Americas answer to Seeland!

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Americas answer to Seeland!

Post by Eldin »

Playing a Cuba (Slightly inspired by some of the AARs here) rampaging through the USA I discovered that one of my Frigates were attacking an American Oil Derrick. When I hovered the mouse over the hex containing the Oil Derrick I discovered that the USA had apparently decided to make a fortress in the sea. How they managed to get all that equipment on to the Oil Derrick is beyond me though. Perhaps some new discoveries in miniaturization?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Americas answer to Seeland!

Post by BigWolf »

Didn't even know you could have land units on Oceanic Complexes lol
I smells a bug!
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

The ai drops units from transport ships in locations like that. Mostly though its some out of the way one piece of land hex area. I have seen it, as your pic shows, dropping units on oil platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
czert
Captain

Post by czert »

Surely bug to fix.
It make sense to reinforce islands, but not derricks.
Can you beat me ?http://czert1938.mybrute.com

Want help to develop/play mod for one of best games ever ? Try this. http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =cfrm&c=11
DavidKD
Sergeant

Post by DavidKD »

Certain nations like Singapore only get their oil from world markets and their derricks, defending the derricks seems quite sensible. But going over the stacking limit of 7 due to the efficiency penalties is bad of the AI. Defending a derrick with 7 ground units and 7 naval units is what the AI should be doing there.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

The only land based units that should be allowed access to ocean complexes should be foot infantry. IFVs, tanks and other combat vehicles does not belong on an ocean complex.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Actually Eldin makes a very valid point.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I agree, some hexes just wouldnt be able to support certain vehicle types. In some areas, some hexes should not be able to be entered by any units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hundane wrote:...some hexes should not be able to be entered by any units.
For this we can use an "impassable" terrain type as seen in the antarctic. Where else do you get an area of 16 km-sq that should be impassable?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

Balthagor wrote:
Hundane wrote:...some hexes should not be able to be entered by any units.
For this we can use an "impassable" terrain type as seen in the antarctic. Where else do you get an area of 16 km-sq that should be impassable?

Mountain ranges. Ie. Himalayas, The Alps, Scandinavian Mountains, etc.

EDIT: I mean for specific units, like mechanized infantry and tanks if that is at all possible. Also swamps could be included.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You could adjust the movement penalty for a certain move type to be virtually impassible. But even in the Himalayas, within a 16KM radius isn't there at least one path they can go down? They do move very slow through those mountain terrain pieces.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

Balthagor wrote:You could adjust the movement penalty for a certain move type to be virtually impassible. But even in the Himalayas, within a 16KM radius isn't there at least one path they can go down? They do move very slow through those mountain terrain pieces.
Yes, that is true. However if we think game mechanics here and the AI specifically, perhaps we would see a more functioning AI who would not path into places where it would get stuck, as in out of supply needlessly. Good examples here are Brazil AI vs. its neighbours to the west and India <> China in the Himalayas. Of course this is pure speculation for my part.

Also we could think realism. How realistic is it that a general orders a tank column to traverse the Himalayas or a rain forest? Would it not be wiser to use infantry specifically trained for such?
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

If those high mountain areas were easy to cross, they wouldnt be the barriers they are even today. Finding a suitable path continuously through those areas would have been found and used ages ago as a land trade routes.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

There are roads thru the Himalayas, and they are used to trade and transport.One of the more famous ones runs thru the Nathu La pass,and was recently put back into full operation circa 2006-7.I think its hits like 15,000ft at some points.It was part of the "silk road".I "think" its considered part of the Sichuan Tibet Highway.
tibethighway.jpg
sichuantibet highway.jpg
Its used for trade between china and india.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

Some waters have bridges over them. Does that mean we should let land units move freely over water? :wink: 2 or 3 roads does not justify letting 1000 tanks loose in the Himalayas ;)

Return to “Development - 2020”