideas we're going to try but if those don't work we'll have to come up with new ideas.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Very interesting concept here!

Couple of questions:

- Will the AI be able to add modules to its existing containers and will it be able to build new containers?

- Is a "fog of war" layer planned for the modules? (Meaning that the player/AI will have to gather intelligense about the containers)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

AI Build; in the design. I won't say yes until implemented (learned my lesson on that one...)

Fog of war; there have been some discussions, current leaning seems to be some items will default secret such as fabrication facilities, others will be always known such as farms. This will be decided later in the development.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

This concept opens a whole new kind of possibilities to the gameplay !

I realy would like to know how the "research" will be in 2020 .... :wink:
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Noble713
Captain

Post by Noble713 »

This new concept opens up all kinds of possibilities. I really like the idea of co-located airstrips and barracks; it should make air-transporting ground units easier, plus I found myself putting airstrip/outpost combos in SR2010 as it provides both transport assets as well as air cover for your ground troops (if an area is important enough to have a base with ground troops, it's probably important enough to have fighters nearby).

This allows for reserves to be stored in key areas without requiring a full military base with unit production.
Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!
Black Metal IST KRIEG!
http://tinyurl.com/ctyrj7

Return to “Development - 2020”