Blog - As far as the eye can see and beyond

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Blog - As far as the eye can see and beyond

Post by Balthagor »

A new blog has been posted, feel free to discuss it here

http://www.supremeruler.com/blogs/
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Sounds like about what people were asking for in relations to subs.
Hopefully this will also result in a descreasing of the subs survivablity after being attacked.
And perhaps more punch for them in there own attacks.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
red
General

Post by red »

Looks good. Did you consider separating radar into air- and ground-looking as well?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We did consider it in some of our discussions but have chosen against it again. There will be only one line of sight.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Hopefully this will make subs better. In 2010, you basically have to stack them for any hope of survival -- while in the real world they would most likely operate alone. The closer we can get to single subs operating successfully alone the better.

A test benchmark I am looking for is, for example, how does an advanced Los Angeles SSN do against some generic 3rd world frigates. I suspect in the real world, this would be a very one-sided battle with the sub having a field day -- in 2010, it is a suicide attack for any lone sub to mess with a stack of low tech frigates. I hope the enhanced detection ratings for subs translates, in part, to a more lethal platform.

Regards,
Feltan
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Remeber however that most frigates fielded by thrid world countries are often British, Russian or German built and have the latest sonar and ASW equipment. We'll need to be very specific when we find what two units to use as a benchmark, but yes I do believe that subs will operate alone with increased effectiveness in the SR2020 system.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Sounds like this mighty impact on how special forces and stealth aircraft are used for the better too.
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

I found the same thing with subs, they are almost impossible to use alone, they have to be stacked. I had one case when one of my Seawolf subs, took quite abit of damage from a Knox-class ship, this is a ship built back in the 60s vs a just about the last word in SSN design, granted I wasn't paying full atention but the SSN should still have had the 45 year old ship for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack.

Also the I always thought that stealth aircraft were no where near stealthy enough, again when fighting 3rd world countries. I can accept when fighting the UK, Frace, Russia etc... that they might not perform as well, but when taking on someone like mexico, who is fielding 20 or 30 year old radar systems, to lose B2 or F117s to that is crazy.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

ainsworth74 wrote:I found the same thing with subs, they are almost impossible to use alone, they have to be stacked. I had one case when one of my Seawolf subs, took quite abit of damage from a Knox-class ship, this is a ship built back in the 60s vs a just about the last word in SSN design, granted I wasn't paying full atention but the SSN should still have had the 45 year old ship for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack.
The Seawolf wasn't fighting the 45 year old ship, it was fighting the SH-60 with anti-sub torpedos that came from the frigate.

The age of the hull isn't as a deterministic factor as you may think. For example, the airframe of most in-service B52's dates from the 1960's or earlier, but the avionics are the most recent and up to date.

Regards,
Feltan
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

Ah, yes forget about helo! :oops: .

It now makes sense that the Knox would manage to damage the Seawolf, I still sunk the Knox though :evil: Muhahaha :evil: .
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Jan
Captain

Post by Jan »

Feltan wrote:[(...)
The age of the hull isn't as a deterministic factor as you may think. For example, the airframe of most in-service B52's dates from the 1960's or earlier, but the avionics are the most recent and up to date.

Regards,
Feltan
i don't think that both environement can be compared, given the noise emited from a '60 sub an one built in a competent shipyard with competent engineer in the last 10 years, it can be said that age really worth.

sub warfare is all about sounds, who will be heard first is dead at that game subs are usually better but they simply tend to not directly shoot everything they hear, simply because they are alone.

now maybe that a wolfpack ala U-boot would act differently.

PS: ok for the sub warfare but now what about ground troops detected by radar at atrocious range?

cheers,

Jan
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Jan,

My writing was poor. I was talking about the hull of surface ships and compared it to aging aircraft. You are correct, there is a great difference between subs from the 60's and the 90's+ --- no comparison really.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Jan
Captain

Post by Jan »

talking about surface units, you are more or less right if you take in acocunt that the ships have to be extensively refitted to be kept effective and finally become expenseive year by year in maintenance term.

PS: about aged airframe, iirc, the last Dakota still in service was put in reserve in 2006 (somewhere in south am, can't remeber where) ;)

cheers,

Jan
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

I actually flew in one back in the eighties from Honduras to El Salvador. It occured to me then, that my Dad could have been in the same a/c in WWII. The first jeep I learned to drive had an engine block from 1944 --but I bet every other part had been changed to include the body and frame. And, although I didn't know the dates of manufacture, I am pretty sure I fired some .45 cal pistols that dated to WWII.

All that stuff got retired during Reagan's build up. We got Humvees and 9mm pistols, and a host of other things like MRE's. Nothing quite like opening a box of C-rations to see it was made before you were born!

If I am not mistaken, Columbia still has some M3 Stuarts in their inventory, but not sure how active they are.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......

Return to “Development - 2020”